Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sukar, which model is it ?
BaniYazid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-20-2011 at 06:32 AM
Sukar, which model is it ?

Hello,

I found this sukar on ebay and I'm going to buy it, 100€ with hard case, but can't find this model on sukar web site http://www.oudsukar.com/en/products_oud_en.php

sukar2.JPG - 2kB sukar3.JPG - 55kB sukar.JPG - 54kB

Edit : 3 other pictures from the seller

I seems to be a model for a french store "Sham Music", perhaps is it personalized for them. Any french oudist try this shop ?
Do you think the bridge has been restored ? it's the only thing that frightens me

Thank's

chevalet 1.jpg - 778kB chevalet 2.jpg - 723kB luthier.jpg - 330kB
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 7-21-2011 at 03:06 AM

bon jour Bani- the bridge does look like it may have had something done to it, but it's difficult to tell from the photo..it seems like a Sukar bridge though. If it is a genuine Sukar, then at 100 euros it's worth it. Is it being sold by Sham Music? You can ask Sham music about it- they do have a website and you speak the same language... on the other hand 'Sham' sounds too close to 'Scam':shrug: ( just joking). let us know if you do buy it and what it's all about. regards MW
BaniYazid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-21-2011 at 04:38 AM

Thank you Matthew.
The seller buy from Cham Music Shop, and don't use it since. If the bridge have a problem I gone try to repair it. With the hard case it's worth it.
More information to come.
BaniYazid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-24-2011 at 09:32 AM
Update

Hello to all Sukar oud lover, (and the others too!)
Many questions this days about Sukar ouds.

I buy this oud, and have it until September.
It's the model 1, in good condition, not played a lot. Built in 2011
Know I can say like other said before, don't hesitate to buy Sukar oud model 1, easy to play, good sound. I really appreciate after 11 months playing with cheap ouds with huge action :mad:.
I think I will soon change the nut, and after that the pegs who are roughly shaped.
I have Aquila NylGutt super light strings on it and it's a pleasure, I'll try the medium tension set next month with a pair of G NylGutt.

Have a nice time playing your oud(s), sharing your knowledge and music here, and everywhere.

:wavey:
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 11-25-2011 at 12:31 AM

I would have said the copper strings are typical Sukar factory stuff. The kindest thing you can say about them is that they have interesting bass presence. Pencil marks around the bridge I've seen on some original factory-installed Sukar bridges, and the bridge is the right wood and shaped like a Sukar bridge. It's hard to imagine anyone would reglue the bridge and put those same strings back on. Very unusual for a Model 1 to have round soundholes and cages on the small ones. I guess it confirms that Sukar isn't bound by his catalog at all. Glad to hear it's playing well for you!

Is the nut giving you trouble? If it's not, I'm not sure it's wise to change it. I don't believe any bridge can reliably prevent wound strings from "clicking".

naddad
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 12:12 PM

Just FYI the label says the oud was made in 2001 (not 2011) and that it is model no.1.
However it looks like it was a bit customized with additional ornaments on the sound holes and the clef on the pickguard.

In any case, great catch for 100 euros!
BaniYazid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 04:14 AM

The bridge is good, there was some dust let me thought it was reglued. The nut is higher in treble part, it's not disturbing the playing so you are right, don't need to take a risk changing it.
Yes naddad, built in 2001, i think it was customised for the french shop Cham music.
Thanks for your comment.
David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 09:38 AM

Hi Mohamed,

This is my model 1, bought in 2001 at Cham music.

Let me know if you are interested to know something about it.

DSCN0057.JPG - 131kB DSCN0069.JPG - 137kB DSCN0058.JPG - 177kB DSCN0070.JPG - 119kB DSCN0074.JPG - 182kB

DSCN0072.JPG - 146kB
David.B
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 09:46 AM

Model 8, I guess. Bought in 2007, but I'm not sure.

What I observed by myself : sometimes Khaled fixes damages due to carrying.

DSCN0056.JPG - 125kB DSCN0062.JPG - 175kB DSCN0068.JPG - 163kB DSCN0071.JPG - 125kB DSCN0073.JPG - 151kB
BaniYazid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 10:55 AM

Are the pegs of your model 1 original or did you change them ? look mine, they are awful!

Did you have any problem with the finish of the back ?
(je crois que je devrais changer de déodorant :D )

Thank you

rought pegs sukar 1.jpg - 508kB Attachment: phpDOilX0 (502kB)
This file has been downloaded 102 times
David.B
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 11:28 AM

The pegs I have on my model 1 have been made by Irène at Le Point d'Accroche -> http://www.lepointdaccroche.com/. She doesn't work with Wolfgang anymore. At this time I paid 900 francs. They are in rosewood and it's a very good job, better than what I have on my model 8! But the pegs on my model 8 are less rough than yours ...

The varnish layer on model 1 is very thin on the ribs. It disappeared where my chest touch the wood. Not a really big problem.

I had a real problem with the pickguard : the material of the hexagon, in the middle, were the same like the material of your "clef de sol". This material comes off with time. The present pickguard has been repaired at Paul Beuscher, Bastille.

Also, Irene polished the fingerboard once. The wood is too soft. If I have to play with it in the future, I would put this on the fingerboard -> http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=9763&pa...

She changed the nut : rosewood. Better sound. Better arrangement of the strings.

I had one or two pieces of wood around the soundboard which came off. I repaired it with some wood filler.

At last : If you look carefully, I put a protection (for guitar) around the pickguard (on both models). My way of playing destroys the soundboard around the pickguard. It works good.

I hope it helps.
David.B
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 11:43 AM

OK, je viens juste de comprendre la blague du déodorant ;)

Rassure-toi, j'ai donc le même problème rien qu'avec la transpiration. Mine de rien c'est du boulot de travailler les maqam-s :airguitar:
BaniYazid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-30-2011 at 04:08 AM

It helps, thank you.
I'll waiting to upgrade the pegs, I've changed pegs on my others cheap ouds, but for this one I prefer to be more skilled.
For he pickguard I'll wait and see, my playing don't hurt the soundboard so...
A question about "le point d'accroche" : have you tried his horn rishas ?
(Ce n'est pas vraiment une blague pour le déodorant, le vernis s'écaille juste au niveau de mon aisselle droite)
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-30-2011 at 06:14 AM

cella m'est déja arrivé aussi lorsque je jouais du oud en flanelle... il faut faire attention et ne pas jouer torse nue :)

Mabrouk pour ton oud. Tu vas l'aimer mais comment ils disent, change le ''nut'', les cordes et les clées d'ajustement. Il sera parfait ensuite.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
BaniYazid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-30-2011 at 09:38 AM

Merci Samir, ça fait 2 mois que je me fais plaisir avec ce oud et un jeu d'aquila nylgut.
Héhéhé, je ne joue pas torse nue, mais comme à dit daniello, ça fait suer. Je vais essayer avec une couche sous l'aisseille !
David.B
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-30-2011 at 10:32 AM

Oui, en effet, j'ai acheté 2 morceaux de corne chez Wolfgang. C'était les fonds de tiroirs... Donc inutilisables. Par contre il m'a montré une risha qu'il avait fait lui-même, peut-être pour mettre en démonstration avec son oud modèle "Abdou Nahat". Superbe, rien à dire. Un client en voulait absolument une, il lui a facturé 2 heures de main d’œuvre, soit 40 € je crois. Donc, entre 4 € pour un truc inutilisable, et une risha parfaite à 40 €... De toute façon, si tu lis sur le forum, tu sais ce que j'ai choisi...

Pour le vernis, ça craint ! Pour ma part je joue en T-shirt + chemise à manches longues en hiver, et chemise à manches longues en été. C'est en été, lorsqu'il fait vraiment chaud que la transpiration vient se coller à la chemise, et donc sur le oud. J'utilise rarement du déo (je ne sais pas pour les gens, mais le oud ne s'en plaint pas ;)). Donc mon oud (mod. 1) est juste un peu rêche au niveau des côtes, là où la transpiration et le frottement du tissu ont usé le vernis. Mais pas d'écailles !

Mais je sais ce qu'il te faut : un déo à boule :D

blonde_deo.jpg - 205kB
BaniYazid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-30-2011 at 11:02 AM

:D:D

Go To Top