Printable Version  
Author: Subject: what do I start with first to learn how to play it
dennis perusse
Oud Addict

Mood: confused

[*] posted on 9-13-2004 at 05:13 PM
what do I start with first to learn how to play it

hello all,

Question for you. What do I start with to learn how to play my oud? Do I have to learn a scale, a makam, or a combo of both?
How does a new oud player go about to learn how to play. Since I am unsure about ever finding an oud teacher or lessons I would love to know of any resources that would help me in my quest to begin. Bear in mind that I also have no musical experience at all. I have ordered "ud metodu" from lark in the morning but that is on back order. I am rather itching to begin with this but I don't know how. In other words....HHHHHEEEEEELLLLPPPPP! Thank you, for your help in my quest to learn how to play.

dennis

ps

for those who would rather mail me offlist my email is mach01913@yahoo.com
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 9-13-2004 at 05:26 PM

First start by tuning the oud. Search these forums on tuning.

Best wishes,
Elie
dennis perusse
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 9-13-2004 at 06:36 PM
hoto play continued:

hello,

I already know how to tune it. My tunings are, respectfully, low d, g a d g c. I am wondering where do I start. Thank you though for the quick reply though. :-)

dennis

:D
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 9-13-2004 at 07:16 PM
try these links

http://www.oudcafe.com/oud_basics.htm

Then try this :

http://www.oudcafe.com/exercises.htm

keep asking questions and do not give up. You will get there for sure.;)

Good luck

Emad from Sydney
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 9-13-2004 at 08:09 PM
tuner

The way I first started is by sitting down for a really really long time with my chromatic tuner. I'm assuming you have one because you tuned your oud. But once you tune the strings, find the positions of all of the major notes (the ones indicated on the tuner) and get accustomed to their locations. If you go to the advice forum, there was a post a couple of weeks back on how to mark your fingerboard for positioning.The next place I would head is to maqamworld.com where you can press each note of the maqam on the web browser and listen to it individually. I hope this was some help and not too confusing. I'm not an expert at all but I think the best way to get better is to listen to every recording you can get your hands on. Mike has very large collection of recordings on this site and you might want to consider buying some as well.

That is all the humbel advice I have. Some of the more experienced guys will correct me if I said something incorrect ( I hope )

:D
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 9-13-2004 at 08:40 PM

Hi,

I can send you big methode book by Prof. Mutlu Torun and VCDs ''How to play oud?''. The book is in Turkish.VCD-1 is in English 55 minutes.The other 2-3-4 VCDs are in Turkish.
Please send your address by e-mail me.

Regards.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
dennis perusse
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 9-14-2004 at 02:38 PM
ud vcd's

hello,

Yes I have those vcd's except for vcd #1. I have #2, #3, #4 and they are very interresting. Email me off list and we will discuss it. Thank you very much in this endevor.

dennis perusse
mach01913@yahoo.com

ps As for the book I have ordered the book Ud metodu from Lark in the morning so I am not sure if that is the same book that you are refering to.

Go To Top