Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: String squeak
madzub
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 10:03 AM
String squeak

Hi everyone - I'm sure this question's been tackled many times, so if there's a thread or two you know about, let me know.

I'm using Aqila strings on my Sandi Turkish oud, and am presently recording. The squeaking on the 3rd and 4th courses is driving myself and my sound engineer to distraction. This is string squeak caused by finger sliding, not buzzing.

I tried a wipe on product for guitars which did nothing except leave a slippery mess. I've tried a water-based lubricant gel which worked better but does leave a residue on the neck, and evaporates pretty fast.

Any ideas??

many thanks - Madzub (aka Amir Peter O'Loughlin)
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 10:49 AM

The strings are supposed to squeak! It's part of the sound . . . or at least many people think so.

Sorry I don't know what else might help, except that old strings squeak less than new ones.

If it's a big issue, Savarez makes polished strings that squeak somewhat less than usual (I use them on my classical guitar) . . . . I think you can get them for oud using their lute/early instrument strings.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Franck
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-6-2011 at 07:54 AM

The squeak is part of the sound, but if you really don't like it, try moving the mike in a different position away from your right hand (or left if you're a lefty).

I kinda like the squeaky sound, fells more natural... anyway, to each is own taste.

Good luck

Go To Top