Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Does Sukar make a 3/4 oud
Marjan12
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 08:08 AM
Does Sukar make a 3/4 oud

HI all -

I've been busy researching any and all decent (and cheaper) ouds I could find. In addition to a low price, I also need it to be 3/4 size b/c both ouds I've held so far have been way too big for me. I've narrowed my search to either an oud by Fathi (or Sayed) Ameen or an oud by Sukar. Does anyone know if Sukar makes a 3/4 oud? I've written him but have received no response. Should I call him?

Can anyone comment on trustworthiness of the Fathi/Sayed Ameen ouds?

Thank you for all your help (and very glad the forum is back on-line!)
-:bounce:
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 4-27-2011 at 10:04 AM

There are smallish ouds that are not, as you say, "3/4". The shape and depth are as important as the length, and also you get used to stuff. I don't know if you need specifically a 3/4. Sukar apparently doesn't know English, and as far as I know doesn't ever answer any e-mails except in Arabic, maybe Turkish, and maybe not at all. If you speak Arabic you can try to call. I don't know if he makes specifically a 3/4 size, I don't think any oud makers even think in those terms, but he DOES make smaller ones, LuttGutt here has several, as he suffered an arm injury. Sukar's web site catalog is to his production as the Vehicle Code is to driving in Rome. Try to e-mail LuttGutt.

I have heard very good things about Fathi Ameen's ouds, though I opted for Sukar the last time I was shopping, in large measure because of the adjustable neck. I also like the Sukar timbre, which is flexible with a touch of the Turkish sound, especially as you lower the action. In all fairness I should add that Sukar's action adjustment range is not as wide as Fadi Matta's, and that in time it's possible for a Sukar to settle outside its optimal adjustment range, which then calls for some shaving of the internal faces to bring the adjustability back into range (see various posts about the Sukar neck). But even that's a far cry, IMHO, from a traditional neck job, which starts with sawing the neck off. Matta offers a more sophisticated adjustment system, but is more expensive. Given the unpredictable situation in Syria, and the possibility of wider trade sanctions, it might not be a bad idea to pick up a Sukar; they have good value and hold it. I was showing my Sukars to a Turkish connoisseur last year, who, without knowing prices, was matter of fact comparing them to his $2500 instruments from Turkey. He was especially taken with the mid/high timbre of a Model 1 I had put a little work into, strung with fishline PVF trebles - I didn't have the heart to tell him its price.

I have seen some lovely small ouds by Ghadban, there was one for sale here recently. But they tend to be over $1000. I assume you know that Turkish style ouds are made smaller/shallower than Arabic ones. You could try to ask around if any of the inexpensive Turkish mail order sellers are reliable. I had asked once and got some very straight answers. Turkish instruments tend to be better finished than Arabic ones, and there should be some decent ouds one can order direct from Turkey without getting into the high-priced "professional" ones.

Matthias
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-27-2011 at 10:41 AM

Hello Marjan,

from a sukar instrument model list I know that he makes 3/4 oud's. But don't ask me about the size. This is non mentioned there. I will try to find it out.

About a 3/4 size of an oud, what should this be a size for you, what scale should this have. You think of as it is called a woman's oud or you thinking of a soprano or children oud? Would be of interest for me, as I like to make such ones.

Would be interested what other members think about the size of a 3/4 oud.

Best regards

Matthias

Matthias Wagner
lutes - ouds - guitars & music-strings onlineshop
http://www.lutes-strings.de ( instruments )
http://www.music-strings.de ( strings )
http://www.facebook.com/Matth.Wagner
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ 9th Oriental music-summeracademy 1.8. - 4. 8. 2019
+ http://www.oriental-music-summeracademy.de
+ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4WC3bzeF38yuVfMGB8T1Vg/videos
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 12:26 AM

Hallo Fernandreynaud :-)
and happy easter everybody.

It is been long time since...

Yes, Sukar makes 3/4. I have actually one of his (58,5 cm). And it is the only Sukar oud still have that is NOT costum made.

I am very happy with it. But I have to say that I use it as a "guarden" or "park" oud, not in conserts. But it is a very good "low end oud".

Sukar does not answer e-mail. Not even sms! But you could phone him if you speak arabic. He is very nice and honest and sincere.

Good luck

The wood might be dead, but the oud is alive.

Go To Top