Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ARticle about Iraqi ouds
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-10-2004 at 02:38 PM
ARticle about Iraqi ouds

Nice article.

http://www.raya.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=395...

Chris :airguitar:
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-10-2004 at 07:31 PM

NICE ARTICLE!!
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 02:51 AM

er ... ah ...

i'm terribly sorry - my knowledge of r. crumb speed language is absolutely nil.

kidding aside, i'd love a translation, please.

sincerely - bill
joseph
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 07:15 AM

Hi,
I have made a very quick and rough translation of this article for the benefit of our friends who do not know Arabic, which I hope carries the nice touch that the article has about the tradition of oud making. Unfortunately I couldn't find the full name of the luthier from the article, and that's a shame because it would have been nice for the Journalist to give him some publicity, and I would like to know who this luthier is if someone knows. I also believe Zeryab is a musician not a poet as the article mentions and the jealousy was from a rival musician not the Khalif according to other stories that I read about this. I also suspect that not all ouds in spain would have been imported from Baghdad, but these minor mistakes are not central to the article so I translated them as is. Thanks - Joseph

AL RAYAH Newspaper DOHA Wednesday 8 Sep 2004

An Iraqi Luthier conserves the traditions of Oud Making in Baghdad.

He sells three or four ouds a month after he used to sell the same amount every week.

In a small workshop in Baghdad, there is a luthier by the name of Youssef who is putting the final touches on a oud that he carries as if it was a baby. The family of this luthier has been working in making this type of instrument for more than a hundred years, since his late grandfather started it. The luthier says "The oud has its secrets, and you can make many ouds using identical materials but you will not find two that are identical in sound". This luthier who is 36 years old belongs to a dwindling group of craftsmen in Baghdad which was once the capital of an empire that exported ouds and art as far as Spain. However, war, sanctions and poverty nearly destroyed this ancient craft that was transferred from father to son for generations. On the wall of the shop, which contains many instruments, there is a picture of his grandfather handing a oud to Saddam Hussein who is smiling broadly. The lutheir says that it is very difficult to get hold of wood for the oud which comes from India and strings which are imported from Germany, in Baghdad today, and sales are declining. The luthier says : "We work very hard to preserve our reputation. We have to protect our family's name. The luthiers of Egypt and Syria do this for the money. This is why our ouds are of much better quality. The experience of our family has caused us to become skilled Luthiers"

The luthier talks with pride about Arabic musicians and singers who came once to his workshop to buy his instruments, among whom is The Iraqi oud player Munir Bashir who is considered the greatest oud player of his generation. The workshop would become very busy before oud festivals in Lebanon and Iran. After the Iraqi economic collapse and the escape of many artists who were prosperous in Iraq, the luthier says that he sells three to four ouds a month compared to five a week prior to the American invasion of his country last year. The oud is as old as Iraq which is the cradle of an old civilisation, and is played using a plectrum which used to be made of the feather of a bird, but is now made of plastic. The ouds are covered with sand/dust in the workshop despite the fact that each would cost up to 1000 American dollars, and pieces of woods and different parts of the Oud are scattered on the floor throughout the workshop. There is a small kerosone lamp which sits over an old black and white TV which the Luthier uses when the Electricity cuts off. The luthier says "I have made 500 ouds but my father made 5000. Because they are made by hand each one has a different sound".The luthier says that patience and precision are very important in making ouds. After the luthier puts the final touches on his instrument, he plays a sad tune that fills his workshop, and he will cotemplate for a while. The luthier says "You can play any music using the oud. If you're happy then the oud is happy, and if you're sad then the oud is sad. The oud will give you everything if you know how to use it". "Thousand and one nights" is full of stories about young virgins who play the oud in palaces of the sultans. During the Abassid era, the poet Zeryab transfered the oud to Spain when he ran away from the Jealousy of the Khalif Haroun al Rashid. The ouds which were used in Gharnatah and Qortobah were made in Baghdad, and this music later influenced the classical European music, and some instruments. The luthier says that he is not sure whether the Iraqi oud will one day be restored to its rightful place,but he wants to transfer his skills to his children one of whom is eleven, and the other two years old so the traditions of the family are preserved. He added "one day I will teach them the secrets of the oud".
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 07:23 AM

thank you joseph - that was very much appreciated.

sincerely - bill
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 10:25 AM
Thanks

Thanks as well from me!

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 12:19 PM
the journalist made a great missunderstanding

Youssef Al-Awad is a frend of mine. His real name is Youssef Aboud, he is one of Mohammed Fadel Husseins apprentices, he has been with Mohammed Fadel since he was 13 years old. The picture on the wall is with Mohammed Fadel Hussein handing his famous oud to Saddam Hussein as a gift (everybody knows about this foto).
This picture was given to Youssef by Mohamed Fadel and it cauzed Yossef a lots of trouble (thats Youssefs story) since Omar Mohammed Fadel (Fadels youngest son I think) acused Youssef of stealing that picture, and Youssef was imprisoned for 8 days despite that Mohammed Fadel went to the police and told them that he gave the picture to Youssef as a present (well the story is long with lots of details).
Anyway, the journalist must have missunderstood Youssef, becauz Youssef is very nice guy and he would never lie such a stupid lie, saying that Mohammed FAdel is his grandfather.
Mohammed Fadel was like Father for Youssef and I think thats what the journalist missunderstood.
it must have been a very stupid journalist who couldnt recognize Mohammed Fadel in a picture!!
Anyway, Youssef makes great ouds and he's a master when it comes to finishing up ouds.
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 12:25 PM

Here's a picture of Youssef holding up an oud made of Iyad Al-Aswad.
Iyad Al-Aswad is also one of Mohammed Fadels apprentices. He has done ouds for many famous artist like Abadi Al-Johar and Rashed El-Majed
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 12:28 PM

Here's the backside of Iyad Al-Aswads oud
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 12:33 PM

The reason why Youssef is holding Iyads oud, is becauz Youssef was very the day before the foto was taken.. He sold 7 ouds (all of his ouds) to a Saudi guy, and he had nothing to show me of his own work, and since Iyad was such a good frend to him he showed me Iyads oud.
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 12:47 PM

Very nice looking oud, this particular oud looks very similiar the Kuwait model by Mohammed Fadel.

Best wishes

Ronny
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 01:28 PM

Hey guys,

Joseph...thanks for the translation. That was great! It would have taken me an hour to read that! :-)

Walkad...awesome pictures. Those ouds have a lot of character. I love them!

Take care,
Mike

Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-13-2004 at 05:30 AM
Thanks Joseph and Walkad

Thanks Joseph for the very informative translation and Walkad for the awesome pictures. Walkad I wonder what the price of such a 3ood is in Baghdad and what the price is if the 3ood is in the USA.

Thanks,

Chris (Also known as Hilal, depending on the mood).:airguitar:
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-13-2004 at 08:27 AM

The situation in iraq is very special. Generally you could say that mid quality ouds are very cheap in comparsion the egyptian prices, and top quality ouds are relatively expensive.
There are mainly two reasons for that, under Sadams rule, it was forbiden to take out iraqi ouds without written permission from the culture ministry, thats why most of the ouds stayed in iraq and the prices was very very cheap, now iraq is "discovered" by the khalijees (arabs from the gulf), iraqi ouds suites their music style and they're buying up everything of top quality and top oud prices is rising (genuin Fadel is extremely high in price if you could find one). The second thing is that quality spruce is very expensive and hard to find in iraq, they have to import from abroad and shiping is expensive because of the security situation.

Youssef wanted for the oud you asked about 700$, its very cheap for this kinda quality (compared to prices in europe/us) but very expensive for common iraqis.
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-13-2004 at 09:08 AM
Thanks Walkad

I don't understand why Saddam would ban the exporation of Iraqi ouds to outside the country. I mean, its a great way to show the world how good the Iraqi oud makers are in their feild. and your right, the Khalijis are starting to purchase iraqi 3oods in huge numbers, but they were almost famous back there. I used to live in the Gulf and some of our IRaqi friends used to buy the ouds and sell them in Doha for 1400 dollars.

I have a fadel oud I bought for about 300 dinars, which is equivalent for 500 dollars. I said earlier it was for 600 dollars, but I brought the pricedown. I wonder sometimes if it is genuine. The sound is really good. It looks exactly like a fadel 3ood and it has his picture and signature inside.

It has a crack in the back though.

Hilal
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-13-2004 at 11:09 PM

It's very difficult to find a genuin fadel in iraq. In Baghdad shops they will surely try to sell you a replica. The prices I saw raged from 300$ to 700$. I managed to find a real Fadel but the seller asked 1500$ for it and unfortunatly I didnt have the money, but I am working on getting it. And how could I be sure it's a real?
The answer is that you have to agree with the seller to take the oud to Faiq Mohemmed Fadel (Fadels oldest son), if the oud is genuin, Faiq will write you a certificate that insures the oud is a genuin Fadel. This is the only way to be sure the oud is real, and the only one Fadels sons who can issue such cert. is Faiq. So if you happend to visit iraq, try to contact Faiq and if your oud is genuin he will write you a cert.
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-21-2004 at 12:37 AM

handing his famous oud to Saddam Hussein as a gift

does saddam play?
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-21-2004 at 12:54 AM

I dont think that Saddam plays. In Iraq most of the artists, musicians and painters etc.., dedicate or give some of their work to Saddam, by doing so they can avoid accusation of being against the leader and everything gets much easier (Tv shows, exhibitions etc). For example, iraqs most famous singer Kazem El-Saher was boycotted in radio and tv for several years just becauz he didnt come back to iraq and sing at Saddams birthday!!
I guess Fadels survival instinct told him to give Saddam an oud so that he could be left along minding his own business.
chuckerbutty
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-21-2004 at 01:59 AM

Can't really picture Saddam playing a taqsim myself.

Go To Top