Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: Godin MultiOud
Aymara
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 02:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ericzang  
... here the included strings (don't know what brand they are) ...

As far as I know, Godin's strings are made by D'Addarrio ... that's definitely the case on my Godin 5-string fretless bass and I remember, I read somewhere in a Multioud review, that it's the D'Addarrio Turkish oud string set.

Let us know, how you like the Aquilas on the Multioud ... tension and sound wise.

Another option might be to use a Kuerschner oud string set with PVF trebble strings. That's what I would choose, because they are of finest quality and you can order the tension you prefer.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Jaffa Road
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 07:47 PM

Hi ericzang
I cant be totaly sure because I did not take before and after measurements with an SPL meter but mine seems louder after replacing the original strings with Aquila Nylgut, slightly richer sound also.
ericzang
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 02:46 AM

Here's my first sample:

http://ericzang.com/tmp/godin_oud_test.mp3

This is direct from the instrument output into the computer audio interface (roland octa-capture, 1/4" input set for line level). No mic, no amp/speaker. No processing applied. I'm satisfied with the sound. I think it will fit fine for fusion gigs and casual traditional-esque performances. The sound sample above is with the included strings, tuned to Turkish pitch B F# b e a d, played with a Pyramid "khalafoud.com" pick.

I spent some time with the onboard preamp and adjusted the eq for both the pickup and the aura image (using image #3). It has 3 bands. I boosted the bass a little on the pickup, but boosted all the way up for the image. I reduced the highs to almost minimum for both the pickup and image. The mids are down a little for the pickup, and flat I think for the image. Blend of pickup/image is set to 50/50.

I'm very happy with the playability. It feels smooth. The truss rod is great to be able to adjust the action with. It can be nice and low. The tension at the above tuning is good (the -a- string could be a tiny bit tighter). Soon I will put on the Aquila Arabic "normal" tension set and tune it to Arabic pitch and see how that feels. The neck feels a little thicker than what I am used to, but it is slight and I have no problem with it and adjusted easily to it.

The weight of the instrument feels fine to me. Certainly heavier than an oud, but not uncomfortable. I haven't tried standing with a strap yet.

The practicality of this instrument is great for gigging (flat profile, flat hard case, built in tuner & preamp, truss rod, mechanical tuners, and fits well my cheap little fender folding guitar stand). I haven't tested in a very loud band situation yet though.

Cons:
it is fresh from the factory and still has some lacquer smell or something like that.

I had to return the first one I got because the preamp malfunctioned the first day and no sound would come out. (The return process was easy though.)

Doesn't look as cool as an oud (though looks fine), but maybe I can have an artist friend make a design on it...

ericzang
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 08:09 PM

I've now changed the strings to the Aquila Arabic normal tension set. The sound is good, perhaps better in warmth/fullness (but I didn't do an A/B recording comparison yet).

I have encountered a significant problem. I have a buzz/rattle (not the kind of tolerable low action subtle fretless buzz) in the higher pitch G string (nylgut). But interestingly only with the one in the pair that is closer to the ground. These Aquila strings are a bit thicker and I think this is the issue. The buzz occurs mostly near the nut. I've tried adjusting the truss rod but this did not help. I suppose if I could raise the nut a very tiny amount this could fix it. (I put a piece of paper in the notch of the nut to raise the string and this worked, but made the string pair uneven in height).

For now I have replaced the single problem string with the smaller diameter d'addario string that it came with and I do not have the problem (of course it is lower tension, but having the other Aquila still on helps).

Jaffa Road, what tuning are you using with what set of Aquila's? I suppose you didn't have this issue.

Also, I had one loud gig with it so far. I didn't have time to test for feedback because we didn't have a sound check. The monitor was in front of me about 4 feet or so, though off to the left perhaps a few feet. I did have feedback issues, mostly sounding like an open string ringing out, though I don't recall if that was exactly it, but I did notice that open strings were being sustained more than usual. The phase switch helped, I didn't have a chance to engage the automatic feedback notch feature. So, it is not fool proof but I assume workable when adjusted properly. I'll need to test again.

Do the empty frame (toilet seat) types ever have feedback issues?

ericzang
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 04:40 PM

quick update: I changed strings to individually selected Pyramid lute strings. I needed more tension. I'm still experimenting, but it is better than the Aquilas. I don't have the above nut buzz problem anymore, the Pyramid treble strings are thinner (carbon/pvf). The Pyramid wounds when new are very squeaky sounding with left hand slides, so I did the "polishing" trick with very fine (1600) grit sandpaper. With the gauges I have now, the treble strings are a little louder than the wound strings, I think because the tension is a little higher for those. I can post the gauges later if anyone is interested. The sound is good.

Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-7-2012 at 03:27 AM

I'm still experimenting, but it is better than the Aquilas.

I guess, the best choice would be an individually manufactured set from Kuerschner.

Quote:

I can post the gauges later if anyone is interested.

I think a sound sample or video would be more interesting ;)

Greetings from Germany

Chris
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 1-7-2012 at 04:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Aymara  
I'm still experimenting, but it is better than the Aquilas.

I guess, the best choice would be an individually manufactured set from Kuerschner.

But, Chris, you first have to know what exactly you're aiming for. I think Eric is doing exactly the right thing - I can't see the point of "just order a custom set"!

I too would love some videos, very curious about this instrument.

Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-7-2012 at 05:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
I can't see the point of "just order a custom set"!

The point is, that Mr. Kuerschner is a very experienced string manufacturer and you just have to tell him, what you tried, what the result was and what you want to achieve. And I bet, he'll sell you the strings you need ;)

I think, it's worth a try.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
ericzang
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-13-2012 at 04:16 AM

Thanks, yes, I will like to go for Kuerschner next, now that I have a better idea of what gauges I might like to try next. I think I will like a little more tension on the wound strings. I like the carbon PVF trebles from the Pyramid lute series.

Because you asked, here's a little video. Audio is just the from the video camera, getting the sound through the speakers in the room. I think I still had the Aquilas on at this time.

http://ericzang.com/tmp/godin_improv_ericzang.mp4

After some more gigs, I find feedback is not fool proof in very loud situations. I still need to be careful and make proper eq compensation. But, I haven't yet gotten familiar with the onboard preamp's auto feedback reducing feature.

String sustain is much longer than I am used to. This is nice for long slides, helping to do Indian flavored phrases. It is bad for the extra long sustain on open strings that keep sounding longer than I'd want, such as when supporting phrases with a lower octave open string.

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-13-2012 at 07:32 AM

Eric, there's no question that something like this instrument could help make the oud more "mainstream". Enjoyed your playing. Do you feel like it's an oud you're playing?

If sustain is a problem, I wonder if muting the strings a little at the saddle might be appropriate?

Is the fingerboard very polished? Could it use a tiny bit of "roughening" to cut the sustain a bit?

On the looks, which, whether we like it or not, play a role, I sure wish Mr Godin were'nt such an arrogant "improver", because the look of those Spanish guitar-style tuners is unfortunate. It strikes me as the ugliest part of the instrument. He could use some planetary gear pegs, or friction type, and preserve the back-leaning head, or something original and more attractive ...

Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-14-2012 at 10:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
I wonder if muting the strings a little at the saddle might be appropriate?

I think that's it, but it's not an easy task. I might also be worth discussing this with Mr. Kuerschner, when ordering a custom string set. I think he can help.

Quote:

Is the fingerboard very polished?

It seems to be exactly the same as on my Godin fretless bass ... pure unpolished ebony.

Quote:
He could use some planetary gear pegs, ...

I'm totally with you, Tony ... I also wish he would have used planetary violin pegs. But that would have raised the price noticably. A further reason was his intention to build an oud for guitarists, I bet ... this might have been the main reason.

Too bad ... this peg box is too ugly ... I even hate this design on my 12-string acoustic guitar ;)

Greetings from Germany

Chris
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 2-14-2012 at 12:05 PM

Not bad sounding in Eric's video -- certainly better than many amplified acoustic ouds I've heard over the years. I guess if you need to play loud, then this is a viable option to be considered along with all the other "specially made to be an electric" ouds. Actually, the sound in this video is far more natural than the one in Godin's own NAMM show promotional videos.

On the pegbox -- the instrument is built to a price point, know what I mean. As far as mainstreaming...it was reviewed in Acoustic Guitar Magazine in this or last month's issue, by a guitarist...not an oud player.

If you need to play loud enough to encourage feedback from an instrument like this, you should be using a Najarian, or some other solid body alternative - and using custom earplugs on every gig. :) Thanks for the clip Eric.

Regards..Paul
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-14-2012 at 12:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paulO  
Actually, the sound in this video is far more natural than the one in Godin's own NAMM show promotional videos.

Yes, correct.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
jack
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-24-2012 at 10:27 AM

Here's a video I just found which gives a good sound sample of the multioud.
http://youtu.be/Xh52VahWrAY

I had the opportunity to hear a multiloud played alongside an Arabic oud at a Yair Dalal concert recently, and, in my very humble opinion, the Arabic oud had much greater depth, voice, and potency. The multioud sounded very flat and stale comparatively.
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-25-2012 at 01:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jack  
... the Arabic oud had much greater depth, voice, and potency.

No wonder, a good bowl design and wood choice can do wonders to an arabic oud. The Multioud has no bowl and is mainly designed to be played electric.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
rudeog
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Aymara  

As far as I know, Godin's strings are made by D'Addarrio ... that's definitely the case on my Godin 5-string fretless bass and I remember, I read somewhere in a Multioud review, that it's the D'Addarrio Turkish oud string set.

I know it's an old thread, but I got the multioud (still deciding whether I'm keeping it) and found out from Godin support what strings the multioud are shipped with: Godin A11 Glissentar strings.
Info about these strings:
(.22, .22, .028, .028, .025, .025, .029, .029, .033, .033, .041)

excentrik
Oud Junkie

Mood: Now Here, Nowhere...

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 02:57 AM

It's not an Oud...

Tarik
rudeog
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 06:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by excentrik  
It's not an Oud...

Tarik

Yep, thats for sure. I'd say it's more like an acoustic-electric guitar that has the strings configured like an oud. Feels nice to play, but sounds more like a guitar. Also, the strings at the nut are spaced slightly further apart than those on my turkish oud (maybe like 1 or 2 mm wider for the overall width).
Still fun to play as long as you are not after the authentic sound.
excentrik
Oud Junkie

Mood: Now Here, Nowhere...

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 01:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rudeog  
Quote: Originally posted by excentrik  
It's not an Oud...

Tarik

Yep, thats for sure. I'd say it's more like an acoustic-electric guitar that has the strings configured like an oud. Feels nice to play, but sounds more like a guitar. Also, the strings at the nut are spaced slightly further apart than those on my turkish oud (maybe like 1 or 2 mm wider for the overall width).
Still fun to play as long as you are not after the authentic sound.

For sure! I'm totally down with new experimental takes on the instrument, however I'm still stalwart in my notion of what an oud is... Not tripping, just saying...

Tarik
norumba
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-21-2012 at 08:29 AM

Interesting thread. .. I havent played one yet, but based on the clips, the sound is all wrong. Most of of the 'toilet seat' electric ouds sound better, IMO. And the details people have mentioned -- sustain, peg box, nut spacing etc -- tell me this just isnt the ticket. And I need at least 12 strings on mine anyway :)

I think in general, the shallow body and /or closed top approach to electric ouds is never successful. Its the worst of both worlds: it wont by itself have the natural warmth and resonance of a full acoustic build, but it will still feed back. Thats a lose - lose situation.

I have a K& K set up in my Iraqi Fadel. That goes through a stereo pedal board ( wah on oud is fab :) ) then a 50 watt tube stereo rig on stage, and that in turn gets sent to the house -- and no feedback problems ever.

If you're getting feedback, then a) your stage level is too loud or b) it's too directional relative too your position -- usually its the combination of both.

If you're playing a small stage and /or have to use the stage amp as the main source of volume (i.e. no PA) then its a losing battle, and no shallow body design will cure that ill. Bite the bullet, be pragmatic and get a 'toilet seat' oud for those gigs. Im about to bite that bullet myself!

dkhoury35
Oud Junkie

Mood: IM IN THE M-OUD

[*] posted on 6-21-2012 at 02:17 PM

don't like it at all sorry !!!!!!! It sounds nothing like a oud !!!!!!
rudeog
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-22-2012 at 10:23 AM

I ended up returning mine a couple weeks back. I wasn't entirely sold on it, but the deciding factor was that the pickup level was very low (maybe a defect in the one I got). I really enjoyed the way it felt to play it, and my opinion is that in a live gig in the area that I live with my band which has multiple drummers and other loud string instruments, nobody's going to be listening to (let alone hearing) the nuances of the oud and saying 'that doesnt sound like an oud'. Regardless, it doesn't look like an oud, and so, this might sound silly, but it just doesn't look authentic, and our band gets a lot of mileage on the fact that we are playing "weird ancient looking middle-eastern instruments" here in the Southern US where most of the time people come up to us to say something like "you guys are cool! what instrument is that?".

The multioud looks like a short guitar with a weird shape, and there are no shortage of those.
norumba
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-22-2012 at 11:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rudeog  
. Regardless, it doesn't look like an oud, and so, this might sound silly, but it just doesn't look authentic, and our band gets a lot of mileage on the fact that we are playing "weird ancient looking middle-eastern instruments" here in the Southern US where most of the time people come up to us to say something like "you guys are cool! what instrument is that?".

The multioud looks like a short guitar with a weird shape, and there are no shortage of those.

I dont think thats silly at all. I hadnt thought about that, but come to think of it, we've had the same experience. People are hypnotized by the exotica of an oud, and this one wont have that.

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-22-2012 at 05:53 PM

All very true. So what can you tell them that toilet seat thing is? As ugly as those things look, I never understood why they don't put a decorative "soundboard" over the frame. Maybe get a hinged toilet lid. And don't forget a hanging chain and handle.

I remember a tragic tale from the Soviet days. The director of an institute was trying to replace the piece of string that had long replaced the chain in the toilet. But it had to go through committee, and budgeting. Moreover, putting in a request to replace the string would indicate that someone "on the inside" had stolen the chain, and/or that someone wasn't doing his job. Dangerous stuff. Deliberations went on for the better part of a year, with the string, meanwhile, looking more and more tragic. Finally the voted-on solution was to get a clean piece of string.

periklistsoukalas
Oud Lover

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 3-19-2013 at 11:47 AM

Hello Ayamara.

Regarding your comment about the headstock of the multi oud i have the same opinion on aesthetic BUT there's one more most important think about tension.
The traditional oud pegbox is made in a way that can lower the tension of the strings and this kind of headstocks are really a big false ! You can see also electric guitars using the 'tune-o matic' brigde and stop tailpiece which is adjustable so you can choose your prefer height and so the strings tension !
I've been playing oud for like 35 years now and i've been tried hundreds of ouds around the world as i own many also. So i notice the difference of the pegbox angles according to the construction preferences of each luthier and every tradition and it does a difference to the tension.
Of course using proper strings according to the calculation of vibrating length, material and for specific tuning so to have a proper Newton for my pressure and finally strings tension.

So it is a problem of tension for ouds (and other multi stringed - short necked instruments) when the luthier's preference comes to a straight pegbox.
It always gives me the idea of them having tried low quality construction and material ouds with awful pegs that are more sensitive to climate changes. Of course when you have a proper pegbox with good ebony pegs tunning are becoming like butter and stable and i can say even better to use than a gear peg ! If there's some small issue on stability or adjusting of the peg then we can always use the good old times chalk & soap solution !

Regards
Periklis Tsoukalas

Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top