udmaker
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-3-2011 at 10:02 AM

:)
saudana
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-22-2011 at 11:58 PM

I have looked at the "Maruce Shehata" ouds here. Im interested in one of them, but would like some info if anyone can help me. The ouds start at about $600. Am I getting ripped off, or is that the range for these ouds.

Also, what else should I look for? or ask when purchasing. I will be buying this weekend, so need as much info as u can give me.

As I mentioned before, I am a beginner and would like to learn to play mainly Sudanese music.

Thanks in advance..
saudana
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 12:36 AM

oops..that Maurice :-) lool
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 01:12 AM

Hi, Saudana, welcome!

Being impulsive I can understand, but you would do well to take your time. First, you should read up on the forum using the search feature. A lot has been written on the subject of first ouds.

Unless the oud has a problem, Shehata's recent ouds usually fetch twice that, so six hundred dollars might be a bargain, if it's truly a Shehata, as Maurice's instruments have a very fine tone. There are many cases of misattribution in the field of professional ouds, not to speak of forgeries, and it requires some experience to distinguish a baazaar clunker from say an early and "rough" instrument by a famous maker.

No matter who made it, you will want an oud that is a pleasure to play, and unless the neck is adjustable, the present "action", or height of the strings above the fingerboard, is critical as it can only be corrected by cutting off the neck and reattaching it at a better angle. In addition, if the fingerboard isn't straight and level, additional work is required. There are of course many other potential problems, and I think you might want to take the time to understand the issues. Buying an oud without examining and playing it is a risky business unless returning it is practical, i.e. the seller allows it and shipping costs are known not to be prohibitive.

saudana
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 01:35 AM

Hi, thanks for the advice!!! Although the last part made no sense to me, looools..I know nothing about the technical parts of a oud. Im sure its a Maurice Shehata, because I went to their branch here...they had a pretty good selection.

Anyway, I think Im in love with this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Oud-Syrian-Arabic-Music-Lutebuilt-Ali-Khalifeh-...

My father, god rest his soul, was also a oud fanatic like me. I remember when I was younger, he used to always play and sing beautiful songs to me. I hope I can play for my kids one day.

Any whooooo, Syrian/Egyptian/Turkish? any preferences? My dad used to have a lovely Syrian oud, I dont know where it is, but I may have to hunt it down :-)
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 01:48 AM

Saudana Salam

check your U2U please

Best Regards

Awad
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 01:58 AM

If you don't like this oud, how long do you have to try it out, and much would it cost to send it back?

zakiya_alali
Oud Junkie

Mood: Jameel Bashir is a Legand

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 02:31 AM

I have iraqi ouds if you are intersted u2u me, I live in doha
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 05:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by saudana  
Hi, thanks for the advice!!! Although the last part made no sense to me, looools..I know nothing about the technical parts of a oud. Im sure its a Maurice Shehata, because I went to their branch here...they had a pretty good selection.

Anyway, I think Im in love with this one:

My father, god rest his soul, was also a oud fanatic like me. I remember when I was younger, he used to always play and sing beautiful songs to me. I hope I can play for my kids one day.

Any whooooo, Syrian/Egyptian/Turkish? any preferences? My dad used to have a lovely Syrian oud, I dont know where it is, but I may have to hunt it down :-)

Please don't buy that oud. It is garbage. It is definitely not a Shehata but a mass-produced "Ali Khalifa" oud.

Shehata ouds are good.
You might also try to find a Sukar oud, they are from Syria and generally a good instrument for the price.

Samir Azar is another Syrian maker with a good reputation, but his instruments are a bit more expensive than Sukar's (although still reasonable).

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
oudtab
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 09:54 AM

Bonjour saudana,

Maurice Shehata has got a store at Dubai :

Maurice Dubai
Elsharka United Arab Emirates
El Aruba st. in front of Rimm Hotel
Téléphone : 00971 65643935

http://www.mauriceouds.com/home.htm

Spare some money, do a little trip and buy a good oud.

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-24-2011 at 09:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lute  
Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  

Please don't buy that oud. It is garbage. It is definitely not a Shehata but a mass-produced "Ali Khalifa" oud.

This is a fake Khalifa's in the link above, it is not Orginal!!

I totally disagree with Brian Prunka. Ali Khalifa Ouds are solid and good Ouds. They are ideal for starting and intermediate level with a nice middle tone, and they are affordable too. After all, not all the people could afford $1500 - 2500 on a new oud! Therefore, we need affordable Ouds, is a must!

The one to watch for, are Mowafaq and Yasin Khalifas, I found their Ouds substandard, and would not recommend them to anyone!

The Oud provided in the link above is a copy and not the original Khalifas Ouds. The workman ship and the materials strongly suggested, that It was made in Egypt, if you look closely to top of the pegs box, you would notice it has a pyramid finish, that is common for Egyptian Ouds, and the pegs themselves are different than the one used on khalifas Ouds. I also noticed the small sounds whole are bigger, the quality of wood is different, and the mosaics are also different than Ali Khalifa's Ouds. Therefore, this is a fake Ali Khalifa's, and it was made in Egypt, without a doubt!

A typical good Ali Khalifa's Oud should looks like this one: http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=11665

Kind regards,

Lute

So, actually you agree with me, that the oud in the link is garbage.
I put "Ali Khalifa" in quotes to indicate that it is in the category of ouds that call themselves "Ali Khalifa".
I understand that an oud actually made by Ali Khalifa is a decent instrument, but he has been dead for some time.

Very few so-called "Ali Khalifa" ouds that show up for sale are "real" Ali Khalifa ouds, so I think as a general principle it is advisable to stay away from them unless one can play it first and verify that it is a decent instrument.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
saudana
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-26-2011 at 05:08 AM

Thank you all for your advice!!! Much appreciated. I will most likely buy a Shehata only becuase its the only store I have visited here and I dont know of any others. Im not a proffessional, that is why I will probably take my time and have someone who knows about Ouds to tag along and help me choose one. I may try to take pics next time I go and post them for you all as well. Thanks again. :)
zakiya_alali
Oud Junkie

Mood: Jameel Bashir is a Legand

[*] posted on 3-26-2011 at 08:25 AM

there is another oud shop in souq waqif in doha, which has a big collection of oud

KR

Go To Top