Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bracing the extended fingerboard.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-6-2011 at 01:46 PM
Bracing the extended fingerboard.

I was just curious if anybody has any thoughts on bracing for an extended fingerboard. I am making an Arabic oud, and plan on inlaying the fingerboard into the face. I know there are a couple of approaches--fingerboard on top of the face, or fingerboard flush with the face. I just like the look of the latter.
Do you think any additional bracing is necessary underneath? I am leaning toward no additional bracing, but wanted to throw the idea out there. One possibility is to have some very very thin support running along the seam of the joint all the way around.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-7-2011 at 04:33 AM

My old Egyptian oud has an extended fingerboard of Mahogany inlaid full depth and flush with the face (about 1.5 mm thick). The extension also has inlay strips cut to about half the thickness so adding weakness.
The fingerboard inlay is supported by a traditional bracing arrangement i.e with a brace positioned at the top of the sound hole, the neck block and a brace placed midway between the two. The joints and the inlay are further reinforced with two paper patches (extending the full width of the inlay) glued between the braces.
As paper reinforcement strips are also used (normal practice) along the rib joints of the bowl, glued paper should also be more than adequate for the fingerboard inlay - although hot hide glue should be used as this sets 'rock' hard providing additional strength and stiffness to the inlay.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-7-2011 at 06:29 AM

Thanks so much! That's the direction I was leaning in--it is nice to have it confirmed.

Go To Top