Printable Version  
Author: Subject: repairing split peg
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 02:03 AM
repairing split peg

Hello folks

One of my pegs has split down one side (not completely in half) and is hanging on just before it gets to the peg box. What is the best type of glue to use on ebony. Luckily it is only a small issue but I'd appreciate some advice.

I'll fix it then order a new set from Tasos Theodorakis who made the oud - are there any issues about this ... are pegs made to fit the oud or vica versa?

Cheers

Leon
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 02:58 AM

Hi Leon,

Hope you're OK mate, incidentally I was trying to re drill an Ebony peg the other day an the damn thing split in two halfs along the shaft :mad: luckily didn't break off completely :bounce:
as a workaround until I get a new one, I wrapped the string around it and seems to work OK for now :applause:
Man be carefull with my beloved blondy please :D

Best Regards

Awad
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 11:09 AM

Hi Awad

Nice to hear from you - I'm doing well down here in the sunny south, I am very precious about Blondie and 'she' is sounding stronger and sweeter after 2 years or so than ever.

One of the other Blondies in my life knocked my oud over and the top most peg split but no other damage - I was surprised how quickly my heart jumped into my mouth when Anna said there was a 'problem'.

I keep my ouds out all the time whenever possible ... so I habitually play quite a lot and am enjoying playing a lot right now.

My tone is really waking up and my risha wrist is much looser but also more springy now. Its taken a while as I've always had strong arms from working and making, but Nizar's workshops have been really helpful.

I'd like to know the best glue to use for ebony.

Cheers

Leon
Kelly
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 02:26 PM

Hi Leon

Sorry to hear your accident.
I'd use the strongest glue you can and let it set- outside the peg box of course! for a couple of days- As you know pegs take quite a bit of tension/torsion. You might need to reshape a bit for a good fit.
You might also try to purchase set of viola or large violin pegs as a quick replacement till you get a new set from Tassos. You'll have to shave them all to fit anyway. I have a peg shaver I can bring down when we meet in a couple of weeks.
Are there any violin makers/repairers near you they might also be able to help re peg fitting.

See you soon

Kelly
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 01:10 PM

Hi Kelly

Thanks for your message today - I was on a very delayed train journey back from Cardiff, hence the surreal text mesage.

Tasos said he'd send me some pegs which is spot on, I'll do a temporary repair with some extramite till it arrives ... it stayed in tune btw.

See you soon ... here's to Uri :-)

Leon

Go To Top