Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Maqam of the month
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-26-2006 at 06:06 PM

Samir,

Great taqasim. Nice flow, modulations, timing. It was a pleasure to listen to.

Adnan,

Thanks, but that is not my oud. That is Mike's M. Hifnawi. You can't build sound like that, well, you can, you just have to wait about half a century for it to show up! It actually reminds me of my first oud. Maybe you can hear a similarity.

TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 5-26-2006 at 10:37 PM

Hey guys,

You owe me nothing. I thank you for your kind words about the previous videos, though you really don't have to give them. I'm humbled by all of your dedication and just your general personalities. It really is like a family here, and I'm glad I'm a part of it and that I feel so welcomed in it. Thank you all.

TP21

TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 12:11 PM

Uhh, why'd you guys stop?!?! :mad:

sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TruePharaoh21
Uhh, why'd you guys stop?!?! :mad:

Waiting for your taqseem TP21

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 06:01 PM

TP21 --
You're a class act.
When I posted my first file on mikeouds a year or so ago, you sent me a lengthy U2U critiquing the whole thing. I really valued it. And value it.

I never had anybody teach me how to play a taksim, so yours was the first instruction I got. And it was extremely valuable.

We didn't know each other, had never met, but you went out of your way to help me out.

And, you sent it to me as a U2U. It was a very insightful appraisal of the taksim, and demonstrated your knowledge of the art of taksim. It probably would have helped everybody if you had posted it in the main forum, but you just did it privately. Because you did it not to show off your knowledge, but to help me out.

I have heard you play taksims that are so drenched in emotion that they inspire me to keep going. To not just play the notes, but to get that soul from the instrument. Your music bleeds--never sacrificing the feeling in order to show off technique.

Can't wait to hear it again.

All the best.

sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-2-2006 at 08:47 AM

Jonathan,

I am really touched by what you said about our good friend TP21. It goes to show how respectfull person you are. Good on you mate.

TP21,

Well .. It can not get better than that brother. I guess you know by now how valuable you are.

I am sure your knowledge of taqseem will be usefull not only to Jonathan but also to many other members.

So please hit us with a Good rast taqseem. a "fall off your chair" brand ;)

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-2-2006 at 11:45 PM

You guys are too much.

I will try to get a Rast taqsim up as soon as I can. I put new strings on one of my ouds that I have yet to ever post a recording for, so once they settle, I'll do what I can.

Talk about pressure... :D

TP21

sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 12:20 AM

No ... Talking about Pleasure :D

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 05:34 AM

TP... and everyone else? where is your Rast Taqasim.
This thread restarted so nicely lets not let it go down again.
Common Fellas... Its time to rest the keyboard a little and dust off that oud.
;)
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 04:38 PM

hey all
i figure maybe i will start off the worst and i hope it just gets better. this is soemthing i put togeather.
the most truole i have is flow i think bec i can play alot of peice just can never flow them right .
well anyway conments.
thx sammy
p.s i know i am bad so no harm in telling me that

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 06:58 PM

I've been too busy building to play anything (I'm pretty rusty anyway, and not much of a player to begin with), so here's something from one of my favorite oudists. He's a forum member, so that counts....:cool:

Taqasim min maqam Rast

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 08:49 PM

Here is my Taqasim in Rast
I hope there was some improvements since last time. I did add a little reverb to make me look cool hehehe.

http://137.122.145.36/~n2955154/SAmir%20Rast1.mp3

Jameelo that was an awsome taqasim Rast by PR. I wish I had been there for the recording session. Now lets hear you if you have time :rolleyes:

Sammy keep it going... If you want to help you flow you should listen to he old masters and notice how they keep there phrases going. Try and be more relaxed and let your risha go at it. Also you can definetly tell a difference from your first posts.

Keep them comming guys
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 09:46 AM

I would like to contribute a taqsim in rast (it actually starts on bayati...) that I just recorded. I haven't been playing oud for very long but I tried best to use whatever little understanding I have of seyir and modulation.

While I am not intimidated I know that I am not in the league of most people contributing here, which gives me the more inspiration to learn.

Here it is.
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 03:16 PM

hey samir
you sound great i like yr style that u play its nice. keep it up i have been listening to alot fo oud music btu i think it time for a teacher i think i need to find one around me.

masal shalom mashlomcha how r u
your playing is very good keep it up .
where in isreal u from . i lived in ramat beit shmesh
thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 10:05 PM

Ok my turn! Nice job on keeping this thread going Samir. Your taqassim sounded very nice. I'm telling you man, you clean that up just a little and you're going to sound like a pro in no time!

You guys are lucky this time, becuase I've found out about a little secret known as google video! So here is a 6 minute recording of me improvising in and out of maqam rast. Enjoy:

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-1813264532687998750

adnan
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 01:22 PM

Hey oudplayer I'm from zofit, it's a small village near kfar-saba, tira etc. Thanks for the compliment but I really need a new teacher and a band so I can practice more!
jshead
Oud Junkie

Mood: Peace

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 04:29 AM

hey, you guys, thanks to all of you posting you work. It is very interesting and helpful to so many taqsims on Rast. I don't tend to do much really on Rast even though I like the maqam a lot, so now maybe I will work on it.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 04:36 AM

Hey Adnan that was nice suprise I have been listening to your video and it motivated me into making one myself. Here Iam trying to follow your advice of cleaning it up... all goes well untill the end! where I basicaly trip on my own fingers much like they were shoes and I had steped on the laces to trip myself oh well... got caried away improvising I guess.
By the way our ouds sound really diferent for being the same maker and around the same design.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=3201640753030570246
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 11-24-2006 at 03:48 PM

allah allah ya samir! Thats what i'm talking about. Very nice man. I can tell that you listen to a lot of recording because all of your taqassim sound a little different.

Yeah my ouds sound like garbage on that recording. There are many reasons for this. One is that i'm using a cheap computer mic. My room is in the basement and the wall im facing is make of concrete. And finally, I'm not too impressed with these strings (cheap pyramid). I just put on some of the low tension aquila strings. They sound ok so far. They sound a bit too lose for my taste at times though.

adnan
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-24-2006 at 05:46 PM

Those lower tension aquila strings are the ones I have. They are nice but I have to raise them at the brige because otherwise they are too low and they strike the fingerboard. Try doing that with yours by tying the knots higher at the brige tell me if you see a difference.
peace
Samir
Ashley
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 09:17 AM

Hey everyone...

I was thinking that seeing as truepharaoh has already made a taksim posting thread, the makam of the month thread could be a more in depth analysis of an actual makam that would cover areas such as the progression and development of the makam (I forget the proper terminology) by this I mean an analysis of how to move between comprising tetrachords, nuances of intonation (moving quatertones and such) modulations and transpositions....perhaps this could be accompanied by audio examples so that it would be easier to recognise all these things....

I dont know how much I can contribute towards this at the moment but it would certainly be an invaluable learning source for myself and others who dont have access to any formal tuition.

Just a thought..what do you all think?

Best Wishes

Ash:)
dampwater
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-19-2008 at 01:43 PM

This thread is really engaging and its alot of fun listening to what everybody has to offer with their creativeness in each maqam. And since maqam el Rast is one of my most favorite maqams as it captures the essence of Eastern music with how passionate and vigorous this maqam sounds, i decided to record a small taqsim to contribute to this thread. I've heard many great taqsim and thought I should contribute!

Here's my piece of rast, and keep this thread flowing!!!
Watar
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 10:57 PM

Hi all,
Nice to meet you all.
I'm Tony Tawq From becharry.

Watar
comthre3
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-11-2008 at 05:36 PM

When are we getting to Makam Nikriz I want to upload my version of Nikriz Sirto, well not my version as in a refined and approved version of it or anything, i mean the Nikriz Sirto I played :P

regards

\"Dubito, Ergo cogito, Ergo sum\" René Descartes
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 06:38 PM

Whens the next installment of Mikeouds forum favourite tv show 'Everyone loves Tawadros and Gibaley' Edward?

I dying here...:)
Thanks again for the clips,

Still excited James!
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top