Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Old Oud acoustics (meaningful thread)
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 6-8-2011 at 07:47 AM

I dont have images of the linings to post since I have some concerts coming up (Thursday my weekly restaurant gig in NYC, Friday a concert in DC and its one of my better sounding ouds)

However, I was able to get a mirror into a hole in the center of the rosette, and this is where I saw the linings. A rough judgement is they seem to be about 2mm thick, 9mm wide. The braces are butted against them tightly, and the linings are not joined to the blocks, and terminate roughly 15mm from the blocks. The entire face is not original, as Najib rebuilt it. I heard Najib tell me it is importart to fit the braces tightly against the bowl. With an emphasis on the word "tight". And there is no cut out into the linings. The oud is about 40 years old. I dont think the linings were added for structual reasons, but rather to dissapate the echo effect, giving a more percussive and punchy sound.

In the last photo you'll notice something unusual also. I tied a string to my maglite flashlight with LED upgrade. I removed the collar around the light, so now it stays on and becomes narrow enough to fit in the hole of the shamsa, and I lowered into the oud. I then covered the shamsa to retain the light, and took a photo. And not only does the bracing location become revealed, but other things. Such as something between the braces! When I put the mirror in, I saw not only the linings that I was talking about, but also pieces of robust brown paper bags pasted between the bracings! I tried to come up with a reason for this. Certainly these strips of paper bag were not installed to make up for a thin flimsy face, because indeed the face is fairly thick. (don't have a measurement yet). I know this because even with the flashlight in the oud and the rosette covered, its still very dim inside, compared to other ouds I've done this with, the moment I place the flash light, the face because so illuminated, and the bracing is so very obvious. This oud is not that way. The areas without the bag are still dim and you have to focus hard to see.

This oud is no thumper. With many people giving me offers for it. I'm sure a couple people in on the forum can attest to that. It has tons of power. (Large bowl, big toward the bottom) Powerful, lively present basses, and crisp/percussive trebles, that dont echo at all.
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-8-2011 at 07:58 AM

This photo I found on this forum and saved it to my computer. I don't know from which thread its from, or what the purpose behind the paper pasted to the belly is for, but I do find it interesting and possbily related to my oud. I couldn't search it by its file name "PaperFace.jpg" and I know of no other way other than going through the pages of the forum one by one, viewing each thread individually (as I once did!). But it would be good to verify this. Possbily someone out there will recognize this photo and shed some light on it. Maybe even from your old egyptian oud, jdowning?

jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-8-2011 at 10:19 AM

Thanks for the additional information. Yes it is very important, structurally, for the ends of the braces to fit perfectly against the sides of the ribs. So the oud is quite modern (c1970) and the linings may be original and not added by Najib?

I cannot identify the sound board except to confirm that it is not my Egyptian oud (image of my oud sound board is attached for comparison). Interesting to see the small braces on either side of the bridge - similar to those on the Al Arja bros (Lebanon) oud owned by ALAMI as reported earlier on this forum.
The paper is for additional reinforcement either to repair longitudinal cracks in the sound board or to provide additional support for inlays cut the full depth of the sound board. This oud likely has both applications - the paper around the sound holes being to support inlay work (as well as the paper between the two top braces to support an inlaid fingerboard extension?) and the long narrow strips for crack repair.

Note on my oud sound board the remains of paper reinforcement under the inlaid fingerboard extension. Of course reinforcement of oud (and lute) bowl rib joints with glued paper strips (using hot hide glue) is traditional practice that is centuries old.

Oud Belly underside small.jpg - 211kB
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-8-2011 at 08:01 PM

No, the entire top is done by Najib, with the addition of the liners, and the paper. Which again, I doubt was done for structural purposes. So what other purposes are there?

I would like more information on Al Arja brothers.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-9-2011 at 04:40 AM

What does Najib have to say about his work?

A detailed discussion about ALAMI's Al-Arja oud can be found in the topic "Oud or Lute" posted by Dr Oud in June 2007 on this forum. Not much is known about the al-Arja brothers of Tripoli except that they were also furniture makers and were of the Christian faith.
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 7-12-2011 at 05:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bulerias1981  
This photo I found on this forum and saved it to my computer. I don't know from which thread its from, or what the purpose behind the paper pasted to the belly is for, but I do find it interesting and possbily related to my oud. I couldn't search it by its file name "PaperFace.jpg" and I know of no other way other than going through the pages of the forum one by one, viewing each thread individually (as I once did!). But it would be good to verify this. Possbily someone out there will recognize this photo and shed some light on it. Maybe even from your old egyptian oud, jdowning?

[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f254/Bulerias81
/PaperFace.jpg[/IMG]

This is a restored 1927 Gamil George soundboard. The paper is parchment, infused with hide glue to reinforce seams and cracks in the face. The soundboard and braces are original, but there was separation around the inlay and several cracks and open seams. Here's the front view before mounting...
Face_Cleaned6.jpg - 164kB
and the video (pardon the low fidelity - use low volume to minimize the distorsion)
http://youtu.be/Fkp9PkVUY4s

bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-8-2011 at 10:18 PM

Nice work. I'd like to get my hands on a Gamil Georges oud myself.
RubabPlayer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-21-2012 at 07:12 PM

Sorry to restart an ancient thread, but I recently have run across a couple things that fit in here and may be of interest.

In Iran there are now innovative instruments that add a hybrid of wood and skin top construction. The Tanboor Shurangiz and Setar Shurangiz do this for smaller long neck strings. But there are also Barbat with skin covering about 50% of the top of the instrument. The rest done in wood. The bridge is placed on top of a small wood plate that then sits on top of the skin. This gives these instruments the intensity and power of the skin top sound with a little more stability from the wood plate under the bridge.

Hossein Alizadeh is using this with the Shurangiz to amazing results. I have not been able to find a single video of the Ou instrument but I will try.
RubabPlayer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-21-2012 at 07:15 PM

Also Dimitris in Greece has made some Lavta with skin top in this manner along with sympathetic drone strings. I am so curious if resonant drones have ever been used on the Oud.

The Persian Robab, which I think shares a lot of sonic realm with the Oud, has made great use of 7-11 sympathetic strings to give it wonderful resonance. Not to the degree of an Afghan Rubab, but still very nice sounding.

Here is the Lavta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH0u_Mh76kk
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

Mood: hopeful

[*] posted on 6-23-2012 at 12:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bulerias1981  
What they know or what they believe will incease the likelyhood of a purely nice traditional earthy Arabic tone.

My questions to the makers:
1) Is there a kind of sound you try to achieve when starting to make an oud?

2) What sound is it that you're trying to achieve?

3) Do you actually achieve it?

That oud's sound is a real source of inspiration.
Thank you bulerias 1981 for sending the link.
Let me try to reply your questions:

1) It is an inevitable first stage for making an oud. Of course this first step is not consisting of merely a desire for a kind of sound to achieve, but also a long list of integral information...Like the effect of the size, form, wood, tuning range, finish and especially the bracing pattern and braces.

2) You have very well defined:" When I say traditional, I dont mean in that crappy kind of way. Where the sound is weak and dies immediately after the rishi attack"...I also do not aim to achieve that type of sound. When I am making a Turkish oud I always try to keep in my imagination the sound of the ouds I liked best.
When I am making an Arabic oud, again I try to understand what type of oud sound is liked in Arabic tradition.
So, Bassam Saba's glorious Gamil Georges oud's sound infuses me to try to achieve.

3) I actually achieved the sort of sound I've heard or been able to imagine.

Kind regards...

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top