Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mustafa Copçuoğlu Ud in Portland, Oregon
Plum_Pasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-23-2011 at 01:56 PM
Mustafa Copçuoğlu Ud in Portland, Oregon

Hi - just noting that the "long fingerboard" oud has been sold, but the "short fingerboard" Mustafa is still for sale (see video at http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~ederer/misc/ud/ud.html) - thanks!

xxxxx

Hi all - I advertised these very ud-s here a few months ago but I think the prices I was asking scared some people away. I am now asking no more than what Mustafa himself gets when you walk out his door with these very ud-s (at least he did two Junes ago - prices may have risen since): the "short fingerboard" one goes for $1,400 (including hard shell case); the other would have been $1,600 w/case but got a little scratch, so it's "bargainable." See all the details - scratch and all - and videos of yours truly playing them at:

http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~ederer/misc/ud/ud.html

(Technically the first video is of me playing an ud that is not for sale - I decided I needed that one - but the one for sale is the same model, finished by Mustafa the same day, and sounds like this one did before being "played in." Enjoy!)

[Addendum: there's now a video up of the actual for sale oud - see bottom of the same page]

Eric
Plum_Pasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-23-2011 at 02:21 PM

(Sorry - I just remembered that the cases were another $100 above the prices I had originally put above, there, so it used to say "$1,300 and $1,500" and now says "$1,400 and $1,600" - my apologies. If your budget is really close but that 100 bucks is the killer, let's talk. Thanks.)
Rafi
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-24-2011 at 08:37 AM

just sent you a u2u on this...
btw, your videos don't show up on my computer
Plum_Pasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-24-2011 at 11:59 AM

Thanks Rafi - I just sent you an e-mail. I don't know why the video wouldn't work; I just now sent the link to a friend who tried it and said the videos both opened fine on her computer. Strange. I suppose they are small enough that I could send them via "Dropbox" or some other large file program, if you'd like - let me know. Or we could skype and I could play it.

Anybody else having trouble with the videos?
Plum_Pasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 12:11 PM

Hi again - just wanted to note that I have put up a NEW VIDEO of the walnut-backed "student model" toward the bottom of: http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~ederer/misc/ud/ud.html
Izac
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 06:15 PM

Hi Eric

I have been listening to a lot of anour brahem's stuff, and really want an oud to play and learn. I have been playing guitar for a long time now and would love to get an oud. I realise its very different to play though, but I am very keen.

I have a good size budget but Im not sure if should buy a cheaper one, as with all instruments I buy I like to go for quality over price.... your oud's look really beautiful, and I might consider one if you can ship to Australia?

Your thoughts regarding what sort would be best for me as a beginner etc.. would be much apprecitaed.

Thanks very much for your help

Izac
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 03:02 AM

Hi there

The student model sounds really good but there is a serious step up in sound to the 'pro' oud - lovely stuff.

Leon
Plum_Pasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 08:48 AM

Hi Izac

I also started playing oud as a 35 year old guitarist and found it pretty easy to switch — I’m sure you will pick it up quickly.

I think you are right about buying high quality instruments in principle, even if they are more expensive; bad instruments discourage practicing and generally can only get worse, while good ones inspire a player and generally increase in value over time. For instance, the first oud I bought was a cheap one for $400, but a year later I got good enough to notice why it was not a good instrument, so I was more careful about the next one I bought, which cost me $1,800 — that first oud I finally gave away to a student (I didn’t even feel good about taking money for something of such low quality), while the second one, well, they are going to have to bury me with it, I love it. I could have got something in between and been very happy with it, I’m sure (and I have several cheaper ouds I like very much), but I would recommend thinking of your first oud as an investment.

Then there’s the question of what is a good oud and what is a good price for it. Well, I need to warn you that there’s generally a difference of opinion about this between enthusiasts of the Arab-style ouds and of the Turkish/Armenian/Greek style. I absolutely do not want to start a fight about it here (people can get a little hot on the subject), but let us say that between definite differences in aesthetics and playing styles among these kinds of musics and players, and factoring in differences between countries’ economies (oud luthiers have to eat, too, wherever they live), we may say that you can get a “good” Arab-style oud for much less than a “good” Turkish-style one.

So you should definitely listen to a lot of examples of both kinds before buying; if you like the Arab sound I am sure you will find many helpful players (and sellers) of them on this oud forum, but I can’t be of much help (though, personally, I do prefer the Iraqi style over other Arab oud types). Apparently you can get a “good” Arab oud for $600-700. If you like the Turkish style I would say this: I wouldn’t spend less than $1,000 and I think for $1,600 you can get a really fine professional oud.

I should say that I‘m not an “oud salesman” — in fact I have never even sold one instrument — so I don’t know how much it would cost to ship it to you, or whether it would arrive safely, but if you trust Fed-Ex or some other delivery service and are willing to pay the shipping cost, I am willing to send one of these ouds to you.

But honestly, if I were in your position (by which I mean: living in a place where it’s hard to find ouds; not in a giant hurry; more concerned with quality than economy; not very familiar with oud types and particular makers), I would consider looking around a lot on the Internet and getting opinions on this forum regarding specific luthiers, then finally choosing an oud maker and having him (or rarely, her) make you one from scratch. This has several advantages: you’ll be able to choose the woods and the kind of ornament or details you like; these luthiers will be very experienced with international shipping; and if there’s anything wrong with the oud or it needs to be fixed or adjusted in the next few years, I’m sure they will feel obliged to help make it right. I can’t really do any of that — my assumption in putting these two ouds up for sale here is that it would attract players who are close enough to me that they can come by to try them first, and/or people who are already familiar enough with Mustafa’s sound that they know it will suit them very well.

Anyway, if you’re sure one of these ouds here is right for you, let me know and we’ll see if we can get it to you, or if you would like me to recommend some Turkish luthiers (and I know 5 or 6 personally, if you need a connection or a translation of Turkish wood names, etc. for an e-mail) also let me know — I’d be happy to help. Most (but not all) luthiers in Turkey take about 40 days to make an oud, so the wait is not too long. But if it turns out you really like the Arab-style ouds, well, there’s no reason to spend the extra money on a Turkish-style one. (You can see why I am not an instrument salesman!)

In any case, welcome to the wonderful world of ouds, and best of luck!
Eric
Plum_Pasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 12:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ararat66  
Hi there

The student model sounds really good but there is a serious step up in sound to the 'pro' oud - lovely stuff.

Leon

Thanks Leon - there is a big difference between them, isn't there? I find that the student model with Aquila Arab-level strings, tuned at the Arab level gives a very nice sound for Arab style playing (though I haven't played very much in that style for a few years), while the professional model (especially with Turkish level Aquila strings, tuned where rast is at D) is great for that clear, ringy Turkish sound, or even for playing as though it were a kind of extended fretless bass. Good ear! Thanks for your comment.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 12:40 PM

Hello there

I have two ouds, a very nice Haluk Eraydin 'student/semi-pro' and a full-on Tasos Theodorakis ... same sort of difference in sound. I still play both but obviously the Tasos oud generally wins out for sheer sound experience.

Good luck with those.

Leon
Plum_Pasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 07:38 PM

I added yet another new video to the bottom of http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~ederer/misc/ud/ud.html . The ud in it is not for sale, but it is an example of a Mustafa that has been "played in" (for about 7 years, now). Enjoy.

[Addendum - this seems to make my machine run the page a little slowly, but I'm going to leave it up for now - please leave me a note if you can't see/hear the video!]
Izac
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 04:46 PM

Thanks so much Eric. That is a lot of help to me... thanks for being so honest.

So, when I heard Anouar Brahem's song Al Birwa from The astounding eyes of Rita album, this was my first taste of Oud and it got me hooked and went out and bought the album....!

The question is: is this a Turkish style sound or Arab? I love the sound he get s on this song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD1rouZMRaY&feature=related

Thanks for your help again! much Appreciated!

Izac
Plum_Pasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 05:39 PM

My pleasure Izac - yes, Anouar B. is an amazing musician! I found the answer to your question about his ouds all the way at the bottom of the following link (also here on Mike's Forum - and full of good info/transcriptions of Anouar's work): http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6977

So, definitely Arab-style ouds (one by Gamil Gergy and one by Abdo Nahat, apparently) - here is the clearest photo I could find of his oud itself: http://www.local.fr/sortir/lyon/anouar-brahem-155052.htm

Well, I guess that means your search will continue, but if I can be of further help, let me know!

Best,
Eric
Plum_Pasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 09:51 AM

Honestly, I'm just writing this to see if the thread will stay higher on the list for a while if there's a comment of any sort; I'll let it go after that, put the ud-s back in the closet. I can't sell them any more cheaply than the luthier himself, and they're going to increase in value anyway, so ... thanks for your interest ... I'll probably post them again here in a few months if they don't sell locally.
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 10:47 AM

Nice instruments. Good luck selling them.
Izac
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-14-2011 at 04:13 PM

Thank you Eric! :)

Go To Top