Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Egypt
pharos
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 11:19 AM
Egypt

My heart goes out to anyone in Egypt, and to those who have friends and family in Cairo and across Egypt. I have been watching the protests very closely as if they were happening in my own backyard. I feel that it is my country and people that are in turmoil, even though I am an American and am neither Arabic nor have I been to the Middle East. Yet... I feel a strong bond to that land and all the people there, and I always have. I am feeling both excitement and compassion for what is taking place, and I wish them luck in their brave mission.

On an oud related note, lets also hope no luthiers or workshops have been hurt or damaged in the protests! The Museum of Cairo was bad enough... no need to extend the destruction to our beloved ouds!

Blessings to all.
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 08:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSuH2N--QT4
Marcus
Oud Junkie

Mood: Lost in music

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 02:45 AM
Not the right place

Hi pharos:wavey:

although I do agree with you like, I think, the most forum-members do,this is not the right place for your post.

We all see or hear the news about Egypt.

For me this forum is one of the possibilitys to "leave the bad world behind".

So, no offense,I know how you fell about it as I do myself, but PLEASE keep this forums for GOOD VIBES & FEELINGS !!!!

All the best ,

Marcus

Playing the oud is like feeding my soul with peace
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 07:43 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1pvtNopX-I
zou
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 08:01 AM

for mr Marcus :
forums are "life" not paradise so its the good place to wish strength and freedom for our egypt.
ziad
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 08:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by zou  

forums are "life" not paradise so its the good place to wish strength and freedom for our egypt.
ziad

Well said, Ziad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj02R-e0pNQ

God Bless
pharos
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marcus  
Hi pharos:wavey:

although I do agree with you like, I think, the most forum-members do,this is not the right place for your post.

We all see or hear the news about Egypt.

For me this forum is one of the possibilitys to "leave the bad world behind".

So, no offense,I know how you fell about it as I do myself, but PLEASE keep this forums for GOOD VIBES & FEELINGS !!!!

All the best ,

Marcus

I respect and understand that it might not be the right place, however, for me it was the only place which is why I posted it. Its just a message and not entirely off-topic considering the number of Egyptians who visit this page, or people who have friends and family there, to say nothing of the large number of ouds we all own from there which could probably fill a room.

Furthermore, there is no "off-topic" forum here for members to talk about 'reality' outside of the oud. I had no other place to directly or indirectly send these wishes to Egypt, and this was a direct way through my heart's love -music- which carries a piece of that land. As a member of the forum (even though I'm new) this is a valid post as this instrument and music are my personal 'pipeline' to that land, through my heart.

In the larger scheme of things, I completely disagree with keeping reality outside while focusing only on good vibes and good feelings. I will not turn this into a debate, but that sort of attitude is never a wise decision. What if we were to learn that someone dear to members on this forum died or were injured in the protests? Would we then say: "keep that for other message boards, this is Oud Land :airguitar:" ?

If I had the ability to do so, I would have attached an audio performance like the post that was in support of the Tunisian revolt, also in this forum. Certainly if that is allowed, my simple heartfelt wishes are just as valid.
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 09:56 AM

Singing the love of Egypt, with his oud
Sheikh Imam
a poem by Ahmad Fouad Nejm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYceV1LRzrY

For the French speaking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V31Qhlcb0HI
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 01:02 PM

It is always worth remembering that we have forum members there and it is not 'political' to hope for their safety, and for peaceful outcomes for all. Michael Moussa is there and as far as we know , still safe.

Leon
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 02:35 PM

Alami,
Great clip by an icon of ours! Thanks for posting.

Leon,
I agree with you. However, I believe that art in general, including music, is a form of expression. If we tend to convey our thoughts outside the context of music, it is just because we are humans.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 02:42 PM

Hello Hatem

I appreciate your words - I wasn't actually refering to music specificaly, just concern for the welfare of others - I hope for positive outcomes.

Take care

Leon
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 03:54 PM

Hi Leon,

Thanks for the nice comments. I hope that we will share some good news soon.

I dedicate these improvisation to you. I recorded this clip about 3 years ago while visiting with Dr. Mamdouh,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gzD1Og28h4

Best Regards,

Hatem
Marcus
Oud Junkie

Mood: Lost in music

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 12:01 AM

Quote:

forums are "life" not paradise so its the good place to wish strength and freedom for our egypt. ziad

For Mr.ziad,

everything is "life", "paradise" is a wish of a perfect, peacefull world where everybody is happy.
"Everybody" includes all enslaved,suppressed,mistreated creatures all over the world, and the list of examples is endless.Even if the majority is not in the news today, it all happened every single day.Should we post our feelings and thoughts about all this here?

Again,I feel sad about the things going on in Egypt and around,and I really wish that they find a way to solve their problems without violence!!

Dear pharos
Quote:

In the larger scheme of things, I completely disagree with keeping reality outside while focusing only on good vibes and good feelings.

If more people will focusing on vibes and feelings, the "reality"will be not as bad as it is, I think.

Quote:

I will not turn this into a debate, but that sort of attitude is never a wise decision

If you dont want to turn this into a debate, you should say"that sort of attitude is never a wise decision-for me".
But I agree with you, we should not debate this,especially not here!!

BTW: Mike, what do you think about a "off topic area" in the forums?

Playing the oud is like feeding my soul with peace
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 09:47 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07uGR9eKd2Q
myeyes2020
Oud Junkie

Mood: na3im

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 10:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ALAMI  

Singing the love of Egypt, with his oud
Sheikh Imam
a poem by Ahmad Fouad Nejm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYceV1LRzrY

For the French speaking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V31Qhlcb0HI

Thanks for this clip and if it wasnt for this thread I wouldnt have seen this. Perhaps too many threads unrelated to oud may not be desireable. We all have the choice to read and not read what we would like. For me, I'm Egyptian and really appreciate this thread. It is akin to posting "Happy Eid" and "Merry Christmas". I appreciate the recognition that the oud that we know today is what it is because of Egypt's contribution. Hatem's posts remind us that some of the most prominent members of the oud community are living in Egypt's current affair. May God keep them and all people in Egypt safe! The founder of this forum as well as many of it's members are Egyptian and or have and equal connection for some reason or another. During a time where this forum has not really been so active, Personally, I don't feel that this thread is out of place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4hPgYlyPJ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zBDDntJEYE&playnext=1&list=...

Adel Ibrahim

Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 01:55 PM

Salaam ya Adel,

Great comment !!!

I absolutely agree.
This forum created a unique form of friendship among us in a way that is both unprecedented and reflective of the great nature of us as compassionate human beings. We are connected through our passion for the oud and a heritage that continues to affect mankind.
A few months ago, I was sitting in Maurice's shop (who opened it especially for me a couple of times) when Mike called and we did exchange a warm conversation about our common mania!! I haven't met Mike, you, Bibo, Fernand,Emad, and many others in person. Yet, I do consider all of you as good friends.
I am sure that all our surroundings, including big events do result in art at its finest.
Our music might be tears or laughter, might be of joy or pain. However, I did realize that we do share more interests than just the oud. Thus, our bond is even stronger.
May God bless the souls of those who have fallen and those who lost them.

Your Friend,

Hatem

P.S. I also believe that our posts are less harmful than oud scams!
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 03:03 PM

MY ABSOLUTE PROFOUND APOLOGIES TO JOE!!!!!

Joe, I am sorry I didn't mention your name as one of my top friends in this forum.

I am sharing a clip of YOURS that I posted on my face book. Everyone thought that it was me playing (to be honest, I didn't resent that) :)):))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66cjTMy3NDU

Your friend and biggest (and maybe oldest) fan,

Hatem
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 07:49 PM

More than we know, our beliefs grow in our hearts, the brain follows, speaks to the heart, around and around. But it has to start somewhere. My concerns and sympathies were more theoretical until I "met" the people on this forum, and it opened my heart. One day, early in my frequenting this forum, I saw someone say something like "I will call my brother in Baghdad, and see if he can help you." Until then, it was a far away "situation", but this caused a flash of realization, it's hard to explain, but suddenly I knew that the people there were REAL. It was my love for the oud that pulled me towards this, but now, to use that almost embarrassing word, I love the people of the Middle East like never before, the cultures, religions and of course the music. I can't be one-sided in the conflicts, but now they are my conflicts, and they tear me apart. I have been glued to the information stream from Egypt, and this morning's call to prayer in Liberation Square was calling to me as well. Thank you!

I was in Poland in 1979-80, and the people of the Solidarity revolt were praying just like that, and calling for non-violence. Their dreams and aspirations seemed even more impossible to realize, if you remember the infinite power of the Soviet Empire. Many people called them naive for refusing to seek revenge, and pointed out their inexperience and lack of leadership. It took some setbacks and disappointments, and it didn't magically solve all problems or bring paradise to earth, but Solidarity's peaceful methods accomplished the impossible. The Berlin Wall, the police vans in the street, the wiretaps, the informers, the constant fear of arrest and interrogation, the hundreds of thousands of political prisoners, all that is a distant memory. God willing, the good people of Egypt will also prevail.
BaniYazid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-5-2011 at 06:03 AM

Hi

As a Tunisian (living in France) I follow the Egyptian uprising with the same emotion I followed the Tunisian one.
I asked myself the same question when I posted my feeling about Tunisia, is it the right place ? are the member concerned ? ...
We can play oud without knowledge or interest about what's going on in the places where this instrument is a part of the culture, but I think we are missing something important.
As you say there's member from Egypt, and I consider this forum like a virtual community, with real brotherhood.
May this events deliver a better life for the Egyptians and all of us.

Mohamed
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 2-5-2011 at 06:34 AM

Dear Forum Members,

Whilst I personally share the thoughtful views of the majority of posters on this topic, it has always been forum policy that politics have no place here.

The current popular uprisings in Egypt, Tunisia and elsewhere in the region would seem to be fairly clearcut issues of morality. Or perhaps 'might versus right'. But by accepting that these forums have a part to play in the discussion of these subjects may set a dangerous precedent.

In the past, we have found it necessary, on several occasions, to put a stop to forum discussions that led to expressions of anger and hostility between members whose birthplaces were geographically very close to the countries currently under discussion and where the issue of 'might versus right' is not so abundantly clear.

If we continue this current political discussion, how then can we take offense when others use these forums to air their own political grievances?

I therefore suggest we avoid further discussion on this or any other political matter.

Warm regards to all.

Greg
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-5-2011 at 11:53 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the nice comments. I hope that we will share some good news soon. I dedicate these improvisation to you. I recorded this clip about 3 years ago while visiting with Dr. Mamdouh,

Beautiful playing - thank you

Leon
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-5-2011 at 01:05 PM

:)

EgyptOud.jpg - 11kB
Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 2-5-2011 at 03:12 PM

I love Egypt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p8u0cmWvuw
ultragroove
Oud Maniac

Mood: Athar Kurd

[*] posted on 2-5-2011 at 03:48 PM

playing oud... watching al-jazeera all the time...
i'm from the eastern part of Germany and we know how to change a suppressing system too.

yes greg, you're right, but... we all want this thread. so let it flow.

WE LOVE EGYPT!

egyptian cat.jpg - 165kB
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-5-2011 at 04:57 PM

I find it both fascinating and intriguing to see this kind of solidarity and love with our homeland. Maybe I shouldn't because it is the direct result of this forum bringing the best of us through our common passion.
I hope that our friendship will continue to flourish and grow with time. I also look forward to a broader aspect of human values spreading among mankind. Maybe it is a nice spot in cyberspace to start.
Watch out world !
You will be assimilated (oudimilated)!
Here is a clip from one of the best Egyptian films in the 90's. The story took place in one of the poorest communities in Cairo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMjopnvTlPI&feature=related

God Bless!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top