Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Central Europe: SEMINARS for OUD, and INDIAN MUSIC
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 09:10 AM
Central Europe: SEMINARS for OUD, and INDIAN MUSIC

Hi Friends,

I am going to be holding some seminars in Central Europe (Czech Rep.) in 2011. We are slowly transforming our residence (an enormous 300 year old heritage building) into a cultural center for the region - the seminars will be held here.

One set of seminars will be for oud playing, makam/maqam, and Middle-eastern music in general - this will be useful for oud players of course, but also for other instrumentalists wanting to gain a better understanding of Middle-eastern modal music.

The second set of seminars will be for the general study of Indian music. North Indian ragas in particular - this will be useful for any instrument and of course sitar. It can also be useful for oud players wanting to gain a knowledge of Indian music Ragas and Talas, and how they relate to both Western music and Makam music. Primarily this seminar will be taught with voice and can be very useful for any musician wanting to learn the basics of ragas and talas with voice.

More info:
http://www.edwardpowell.com/seminars.html

or feel free to contact me directly:
epowell2007@gmail.com

Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 01:46 AM

Hi Ed

Good luck with your endeavors - always good to have a plan - even better when you can act on it. If I was single and no family I'd be down ther helping you build the place ;) but my family is a wonderful thing too.

Leon
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 03:33 AM

Thanks Leon,

Yes, we have to start somewhere. We checked out the EU funding for such things and that looks very positive, however the way those grants work is that you need to pay for all of it yourself first, and then 2 years later you get back 85% of what you spent. So at the moment this is a bit prohibitive for us since we are not sure how to come up with several hundred thousand Euros in cash suddenly.

But on the other hand there is some talk in the family here about selling the place --- in which case creating a cultural center would become much more difficult (obviously, without a large place).

So let's hope that with a humble beginning we can establish enough momentum to warrant further investment, and take it one step at a time. We really feel it is worth because currently Central Europe could use such a center.

myeyes2020
Oud Junkie

Mood: na3im

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 09:06 PM

Sounds very exciting! If possible, perhaps you can post a video of a small part of your presentation to give us a glimpse. Good luck!
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 12:45 AM

Good idea... on this video I start teaching MAKAM RAST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1juvZaSk0A

and I put many more on oud and makam theory on this CHANNEL
http://www.youtube.com/user/4128W10?feature=mhum

Here is a clip I am teaching some Indian Ragas.... however this is at a pretty advanced level of theory - most likely I will be covering the basics at the workshop, depending on who will be there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OllYpRUFf4

Go To Top