Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mic: Rode M3
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-18-2011 at 05:56 PM
Mic: Rode M3

Hey guys,

I did a small gig yesterday and was using the new Rode m3 mic (small diaphragm condenser, cardiod) to amplify my oud. Before I've always used sm58's and at one point a shadow pickup.

I must say I am very pleasantly surprised with this versatile little mic! Gave me a natural and dynamic oud sound and no feedback problems (granted, it was a relatively small room). Unfortunately nothing was recorded yesterday so I can't give you a live setting sample, but I'll see if I can record something in the studio with it.

It also handled the bouzouki wonderfully, giving it a full bodied sound with real sparkle in the highs, really cutting through the mix (piano, bass, percussion and trumpet), while retaining the dynamics.

Most surprising... For bouth oud and bouzouki i found I did not have to use any eq in the mixer (I did have the low-cut switched on on the mic itself). And that's usually a good thing... Anyway, I'm happy with it, though I'll put it through some more tests in different circumstances and see how it fares.

So far, recommended. And at €79 it's not too big of an attack on your funds :)
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 05:25 AM

http://www.rodemic.com/mics/m3
David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 10:37 AM

Thanks for sharing :)

fayyazi
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-21-2011 at 10:58 AM

i second that...mine happened by sheer chance as the sound man ran out of SM57s! was really happy with the sound coming through monitors and the venue. definitely recommend
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-21-2011 at 12:38 PM

Glad to hear there are more happy users... Mine was also a last-minute solution since 2 days before the gig literally everything else decided to give up on me :)) Didn't care much for piezo's anyway... I was just a little afraid of feedback, but I had no trouble, and the sound was indeed very surprising considering the price you pay for one of them.

Go To Top