Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: breaking strings, help
maryisk
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-3-2011 at 07:46 AM
breaking strings, help

I have an egyptian oud, 616mm scale length, and I prefer having it tuned FAdgc.
Since I've started learning, I've only had those 5 courses and I wanted to add the 6th course (a high ff).
I purchased the Labella OU80A set from Oudstrings.com and strung according to http://www.oudcafe.com/stringing_and_tuning.htm and I couldnt bring the strings with the smallest gauge anywhere near their proper tuning (high f) (i believe they were an octave BELOW where i needed to be), without them coming very near to breaking, same with the second smallest gauge (high c) (but in this case it was on the right octave, and one of them actually broke).
What can I do, what am I doing wrong?
I'm still a bit of a beginner, the oud is my first string instrument and I've only been at it for 6 months now (and this also happens to be my first time changing my strings on my own, if that isnt already apparent =))

Thank you in advance
God Bless
Oud Dude
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-3-2011 at 01:17 PM

hello, make sure that the oud strings have low tension to avoid any pressure on the instrument. strings like labella, which i prefer and use, or addario strings, God bless
maryisk
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 02:04 PM

thanks for your reply Oud Dude
these are Labella strings, the tension is listed at 3.7, but i dont see why thats the problem, plenty of players use that set, i'm sure they dont have the same problem i'm having
im pretty sure im doing something wrong =(
maryisk
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 03:08 PM

is it because im trying to bring my strings up to the right pitch too quick?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 7-6-2011 at 08:35 AM

Hi Mary,

I'm sorry you're having trouble.

It shouldn't matter how quickly you are bringing the strings up to pitch.
The tension on the LaBella set is on the high side for the high f string (average tension is about 4kg for the set, but the high f is the highest tension at about 4.8 on your oud).

The set is not meant to be tuned lower; the high ff course is tuned to the F immediately above middle C on the piano, and the cc course is the same as middle C (oud music is written an octave higher than the instrument is tuned).

Assuming you're tuning to the right pitch, I'm a little surprised that the strings broke, but your oud is a bit on the long side. It's also possible that there was some defect with those particular strings.
LaBella doesn't really explain what they are thinking, but from what I can tell, this set is best on a shorter scale floating bridge oud (around 585mm, on which the high f would be about 4.3kg), although it can work on some fixed bridge ouds.

I can send you a complimentary pair of .020" strings, which should have about 4kg tension on your oud; there should be no risk of them breaking.

I also have an extra pair of the LaBella high f (.022") strings that I can send if you want to try again and see if the other strings were merely defective.

cheers,
Brian

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
maryisk
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-6-2011 at 08:19 PM

thanks Brian! I actually figured out what I was doing wrong (I knew it was a dumb mistake, so consider this a warning for what I'm about to write haha); I wasnt leaving enough string out when I tied the strings to the bridge, so when I came to wind em up at the peg box, the string wasnt breaking, it was just slipping right out of the knot!
the tension from the ff string wouldnt cause any significant damage would it?
Brian, thanks so much for being so helpful on and off of oudstrings.com =)
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 07:00 AM

I'm glad you figured out the problem.

The tension from the ff course shouldn't be dangerous, most of the set is much lower in tension.

You might want to try tuning the whole oud down a 1/2 step (E G# C# F# B E) and see how that feels first.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top