Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: developing vibrato- struglling please help!
joklany
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 11:16 AM
developing vibrato- struglling please help!

Hello All
I hope this message finds you well. I justed started trying to learn vibrato. I couldn't find on the forum any tips on how to develop the vibrato. I found the following text on net on learning vibrato on guitar.

"Vibrato on a musical instrument should not be created, instead it should be released freely and naturally from the body of the player. To achieve this naturalistic approach to vibrato, I recommend that one begins practice first away from the guitar. Pretending that your right arm is a guitar neck, hold it in front of you at approximately the same angle that your guitar neck would rest in front of you. Then, take the middle finger of your left hand and place it at approximately in the middle of your forearm. Then allow your hand to feel heavy (I know that this may be a hard concept to grasp, you will know it when you feel it), as if it is weighed down by the weight of your left arm. Next, release your arm and allow your forearm to rock slowly back and forth. Your middle finger should not be doing any work here; all the energy should come from the heaviness of the forearm. Practice this several times until you do this without any tension at all in your left hand or forearm. Then you are ready to move on to the guitar.

If your vibrato is motivated from the elbow instead of from the wrist or even hand as some players do, you will not notice any difference in the tone you are getting, regardless of which finger you are using to fret the notes. Focus on the elbow movement and allow the elbow and forearm heaviness to motivate the vibrato."

The questions I have,
Does the above apply to oud? It seems to me from the videos I watched the movement is mainly a wrist movement not an elbow one.

Could you recommend a better way to develop vibrato on oud?

Do you know of any videos that can help?

Many Thanks in advance.

Jaafar

DoggerelPundit
Oud Junkie

Mood: Odar

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 08:30 PM

Ya Jaffar!

"Vibrato on a musical instrument should not be created, instead it should be released freely and naturally from the body of the player..."

Couldn't that be said about all technique in playing?

I believe you are seeing correctly that oud vibrato is more from the wrist. At least that's the way these guys are playing it.

Joseph Tawadros
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdr-ShQ8KIc

Farid al Atrash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtZ5AxzBDh8&feature=related

Necati Celik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-5DlMsA0cw

Frankly, the guitar description looks like too much work. The best vibrato might come to you sort of naturally after spending considerable time becoming very accurate in your fingering, with exact intonation each time. Vibrato refinements might include developing a roll of the finger, rather than a back-and-forth finger slide. You may find there is less string noise that way on courses 3-6. Or combinations of the two, for effect.

Every day, Joue! Joue!

Go To Top