Printable Version  
Author: Subject: strings and diapason
danieletarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-11-2011 at 04:36 PM
strings and diapason

Hello everybody!
In these days I am focusing my attention on the strings, tryng to understand something about tension, newton etc :)
I have an Alì Nisadir oud, kind of Mounir Banshir model, floating bridge, 58.5 cm and I use arabic tuning cc\gg\dd\aa\gg\C
My question is:
Are there any problems (concerning tension for example) if I use arabic strings sets which are built for 60-62 cm scale ouds?
Or would be better to use turkish strings (built for 58 cm scale) and lower them down a whole tone?
I thank you in advance and I hope to receive your suggestions about the best strings for my oud :)
Daniele
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-12-2011 at 08:09 AM

Hi Daniele,

A shorter scale oud is not in any danger from strings made for a longer scale oud; shortening the string length reduces the tension if all other factors remain the same.

Using a set for a shorter scale on a longer scale oud will increase the tension.

A Turkish set is often a good option if you want lighter tension on a 60+ cm oud, since the shorter string length is more than compensated for by tuning down a whole step. In your case, I think a Turkish set would yield too low a tension.

I'm not familiar with Ali Nisadir, but generally floating bridge ouds are made to withstand slightly higher tensions than fixed bridge ouds.

I confess that floating bridge ouds are not my area of expertise, so maybe some of our members can make specific suggestions about what has worked for them.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 3-12-2011 at 11:34 PM

Hi Daniel,

I have one of my 57cm floating bridge ouds strung with Turkish strings (normally for 58.5 fixed bridge) and it tunes to what it says on the box.

Someone like Matthias might do the calculations and say it should be unplayable or something, but in practice, it sounds and feels fine.

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
chaldo
Oud Junkie

Mood: archaic mood

[*] posted on 3-13-2011 at 11:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sazi  
Hi Daniel,

I have one of my 57cm floating bridge ouds strung with Turkish strings (normally for 58.5 fixed bridge) and it tunes to what it says on the box.

Someone like Matthias might do the calculations and say it should be unplayable or something, but in practice, it sounds and feels fine.

Well, on a 58.5cm oud, a turkish set tuned a whole note lower will definitely be too low tension, unless that/s what you're looking for.

On the other side, Sazi when you say "and it tunes to what it says on the box." do you mean you tune your oud turkish ? if your oud can handle it, why not... mabrouk aleik ;)

Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 3-14-2011 at 10:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chaldo  

On the other side, Sazi when you say "and it tunes to what it says on the box." do you mean you tune your oud turkish ? if your oud can handle it, why not... mabrouk aleik ;)

The Strings are for Turkish EABead tuning on 58.5 cm fixed bridge, I have them tuned the same on a 57 cm floating bridge oud, and everything feels fine.
Cheers, S

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Go To Top