Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Here
Clark1971
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-23-2011 at 10:31 AM
New Here

Hello, all! New here, and new to Ouds. I am a guitarist in a metal band, and went to a birthday party last night with my fiancee. It was a small, intimate gathering, and we heard the sounds of an oud being played in the back room. I went back there, and watched my new friend Mike playing a gorgeous Turkish oud. He asked me if I wanted to give it a try, and I did. Now I have to have one! LOL

So now, I am on the hunt for a genuine, but inexpensive oud to learn on, so that is what led me here. I have been browsing some of the pics, and there are some truly beautiful instruments on here.

If anyone can recommend anything to me, please! I welcome all correspondence. I plan to use the oud in my metal songwriting, to bring in a bit of that Eastern influence.
littleseb
Oud Junkie

Mood: high

[*] posted on 1-24-2011 at 04:14 AM

Hi Clark,
are you absolutely sure you want to go down this route?
Before you know it you'll lock yourself away for months at a time practicing maqams, loose contact with your family, quit your metal band and bore your friends with your latest youtube discoveries of far-out oudists. You will want to learn Turkish and Arabic, hunt down ever-more strings and rishas and get frustrated with your lack of techinque.
If you decide that this change of life style is for you - good luck! You'll have heaps and heaps of fun!!!!!
Keep an eye on this forum for hints and advises and ouds for sell.

Rock on!
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 1-24-2011 at 04:42 AM

Welcome to the forum Clark :wavey:
You could take a look at arabinstruments.com if you want an Arabic oud as they have a range of ouds at reasonable prices. If you want Turkish then I'm not sure who to suggest. What most peolple do when they first join the forum is to search here and on the www and then post the link on this forum of ouds they like and can afford. They ask us for our opinions of their selections and take it from there. I think this will at least help you choose. If you choose something very very cheap then you'll probably have problems with it, i.e. high action or slipping pegs etc...I would advise you strongly to pause at this stage and get to know the oud world a bit before you leap into a purchase. You have made a good start by joining us, there is no better source for information, knowledge and experience than right here on Mikes's Ouds forums.

Best Wishes, Charlie
Aymara
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-24-2011 at 10:53 AM

Hi Clark,

welcome to the forums!

I think, the first you should know is, that we are mainly fans of arabic ouds here, not so much the Turkish ones. The reason is, that arabic ouds are tuned lower ... I bet a metal guitarist will welcome this fact ;)

I do ... maybe because I also play fretless bass and guitar, who knows.

First of all, I think you should search through the forums and visit the Oud Cafe to learn some basics about ouds.

The next I recommend is searching Youtube for OUD to find tons of oud videos of different types of oud to find out, which oud design and sound you prefer.

Happy reading ;)

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Terry Sleeper
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-24-2011 at 01:18 PM

Hello Clark.

I'm a guitarist who bought an oud back in November and am learning that it's a whole different beastie than a guitar. But, like yourself, I felll for the sound of the oud it and I'm hooked.

There are lots of people on these forums who have come to the oud from the guitar, so they'll know what you're talking about when you ask what you may feel are mad questions. These forums are a godsend and will keep you from going crazy!

Go To Top