Printable Version  
Author: Subject: crack on the top along the fingerboard
farid
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 10:15 AM
crack on the top along the fingerboard

Hi,
I need some advices from luthiers or someone who had this kind of crack on his instrument... I'll be very glad if someone can light me. The crack is along the fingerboard. It's very thin but it crosses the top. So I need some advices in order to repair it. My hand can pass by the hole. It is quite big for that. Can I glue some pieces of spruce along the crack by inside or is it necessary to take off the soundboard? What do you think?

thanx
sabbassi
Oud Junkie

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 10:27 AM

Hello Farid,

Is it possible to attach a picture? a piece of spruce (cross grain) could help.

if you want to go for the easy way: put some tiebond in the crack (u could add some water, the titebond will go deep between the crack and also expant the wood little bit), use some 3m tape pull both side to each other. like joining the ribs. or any other method to get them closer to close the crack.

at the same time use small piece of spruce under the whole rack and clamp it (need some pression) underneath.

that's how I would do it. may be other people have other manners. or you cold replace the fingerboard.

good luck

Best regards, Samir
farid
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 11:28 AM

Thank you very much sabbassi :buttrock:. I will sent you some pictures as I can from inside and outside shortly...

Go To Top