Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tor-tis vs Celluloid
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 9-1-2004 at 04:04 PM
Tor-tis vs Celluloid

Well my Tor-tis rishi broke in my hand and I was not bending it or playing even. I have had this rishi for a few months now. I still have more material to make more though.

I would like to try celluloid for making rishi which I think might sound great and last long. It is the same material Fender picks are made of and I like that sound and feel. It has been difficult to locate any celluloid sheets of the proper thickness for rishi. Any one knows of a source?

Thanks,
Elie
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 9-1-2004 at 04:37 PM

hey i also would like to know but thickness do u need
thx sam
freya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy in the mountains of WNC

[*] posted on 9-1-2004 at 04:40 PM
Celluloid

Gee, strictly speaking celluloid is cellulose nitrate - highly flammable and not very stable. Does Fender really make picks of this stuff? Try putting a match to one, it ought to burn (really) violently. There are lots of similar materials that are better behaved...

Freya
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-1-2004 at 06:04 PM

Another problem is that the Tor-tis seems to deform easily in my hand. Dunlop makes a great pic called Tortex--I would love to make a risha out of that stuff, if anybody knows where I can get the material.
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-1-2004 at 06:09 PM

They also used to make billard balls out of the cellulose nitrate as replacement to making them out of ivory (save the elephants) from what I read once a while one of the balls would explode.

The material apperantly is stable enough for plectrum and pocket knife covers and some other items, just do not buff it or grind it to polish it. In other words do not expose to extreme heat and definetly do not hold it up to flame unless you want to burn it, which I hear is spectacular.

I have been using these picks for a long time and no problems. These picks are very common and can be found on ebay and music instruments outlets by the dozen. Try playing the oud with one of each of the three gauges; thin, medium and thick and each induces its own rich and complex sound. I think it is the best I have heard so far. I just haven't tried a rishi configuration of the material yet, but the picks sound great on the oud.

Another material that would give you a rich and kind of deep classic oud sound is what the tortex picks are made of by Dunlop (this is different than tor-tis), Tortex picks come in green or yellow and have a sketch of a turtle stamped on them. They are also common to find. I do like the sound they produce with oud a lot also, but the celluloid is a favorite.

The thicknesses of celluloid I would like to try are: 0.46 mm; 0.72 mm; 0.94 mm. LMI sells them but in one thickness. I guess I could buy thick and plane to desired.

Elie
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-1-2004 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Another problem is that the Tor-tis seems to deform easily in my hand. Dunlop makes a great pic called Tortex--I would love to make a risha out of that stuff, if anybody knows where I can get the material.

Jonathan,
Try this place http://www.interstateplastics.com/meta/fmdel.htm Supposedly it is the same material as Tortex but it is called Derlin here. I may do the same.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-2-2004 at 04:23 PM

Thanks. I think I will go ahead and give it a shot. I just love the "snap" in those tortex pics. My gut feeling, though, is that I will probably end up being happiest with my plain old cable ties. I know, it is not authentic, and purists doubtless will frown on them, but I am generally satisfied using these. They come in so many variations of size and flexibility, and they are ridiculously inexpensive--it is hard not to find one that you like.

Go To Top