Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Oud #2
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 12-16-2011 at 12:31 PM

Some people wanted to hear the difference between the two ouds. Here is an attempt to give that example without having to travel to my house. Though I feel you can never really get an accurate depiction of any musical instrument on the computer, maybe these two videos will yield some information about the tone.

This is something of an experiment and so the taqaseem is similar between both videos/ouds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA0IAUpmHxo "Oud A"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLQpIksFAMo "Oud B"
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 05:50 AM

Too bad the "noise suppression" is cutting off the sound below a threshold; it makes it impossible to hear how the notes fade out. Both have a good bass but the midrange and trebles are much stronger on the B recording. Even the characteristic oud resonance at LA (A, Huseini) right above 2nd course SOL is much stronger on the B oud. That oud sounds very very nice.

When obsessively tapping on my ouds and recording the spectrum I noticed the soundboard around the extended fingerboard area is a resonator for the high midrange, and contributes to the Huseini resonance. Sukar never glues a long fingerboard onto the soundboard, it's inset into a cutout and rests on the braces, so the soundboard is not muted.

I have an oud I wanted to glue a fingerboard on, as the action is high. I first thought of just gluing it onto the neck and onto the soundboard, and then postponed it for this very reason. I was then thinking of scooping it out over the soundboard so it's not touching it, sort of how a violin fingerboard overhangs the soundboard, but then it's not supported and prone to warping. So if the soundboard isn't already cut out for an extended fingerboard, it's safest to keep it short, as you did with the traditional beard.

Beautiful ouds and playing, by the way.
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 08:48 PM

Thanks fernandraynaud for taking the time to watch, anaylize and comment on the comparison.

I wouldn't come to the conclusion that Oud B is a better sounding oud. If it is, only a little bit. I still very much like Oud A and in some ways enjoy playing it more.
Also, many great sounding ouds can be found with extended fingerboards. To add to this idea, I did recently hear an oud which was great and had a fingboard inlayed into the face (extended removed) and the oud lost about 25% of its resonance and projection! But again, many Sukkar ouds have inlayed fingboard into the face, and some can be very lovely sounding.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 12-18-2011 at 06:47 PM

I still like B better. And do you mean that an oud that WAS great had a fingerboard extension added, inset into a cut out soundboard section, and lost 25% of its volume? Maybe it was designed for the way it was?

I have one oud with a fingerboard glued atop the soundboard, and it sounds like your A oud, it's got its good character, but doesn't ring as strongly, especially that Husseini resonance is reduced, whereas my the inset-fingerboard ouds are louder and with better resonance. I think I can tell just by tapping that the glued on fingerboard stiffens and mutes that section of the soundboard.
sabbassi
Oud Junkie

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 12-19-2011 at 03:24 AM

I can't say which one is better, they both sound very nice, congratulations
B is brighter and clearer in my opinion but does not make it better.
very good job nice ouds Bulerias

Best regards, Samir
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 12-19-2011 at 10:45 AM

Keep up the good work,I like more the sound of the second one,but both sound very nice

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 02:00 PM

Hi,

Congratulations. I really enjoy your building and your playing.

Thanks for sharing.

mavrothi

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top