Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Aremenian songs- lead sheets needed
Jaffa Road
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 06:47 AM
Aremenian songs- lead sheets needed

Hi

I currently working as music therapyist on the palliative care ward of a large hospital. I currently have an elderly patient who is an Armenian from Istanbul and speaks very little English.

He was very happy to have me play some Arabic style taqsims and samai’s on the oud at his bedside. I worked with him once and his daughter was there to translate. He said he would really appreciate hearing me play some popular Armenian songs from the 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s. Or older Armenian folk songs.

If you have PDF leadsheets for songs in the above categories and don’t mind sending them along, that would be most appreciated.

His granddaughter was there during my visit and he really enjoyed hearing her sing dzaghinger.

If you dont have leadsheets but can suggest appropriate song titles that would be helpful as well.

Suggestions for a compilation CD that I could buy with the above song catagories would also be helpful.

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 06:56 AM

I don't have any, but I think our forum member Amos knows a lot. Maybe he'll be able to help you out.

I know he has a couple of CDs, too . . .

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
DoggerelPundit
Oud Junkie

Mood: Odar

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 10:51 AM

Jaffa,

Good for you! Try these:

http://armeniansongbook.com/views/view-all-singers

http://www.mousaler.com/songbook/
maran
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 11:05 AM

You are doing a good thing. Thank you.

Given the man is from Istanbul and appreciated the taksims and semais I suggest the Marko Melkon and Udi Hrant I II III titles available from Traditional Crossroads.

Also, a lot of Armenians I know really like this CD

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/onnikdinkjian3

Any of the Vosbikian Band, Richard Hagopian, or John Berberian should go down well too.

Lead sheets might be hard to come by but hopefully Amos has some.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 11:16 AM

Hi JR

No written music I'm afraid but here are some pointers from my view from the musical mountains - some with singing some not, very often strong heartfelt music:

Check out http://www.traditionalcrossroads.com

Shoghaken Ensemble, Shoghaken Ensemble - traditional crossroads CD4334

Shoghaken Ensemble, Traditional Dances of Armenia - traditional crossroads CD4322 (some singing)

Shoghaken Ensemble, Armenian Lullabies - traditional crossroads CD4321 (mainly songs, Hasmik Haratunian has a mesmerising voice ... this will get to an old man's heart)

Shoghaken Ensemble are a really superb and 'authentic' group

George Mgrdichian on the oud - Global Village CD803
&
George Mgrdichian on the oud - Global Village CD801
(both just oud but clear pieces cleanly and beautifully played)

Onnik Dinkjian, Voice of Armenians Live in Jerusalem - Krikor Music KM5051 (All sung with a great band including his son Ara Dinkjian on oud)

John Bilezikian, Music From the Armenian Diaspora Played on the Oud - Global Village CD809 (just oud but clear pieces cleanly, beautifully and uniquely played ... not easy to copy his amazing technique but the melodies and timing are distinct)

Al Shaversh Bardezbanian & his Middle Eastern Ensemble, Oud Masterpieces from Armenia, Turkey & the Middle East (no singing but some astounding playing but also very clear melodic renditions ... his version of 'Sev Orer' is particularly spine tingling)

I also have a couple of not particularly well recorded cds by the Armenian Song & Dance Ensemble which I bought because I liked the timing on some of the pieces like 'Sevani Tsgnorsnerou Bar' ... One is called 'Armenian Folk Songs & Dances' the other 'Armenian Festival' ... both on monitor MCD 71352 & MCD71321

There are loads of Armenian American Kef bands that other members can point out to you but be sure to check out Udi Hrant Kenkulian's original versions of his own songs scattered across 3 fantastic cds on traditional crossroads - you will keep hearing these songs echo through the diaspora but the originals are good to know ... Richard Hagopian's cd, Best of Armenian Folk Music - ARC Music EUCD 1222 is also very good.

Hope this helps and the numbers still make sense!! ... others will know far more

Leon:)

robertthomasmartin
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-21-2011 at 06:53 PM

Armenian Song Bouquet Volumes 1,2,3 and 4.
PDFs:
http://gfax.ch/literature/sheet_music/
Amos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 05:22 PM

Leon just about said it all...I would specifically suggest two songs by Udi Hrant Kenkulian: 'Sirdus Vera Kar Ma Ga' and 'Siroon Agchek'. Also 'Anush Yares Heratza' and 'Vart Kaghelen Kookas Yar' are favorites. Khatchaturian's 'Im Anush Davigh' will certainly be beloved by the gentleman. Also 'Voch Me Dzalig' is a great choice. 'Agh Im Anush Yares' (also called simply Chinarboyev) is another favorite. I learned all of these from watching the last Al Bardezbanian so I am afraid I dont have sheet music but you can find recordings of all of these that you can learn fairly easily by ear. Good luck!

Our music is like an ocean...

Go To Top