Printable Version  
Author: Subject: OLD Egyptian Oud
bibo10
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-14-2011 at 05:18 PM
OLD Egyptian Oud

Hi mates,

A friend of mine brought his grand father's old oud from Egypt. It seems very old and needs some work. as you can see from the picture there is a crack on the face, also i noticed the action is very high!!!

for the big question, unfortunately the answer is; No, I don't know who made the oud. there is no label inside.

I have to mention the oud is very lite and i feel a weird pleasure hugging it and keeping it close to chest. I will definitely try to get it fixed, I am very curious to hear what this oud could sound like.

I will contact either Najib Shaheen or John Vergara, both are members of our forum, to take a lot at the oud to see if it's possible to fix it.

I thought I should share it with you, since we don't see many old Egyptian ouds. I will keep everyone posted.

+++++++++++
Michael-GOD BLESS EGYPT
bibo10
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 07:47 AM

Thank you. sorry it took me long to reply.
the string length is 58 cm.

So i took the oud few days ago to Najib, he said the oud is in a very bad condition and requires alot of work.
Even though there is no label, he believes from his past experience that this oud is from the 30's and could be possibly be made by "abd el 3aziz el Lesy" the infamous oud maker in Egypt back then. he also believes just from the shape of the back that this is an "alexndrian" oud, meaning the oud was made in the city of alexandria hence the name.
i am still not sure what to do with this oud, he said he would charge me $500 even though he wasn't decided whether to put a new face or just fix the old cracks!

+++++++++++
Michael-GOD BLESS EGYPT

Go To Top