Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Learning oud for beginners/makam etc
Jimwilson
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 07:40 PM
Learning oud for beginners/makam etc

Hi,

New to these forums but good to see that there is a popular and well used place for the instrument! (which was there was the same english speaking forum for the bombarde, dilruba etc)

Just a quick question to ask if there are any available books or online guides to different makams that are easily transposed into the various tunings?

The only guide I found was in turkish tuning (B-E-A-D-G) with rough fret patterns and explanations. I will be playing mostly in (G A d g c) on a 10 string (I've played another instrument with this tuning so it makes it a little easier.)

I would like to know the best guide to makams and if there is a tablature similar to guitar/other stringed instruments that could be used to get ahead?

Thanks,

Jim
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 08:38 PM

Welcome, Jim.

The tuning you use is common for Arabic music. (though you can tune the lowest string to F as well).

The transliteration most often used for Arabic is "maqam" not "makam", so you might find more info searching for that term.

for example:
Maqam World
Maqam Lessons

By the way, since the oud has no frets, there are no "fret patterns"! ;)

Tablature is possible on the oud, but rarely used (see: no frets!) There aren't that many notes to learn, so one might at well use standard notation (higher positions are not used much except on the two highest strings).

With English-language resources somewhat scarce, transposing and transcribing are among an aspiring oudist's essential tools.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top