Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Want to learn the oud, tips before starting?
sameera
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 04:06 PM
Want to learn the oud, tips before starting?

Hello!
For years I've been wanting to learn to play the oud and Ive finally decided to do it. The only thing is I have no experience with any musical instruments at all! Is there any thing I should do before I start learning? Like learning to read some sort of musical notes? I know I sound ignorant right now lol thank you for your time and help
oudtab
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 09:01 AM

Bonjour Sameera,

Welcome to this forum.

You could start by searching an oud teacher.

There's also some oud methods. For example : http://www.amazon.com/Mel-Bay-Presents-Basics-Book/dp/0786678631/re...

About buying the oud, be careful about the quality. My personal advice on that point is - don't buy it online -.

myeyes2020
Oud Junkie

Mood: na3im

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 06:06 PM

Welcome Sameera!

In my opinion and experience, I'm aware that reading music would be very helpful but not necessary. Indeed, you should do your best to learn to read music while you learn to play oud (by ear or by watching others). It will take a looong time to read music fluently enough to be able to use it . Relying solely on reading music does have a disadvantage in Arabic Music. Most of the Arabic music is best learned by listening and imitating and having writen music as guide or reference (in my opinion).

Um Kalthoum was presented with lyrics and music by composers on cassette tape and used that as reference. She required that her orchestra have the music memorized with no written music on stage.

You made a fantastic choice as having the oud as your first instrument! Hope to hear good news about your progress.

Adel
sameera
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 09:39 PM

Thanks for all the great advice and support!!And I'll def be looking into that book!
-Sameera :)

Go To Top