Author: Subject: oud picks
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 05:15 PM
Horn Rishas

Quote:
Originally posted by Elie Riachi
How stiff are horn rishas? And how do you folks like them aside from breaking often?

Horn rishas can be very good or very bad depending on the quality of the horn. They can also be of any thickness. I've had good luck and bad with rishas from Nile Shop (mostly bad but 1 was good out of a batch of varying thickness- it happened to be a fairly flexible one)

I have some excellent horn rishas from Ronny that I like quite a bit. Good horn can last quite long. Typically they have a softer attack with a smoother sound - less "click" than plastic. I prefer fairly stiff rishas and the horn rishas I have give me a kind of soft "punchy" sound (somewhat reminiscent of Basel's soft rishas without the bottoming out click) – a contrast to the sharp "clear" sound of the quill rishas I've been experimenting with. As soon as I get some extra time I will put up some photos and sample sounds for my collection of rishas.

It is my belief that you can get a good sound out of all kinds of different risha with the proper technique - much of it is personal preference.

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 08:28 PM

> a contrast to the sharp "clear" sound of >the quill rishas I've been experimenting >with. As soon as I get some extra time I >will put up some photos and sample >sounds for my collection of rishas.

Lee, the eagle quill rishas that I have are very soft and much softer than horn rishas. The eagle rishas are known to be very difficult to master and I'm refering to the Iraqi way of making and playing them.

Best wishes

Ronny
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 08:51 PM

How would horn and quil rishis each compare in flexibilty or stiffness relative to guitar pick gauges (Thin, Medium, Heavy, Extra Heavy)?

Ronny and Lee, when you say Eagle rishis are very flexible, are they equivelant to Thin guitar pick or even more flexible?

Regards,
Elie
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 12:36 AM

Quote:

I have few questions. How stiff are horn rishas? And how do you folks like them aside from breaking often?

Elie

Elie, horn rishas made of good horn quality doesn't break. Horn rishas are superior plastic in tone production.

Best wishes

Ronny
Khyam
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 01:12 AM
Where to buy Celluloid

Elie - It seems that the easiest way to get hold of some new Rishas is to make them yourself so I was wondering if you could pass on the details of the Manufacturer and Specs of the celluloid you bought to make those Rishas in the photos.

Lee - Thanks for the Delrin tip. I think I will probably order some of that too and just make a bunch to see what's best.

I don't know much about rishas etc... but I will post a review of the materials and photos once they're all tried and tested.

Thanks all for your help
Khyam
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 04:45 AM

Ronny, How do they compare on flexibility to guitar picks. Are they equivelant to the Thin picks, Medium, etc...?

As for rishi material I made the lighter gauge ones using the pick gaurd material from LMI. Make sure you get the celluloid ones.

Regards,
Elie Riachi
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Ronny, How do they compare on flexibility to guitar picks. Are they equivelant to the Thin picks, Medium, etc...?

As for rishi material I made the lighter gauge ones using the pick gaurd material from LMI. Make sure you get the celluloid ones.

Regards,
Elie Riachi

Elie, I don't know because I have never played with guitar picks on guitar and I don't know anything about guitar picks. A eagle risha of model used by Bashir has a width of 4mm -5mm and a thickness of 0.6mm - 0.8mm.
A horn risha made with these dimensions is unplayable and one need to increase the thickness up to 0.20mm - 0.25mm to obtain any playability. The structure of the eagle risha seems to be very different horn because a eagle risha last much longer time than a horn risha. It's a unique material when it's thin, slim, flexible and extreme strong.

Best wishes

Ronny
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 10-22-2004 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
How would horn and quil rishis each compare in flexibilty or stiffness relative to guitar pick gauges (Thin, Medium, Heavy, Extra Heavy)?

Ronny and Lee, when you say Eagle rishis are very flexible, are they equivelant to Thin guitar pick or even more flexible?

Its very hard to draw any definite conclusions. Eagle risha are a completely different item. They are roughly as flexible as thin guitar picks but, because the shape is so different they have unique playing characteristics. They are very flexible but somehow manage to have a very hard surface. As Ronny points out, they are very durable.

They are also very hard to come by!

I have managed to make very serviceable risha from turkey quills but these are still not quite like eagle risha. My attempts using Pea<b>rooster</b> quills didn't work out as well (at least the ones I had). I had a chance to examine Gassan Bashirs eagle risha when I met him a few months ago – it was very flexible but had a subtle "spring" to it that is hard to mimic with any other material. Eagle risha are very narrow and require a bit different technique to get the most out of them.

Again, as soon as I get some time I will take some pictures and post some sound "bites" of some of my risha experiments. I encourage you to try different things but don't get too obsessed. You can make great music with almost any kind of risha if you learn how to use it well!

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top