Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need Feedback on Aquila Strings
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 9-4-2004 at 03:27 PM
Need Feedback on Aquila Strings

Fellow oudists,

I am interested in Aquila arabic set, but the tensions seem somewhat high (each course is around 40 Newtons, compared to say Pyramid Orange which range from 28 - 39 Newtons, assuming arabic tuning).

I am really concerned about the increased tension, I really don't want the action to get higher.

Has anyone noticed an increase in action when they put an Aquila set?

Thanks for your advice fellas,

Sam
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

Mood: mnee7

[*] posted on 9-4-2004 at 08:31 PM
they're fine

dude man, they're fine, the action is fine, the tension is fine. I just got a set a couple of weeks ago and the transition from wound strings to non-wound is really nice (not too noticeable). It just takes a little while for the strings to stretch. They do have a nicer tone to them, warmer and deeper. Anyways thats about it.
joseph
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 07:33 AM

I agree. They are nice. The main problem I had was at installation because the strings stretch so much and if you don't cut them, you can end up with too much wound around the peg. It is a good idea to stretch them a little as well, because they do stretch a lot, and take a little while to settle, but once they settle they are very nice. I had one set on my oud for a while, and I want to experiment with a different string set but I keep putting that off. I think they are definitely worth a try.
Brynley
Oud Addict

Mood: very positive

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 12:41 PM
Aquila strings

Regarding Aquila strings, I just got my arabic set in the mail , they ,re for, high to low , cgdAFC tuning, and I tune cdgAGD. Does anyone think this will make a noticeable difference to the tone on the bass strings, and will the slightly more tension of those strings risk to damage my oud? I havnt put them on yet. I notice merm525 mentions his set of strings are,nt wound , is this some other set ?,because the strings I recieved are wound except the two highest courses.
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brynley
Does anyone think this will make a noticeable difference to the tone on the bass strings, and will the slightly more tension of those strings risk to damage my oud?

I think they will do fine. Go ahead and put them on.

Elie
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 05:07 PM

Hi Sam,

I have never used Pyramid strings yet. But I have used some lower tension knock off brand before using Aquila's. You ask a good question, I didn't think to make a before and after quantitative measurement of action. However, I noticed that I had to press down harder on the strings for the first few weeks and then it gotten easier. The sound the Aquila strings produced was great and it got even better with time. A month later the action got much easier. I would say that the average tension per string in a new set is 41.7 newtons for 630 mm scale length. As the strings stretch out, this tension is reduced. Unless your oud is on the edge of collapsing, I do not think that there would be a great increase in the action.

Maybe you could measure the action before you change the strings by resting a ruler verticaly on the finger board at the neck-body connection once near the bass and again near the treble string and record the distances to the center of each string. Then repeat the same measurements for after you change the strings with the Aquilas and aftre the Aquilas have stabilized. If you do that I would be interested in the measurements.

Good luck,
Elie
samzayed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 06:30 PM

Elie,

Thanks for the wealth of information. Your measurement of 41 newtons for a 63 cm scale makes me think it will work fine, and I am just being neurotic. :(

For my 60 cm length, it should produce 38N, which is consistent with what the Pyramids I have on now. About a year ago, I actually configured a set of lute strings at 37N for each course, and it worked really well.

What I am really looking forward to is that these Aquila are optimized exactly for the Arabic tuning. It seems like most sets (except for Pyramid) are really made for the Turkish tuning.
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 07:58 PM

Hi Sam,

I am going to try a custom set of Pyramid lute strings which I have ordered from "Boston Catlines", not cheap, they cashed my check a month ago but no strings yet!

I most likely will stick with Aquila strings next time, reasonably priced, fast service and the greatest sound so far.

Elie
samzayed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 09:16 PM

For Pyramid lute strings, I got them from Pyramid directly. http://www.pyramid-saiten.de Max Junger is the one to talk to. They cost me around $50 for a set. Currently, Pyramid is closed for the summer, but they'll be back soon. That may be why you haven't gotten your strings yet.

Honestly though, the lute strings were nice, but all you get from them are high quality strings that can be configured to exact tensions. That's it. There is nothing special about them for the oud, other than you can configure them in exactly what tension you want. I am not sure if I'll splurge on lute strings again. Hopefully the Aquilas will be string of choice from now on.

By the way, I'm curious what kind of tension you ordered? I can send you my numbers if you're interested.
aquila
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-12-2004 at 10:40 AM

Dear friends, thank you a lot about your opinions on the aquila strings. I am sorry if sometime I am not in condition to answer you but I have a lot of work here.
I ask you what opinion do you have if the 3rd will be in nylgut like the first two or if the better solution is to employ a standard wound string.
Second: when you put the Aquila set please stretch a lot by hands the first two nylgut strings, so they reach very fast a stable tuning.
Ciao
Mimmo, Vicenza, Italy
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-12-2004 at 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aquila

I ask you what opinion do you have if the 3rd will be in nylgut like the first two or if the better solution is to employ a standard wound string.

Ciao
Mimmo, Vicenza, Italy

Hello Mimmo,

To me it would be worth trying a 3rd Nylgut. My 3rd wound one seemed a little fragile and short lived on the wound part. I wouldn't know untill I try!

Also the sixth string (bass) seemed a little weak in the core floss material (but had a lot of metal) that it broke at the peg.

But these problems maybe due to improperly grooved WOODEN nut.

Take care friend,
Elie
aquila
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-12-2004 at 11:53 AM

Gi Elie, thank you very much.
I will send you some 3rd nylgut for testing.
About the 6th: it is quite easy that the nut groves work like knifes. At today I have not ear about this problem.
The 3rd wound string is indispensable because nylon is too dull, but with nylgut things are different.
Your friend
Mimmo
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-12-2004 at 03:42 PM

Hi Mimmo,

I am almost certain that the problem was with the nut. I have replaced the old wooden nut with one I made from Corian and haven't had any problems since.

Thank you my friend for sending me a 3rd nylgut to try, I will be eagrly waiting.

Regards,
Elie
samzayed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-12-2004 at 04:40 PM

Mimmo,

Sometimes the 3rd plain on an oud doesn't work because the gauge is too thick for some ouds. That's why I don't use them, but some say it produces a warmer tone to the 3rd string.
freya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy in the mountains of WNC

[*] posted on 9-12-2004 at 05:29 PM
Nylgut Clkassical G

Hi Folks,

I have Nylguts on my Arabic Oud, my Turkish Oud, and my classical guitar (needless to say I'm hooked). I looks like the classical G string (plain - not wound) would be a good candidate for the third string on the Oud. It's a bit thick but at the tension it has on the classical, it sounds quite nice.

It would be really nice if us folks in the States could order mix-and-match sets to get just the tension we like. I, for one, would like to tune my Turkish Oud to Arabic (cfADGC) ( I always get the caps/lowercase wrong) but not have too much "flop". I think I could do this if I ordered two sets of classical strings but that's a bit pricey.

Freya
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-12-2004 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by samzayed
Currently, Pyramid is closed for the summer, but they'll be back soon. That may be why you haven't gotten your strings yet.

By the way, I'm curious what kind of tension you ordered? I can send you my numbers if you're interested.

Maybe so on the Pyramid being on Summer break, but my strings supposed to be shipped from "Boston Catlines" by priority mail the Saturday of Labor day weekend.

Regarding the tensions, if I ever receive a set from "Catlines", it would have the following tensions (in kg): c' @3.6 (carbon fiber); g @3.5 (carbon fiber); d@3.5; A@3.5; F@3.45; C@3.5

The D'Addario set (personal congiuration)I have in the oud now is slightly lower tension, 3.2kg to 3.5kg with most strings around 3.4kg. Based on this, I think I would have prefered the Pyramid configured at a slightly higher tension, probably closer to the Aquila Arabic set???

You probably have heard this before, that musical instruments sound thier best when they are just at the edge of collapsing. I do not want to advocate high tension since it gets harder to play and if it is too high, I think the sustain gets shorter. So there is that ideal narrow range where everything becomes groovy!

Regards,
Elie
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 9-12-2004 at 09:13 PM

Hi Mimmo,

I prefer the traditional wound third pair for oud, I hope you will continue making sets like this.

Thanks for the great strings!

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 9-13-2004 at 05:20 AM

I agree with you Mav,
Mimmo keep the good work

best regards to all
Spyros:wavey:

aquila
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-13-2004 at 10:59 AM

Hello friends!
The 3rd nylgust string is just to try... so, I have sent to Elie some different gauges.

Hi Spyros, happy to ear by you! Do not worry, I think that the standard set must be with a 3rd wound. Anyway, I am curious what solution for the 3rd when in the pastimes strings were in gut only...
Bye!
Mimmo

Go To Top