Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud Making Video on Youtube
ExtreamTarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: ...Lessa Faker...

[*] posted on 1-27-2011 at 11:15 PM
Oud Making Video on Youtube

I found this oud making video on youtube, looks nice and wanted to share it with everyone.

The bending is done in an unfamiliar way to me, I guess that has to be a hot tool...he does it so good and looks very easy

Anyways, hope you like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMdSyMlxrj0
Microber
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 04:16 AM

The video gives the impression that they show us how to make a tourist unplayable oud.

Am I wrong?

Robert
Manil
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 06:45 AM

May not be the most advanced technics in making a oud, the video may be old, but will never say it's a tourist unplayable oud, since no one in here ever tried one of those, I have respect for those people that are still using their hand to make stuff, remember tourist ouds are a media to make ouds more known, when you buy a tourist oud and improve your playing you go to the next step and buy a better oud...
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 01:37 PM

I join the opinion of Manil about.
Check this video of Mohammed Fadel, forget about the name and just watch technicity....Now how reputate are his ouds?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyxgdxCTQO4&feature=related

I think technicity is a good way to have an equal result from one oud to another from the same workshop. Then ouds from those kinds of makers, in both videos, always worth a try.

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-29-2011 at 12:59 PM

ExtreamTarab has brought to our attention a rather interesting technique used for bending the ribs of an oud bowl.

As a one time tinsmith and fine metal worker, the machine being used for bending the ribs reminds me of a machine - a rolling mill - used by silversmiths for rolling thick strips soft metals like silver or copper into thinner sheets. The machine consists of two steel rollers that are geared so that they rotate in the opposite direction to each other. The gap between the rolls can be adjusted depending on the thickness of sheet metal required after passing through the rolls.
Although the purpose of the machine is to produce flat sheets of metal, if the metal was forced downwards (or upwards) as it came through the rolls it would become curved rather than flat - the amount of curvature being dependent upon the degree to which the metal is forced downwards (or upwards).

Obviously - from the video - it would appear that the same type of machine and bending principle can be used to curve wooden strips but how useful would this method be in practice to produce ribs that will retain their curvature after bending? Does this process require a rib to be heated or softened prior to bending (the machine in the video does not appear to be heated in any way)?

The only way to find out is to try it and see. I do not own a rolling mill but I do have a set of slip rolls - used by sheet metal workers and tinsmiths to roll thin metal sheet into cylinders. As the slip rolls are similar in design to a rolling mill I shall use this machine to investigate bending wooden ribs as a separate topic on this forum.
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 09:10 AM

for sure here is a mass production of instruments,the craftmanship by what I saw is not the best possible,but anyhow,if there are clients for this type of instrument,this is free Market.
the only thing that amazed me was the mettal elements on the gluing process of the ribs....That really surprised me ,but as I sayed before..It's a free market.And each one of us make his own decision about the instruments that we buy.Ofcourse I respect these persons that they are trying to make a living and to have an income.:wavey:

Go To Top