Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: DEFINTELY OUD RELATED: Harley Davidson Vs. Rice Cruisers:
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 5-11-2011 at 02:20 PM
DEFINTELY OUD RELATED: Harley Davidson Vs. Rice Cruisers:

As some of my friends here know that I am a weekend warrior if I am not playing the oud, I would like to share a story:
A couple of years ago, I was entering one of the buildings at work, across from the wire fence, there was a dude starting a real nice looking HD motorcycle..Well, as usual, I started approaching him using the “bikers lingo”. Quiclkly, he asked me about my ride. My answer was: “I will tell you if you promise to continue with the conversation. I ride a rice cruiser (Japanese Motorcycle). He said” I will continue as long as you promise to stay at your side of the fence!”

What is so special about HD’s?

It is a cultural icon with a beautiful paint job and chrome ornaments….

In terms of performance, it gets a BIG “C”. You need a lot of money to keep it running. Your trips are still somehow restricted due to its reliability and comfort!!!!
My Japanese cruiser takes me anywhere. It is very reliable, well built, with beautiful styling.
On top of that, I would have paid double the money to get a HD with the same features.
I would still go for a WWI era BSA motorcycle, for nothing else but being a piece of history. Would I ride it often? The answer is “No”.

I have nothing against Harleys. They simply don’t suit my life style.

Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 5-12-2011 at 09:47 PM

Hmmm, still waiting to see how people think this relates to oud...

Maybe in the future you might choose a Chinese made oud with machine tuners and composite humidity-proof construction over an Abdo Nahfadelanolian because it doesn't need tweaking all the time?

I always had old British 'bikes and love tinkering. I rode a rice burner for 12 months... did I have to adjust anything? - no, was it smooth and fast? - yes, reliable? - yes, did it have any character?- NO!
Even after lot's of frame mod's it still handled like S%#t.
We managed to alter the sound of it, from like a cross between a hair dryer and an electric drill, to something resembling a Mack Truck, but not even close to the satisfying sound of a worked Triumph with TT pipes.

And I was bored with it in no time.

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-13-2011 at 05:50 AM

Obviously not oud related but definitely funnier than " oud-related" lately.

I used to ride a Shadow, only because I couldn't afford a HD.
Sazi is right it is like wanting to play an old oud, be in touch with more than just an object or a machine, something with a character, caprices... And beauty.

I gave up bikes a decade ago, kept a damaged knee and a 33 year old 911 Targa. Expensive to maintain, totally uncomfortable, not really safe to drive, not waterproof, no A/C no ABS no electronics, noisy as hell but I love it.

Happy riding

Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-13-2011 at 07:09 AM

G’day, Steve.

You are funny. I don’t agree with you regarding a Japanese bike character. As an engineer, the choice of my ride is based on performance and technical spec’s.
Definitely, I wouldn’t go that far, picking up a Chinese made production line oud. However, I do enjoy the custom-built ones by Samir Azar, Maurice, and other modern-day brilliant artists. In fact, the oldest instrument I own is 11 years old.
Does it mean that I would not buy a Nahat or a Manol? Not at all. However, as a hobbyist, I believe that well-made instruments are adequate for my needs.

Ahlan Alami,

Several years ago, I owned an 1100 cc Shadow Spirit. It was a great ride. Although comfy, fast, and very reliable, I reached that point where I felt like “growing out of it”, so was the decision to get a bigger bike.
Because it is a hobby, not a life style, I would not go beyond the one I own today.
Maybe you couldn’t afford a HD, but the Japanese manufacturers built their impressive machines with you, Sazi, and me in mind.
Maybe, I would venture going outside my budget at one point, but how often does it happen?
Happy strumming & safe riding.

Hatem

P.S. I am excited to learn that two members of the forums are biker dudes :-)
Sazi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-13-2011 at 06:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hatem_Afandi  

Maybe you couldn’t afford a HD, but the Japanese manufacturers built their impressive machines with you, Sazi, and me in mind.

And failed miserably! ( IMNSHO, - but I'm happy to stay on my side of the fence):cool: ;)

Quote: Originally posted by ALAMI  

... it is like wanting to play an old oud, be in touch with more than just an object or a machine, something with a character, caprices... And beauty.

Exactly! 'nuff said!

Funny this came up now, I too haven't ridden for a few years but lately I've been feeling like building another 'bike.

I have my first oud to finish first...

Hatem, I guess any ride is better than a cage, enjoy the road Bro'.
(I'd still give you a nod in passing.):cool:

P.S. Remember those old "Japanese Garbage" stickers?:D

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 12:08 PM

Well although 4 stroke engined bikes like the HD likely have no relevance to ouds or other musical instruments - racing 2 stroke engines might, with their tuned exhaust systems (pipes). No good for road use but hearing the 'song' of a 2 stroke powered racing cart or bike engine going into tune at full power/revs is music to the ears (well to some maybe)!
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 02:53 PM

G'day Steve.
I am sure that I will recognize and appreciate that nod :wavey:.
I read about “You will meet the nicest people on a Honda” :D

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/85/230168824_1f101afb66.jpg

Hello jdowning,

Not sure I would agree with you’all, eh? I cannot generalize, especially when it comes to a personal object like a motorcycle or a musical instrument, eh?
You might prefer the two stroke type because it is great fun jumping on sand dunes. So is a fretless guitar. You can jump around melodies and go western/Arabic/flamingo/classic. However, the feeling you get from a stable 4 stroke engine on the road would definitely enhance the sense of safety and confidence. In contrast to any other fiddle, a well-built oud will be the way to go to play a classical Egyptian or Turkish piece without losing the “spiritual experience” that comes with it.
In the past, I used to play oud music in my office. Comments were different. Some LOVED the melody and the others described me as a geek playing “hashish music”:)) while working :airguitar:. Hey, it is Texas & everyone comes from somewhere.

I am sure that at the end of the day, each one of us has his own different preference. IMHO, I believe that a well-made instrument would be the way to go without the need for a big stamp on it. The stamp will not add much to the fun, eh?
Regards,

Hatem
Sazi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 07:29 PM

Now THIS is a motorcycle! (and it's not a HD)

black_falcon_right.jpg - 50kB

See some more pic's & close ups here...

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/05/a-vincent-black-shadow-for-the...

Hey, Hatem say's it's DEFINITELY OUD-RELATED, who am I to disagree?

Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 11:45 PM

:bounce:
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-13-2011 at 11:37 AM

Real cool guys don't ride Harleys, but Indians :D

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-13-2011 at 03:30 PM

Indians?????
Kumon dude!
How much is your daily/weekly/monthly repair bills?
I hope you don't get a second mortgage :D
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-14-2011 at 10:02 AM

How much is your daily/weekly/monthly repair bills?

I neither have the money nor the time for an Indian. And I neither have wet armpits, that need to be dried, nor have I hemorrhoids, that need to be massaged ... so I don't need a Harley :D ... though I like low riders ;)

Ok, let's get serious ... I remember times, where every biker gave you a wink on the street, no matter, which bike you had.

Times are changing ... often not in a positive way.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-15-2011 at 08:50 PM

Hey Chris,

Pleeeeze pardon my "racist" remarks :D
Are you really German???!!!!
You seem like a transplant from somewhere else.
Germany has THE BEST mechanical engineers. BEEMERS are the BEST motorcycle designs, and yet you have a V-twin bike!

Germany has TOP LUTHIERS (violins, guitars) and you play the oud !!!!

What is the matter with you , dude?

I have to disagree with you in terms of changes: In the US, the situation is different:
20 years ago, if anyone dared to ride his rice cruiser in events like Bike Weeks in Daytona Beach or Sturgis, he would DEFINITELY get a raw egg or two :D

Today, everyone waves at you whether you are on a kawi, a harley, or even a crutch rocket. So, I would say that evolution is heading towards the better.

BTW, I did survive Daytona Beach week once. I hope you join me some other time. HOWEVER, there is NO GUARANTEE that anyone will accept OUR music :D
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-15-2011 at 08:55 PM

G'day Sazi,
Not sure why I didn't respond to your post.
GREAT BIKE, MAN!!!
I think I am in cyber love!!!!!
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-16-2011 at 10:41 AM

Are you really German???!!!!

Yes, I was born here, BUT I'm definitely NOT the typical German ... I would call myself a European and feel as a World Citizen.

I think, you know what I mean?

The reason of this feeling is, that I live my whole life in the Ruhr area, a former coal mining region, a melting pot of different cultures ... Poland, Italy, Turkey, Spain, Greece ...

Quote:
Germany has TOP LUTHIERS (violins, guitars) and you play the oud !!!!

If you see Mercedes, Porsche & BMW everyday, you dream of cars like this British TVR Sagaris ;)

Quote:
What is the matter with you, dude?

I love variety ... I play guitar (6 & 12 string), fretless bass, oud, drums and framedrums. And I love Gothic music, Jazz, Indian music (especially Tabla), Arabic music ... and I hate German commercial music :D

Quote:

In the US, the situation is different ...

Interesting.

Quote:
BTW, I did survive Daytona Beach week once. I hope you join me some other time.

That would be nice ... I hope some day I'll have the chance. I often visit the Nürburgring in Germany to take motorsport photos. If you ever have the chance to visit Germany, don't miss the Green Hell, especially the 24 hour race. It's the greatest race track of the world ... in a very nice surrounding, with castles and a lot of woods.

Greetings from Germany

Chris

Go To Top