Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Does anybody out there make a decent instrument?!
3cziggy
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-29-2011 at 09:14 AM
Does anybody out there make a decent instrument?!

Got a cheap oud a few years back, got hooked, got a band, and the poor thing exploded a few weeks ago. Bridge just flew off the body. Lousy glue. And, yes, I was using the correct string tensions. Got a Sukar yesterday, neck joint was badly glued (ironic, no?), wood is cracked, it's junk. Does anybody have any experience with a good maker, preferably in the US where there's at least some chance of actually touching the instrument before I purchase?
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-29-2011 at 10:06 AM

Strange, the neck joint is usually the strong point in Sukar ouds and he usually barely use any glue at all. Was there a metal bolt and 2 metal rods holding the neck in place? Ibrahim Sukar uses this rather sturdy mechanism that is hard to take apart even if thats what you are trying to do.

otherwise, it could be a (insert surname) Sukar oud and not a Ibrahim Sukar oud which is possible since there are other makers in the Sukar family. It could also be a fake Sukar oud.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Alan-TX
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-29-2011 at 11:09 AM

Where did you buy the oud? Sukar ouds are easy to identify so post some pics especially of the label.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 3-29-2011 at 11:37 AM

If your cheap oud lasted years, then lost the bridge, you could glue it back on. Surprising the Sukar neck came off, steel bolt and all. Maybe the "crack" you mention is across the neck at the body junction? That would be where the adjustable neck lets you set the angle. But maybe we're splitting hairs. It sounds like you need to step up to a serious instrument, that you can buy with confidence and not even have to try out, for instance the Macassar ebony double should do, tuned Arabic on a 58.5 cm scale, the bridge should stay on:

http://www.oudmaster.com/product.aspx?lang=2&id=4

bibo10
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-30-2011 at 08:23 PM

Check ur u2u

+++++++++++
Michael-GOD BLESS EGYPT
Franck
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-31-2011 at 08:08 AM

Excellent oud maker in Montréal, Québec, Canada: Ismail Fencioğlu

ismailfenci@gmail.com

http://www.canadianoudshop.com/canadianoudshop/Welcome.html
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-1-2011 at 02:29 PM

Hello,

Sebastian Stenzel made my new seven course oud. He is an excellent world famous guitar maker. He investigated oud since 20 years and has built a fantastic instrument on the spot. His next one will be even greater.

You can check my oud on the post "Another Oud Blues #0" (http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=11751) or on my youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/rojarosoud).

Sebastian Stenzels homepage is http://www.stenzel-guitars.de/

Best wishes
Robert
3cziggy
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 09:35 AM

Rods? Bolts? Metal? nah. None of that. It did, however, have a clipped-off nail jutting just slightly out of the back of the neck, down near the body. Oh, and blobs of glue inside the body. Poor design, poor workmanship, it was junk. I shipped the thing back. Vendor was willing to let me keep it for next to nothing, but I sent the bloody thing back anyway. Afraid I'd never get the splinters out of my hands when it exploded!

At the moment, I've arranged to get a really cheap instrument (one that I can glue back together at least as neatly as that Sukar thing....) and will simply wait until I can get to a decent-sized city. I live in a small town in Montana.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 09:58 AM

Yah that nail holds the bolt. If the bolt wasnt there that's why it imploded on you.

Sorry to hear what happened

Otherwise, there are beter custom oud makers out there of course. Do a search through the forums you will find nice ouds. I recomend saad al tayyar from Montreal. You can't be disappointed with his instrumenta

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
3cziggy
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 12:14 PM

Thanks for the input, folks. Those are some killer instruments, but most are about 3X what I can afford. I may, as suggested, have to glue the junker back together and be patient. I hate that geing patient stuff. We may be driving across Canada later this year, and I considered stopping in Montreal...but, good lord! The traffic there is astonishing! I'm not sure we'd ever get out!! Anybody know of any luthiers in Ottawa?! Maybe catch a Senators game...

Go To Top