Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: looking to learn
jfint
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-19-2004 at 08:36 PM
looking to learn

Hi all, I heard the Oud played at a belly-Dancing festival. I have been thinking about learning the drum played for that to accompany my fiance's dancing, but i like the Oud alot more because i already play guitar and i like stringed instruments. Anyhow, can anyone tell me the best place to look for inexpensive, lower quality but still very functional instruments in the US? I'm in California.

Thanks
Josh
jfint
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-20-2004 at 02:22 PM

anyone know anything a bout this oud, or opinion on what kind of deal it might be?

http://www.yurdan.com/yrdn/gift_shop_product.asp?pf%5Fid=GMC%5FOU%5...

thanks
Josh

Also is there anyone here living in the south bay area that might be willing to give some quick lessons, particulary tuning, and basic scale?
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-20-2004 at 02:42 PM

If this is the price range you are looking for, you might also want to consider:
http://www.eraydinsazevi.com.tr
The owner/builder, Haluk, is a frequent poster on this site. While I have not personally seen his ouds (which start at $119), they seem to get good reviews. And, the guy is a pleasure to deal with.
Jonathan
jfint
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-20-2004 at 03:14 PM

Of course the problem there is that shipping starts at $200, isn't there some place in the US that has beginner's oud that isn't nescecarily the best quality, but is still ok for begginners? It is a shame that so much money must go into aquiring one of these instruments. I truly appreciate your replies
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-20-2004 at 05:46 PM

I did not realize that the shipping was that much.
Do you happen to remember the name of the oud player that you saw? By now, I am sure that know you could go with either a Turkish or an Arabic style oud. Belly dancing has a longer history in the Arabic world than in the Turkish one, but still, either oud could be played. If you decide to go with the Turkish oud, I would recommend you pick up John Vartan's video--it's available from Lark in the Morning. It is geared toward Turkish tuning, so I guess it would be quite a bit less useful if you are going to go the Arabic route.
If you can't find a tutor, I really do think you can learn the basics on your own, as well, thanks to this web site, and oudcafe.com.
jfint
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-20-2004 at 06:16 PM

Yeah I was just looking at oud cafe, looks like some good stuff, All I need is an instrument, I believe the the person I saw playing was eigther Paul Ohanessian or a member of the group flowers of the nile, I tried to get a chance to talk to him but failed. This was at the Desert Dance Festival in San Jose. Anyhow, i did send an emial to the place you suggested to get a deffinate price quote, perhaps that shipping rat they had listed is lower to the US, it doesn't hurt to ask anyway.

Thanks again
Josh
jfint
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-20-2004 at 06:23 PM

Jonathan or anyone else, what abou this one, its a little outside what i would like to pay, but after shippign the cheaper ones i have been looking at would be about this much. Anyhow, I would love your opinion.

http://www.wwbw.com/Gifts-of-Note-Oud-i83075.music

Josh
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 9-20-2004 at 07:26 PM

I would advise against buying an oud from lark in the morning. Josh i live in
Nor Cal as well, in San Francisco. I think your best bet is to do what i did is to go on ebay and buy a commercial oud from an ebay store called nile shop. You can prob find one for 250 with shipping and they are decent. They are the arabic style and more specifically the egyptian style as they they have a longer body than the syrian ones. They are good beginners. Another thing you can do is go on ebay and by a muwafawk khalife oud. These ouds used to be good but liek everyone says over time and different oud builders they are not what they used to be. But you will get a decent sound for what they are worth( about a $100 bucks) now if u do some tweaking like sand down the sound board and such. I have one I can prob sell to you and since im local, the shipping wont be much but I will telll you its not in the most beautiful of shape but at your stage id get anything that sounds ok.
jfint
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-20-2004 at 09:30 PM

Palastine, plese email jfint(at)calpoly.edu, If you would send me your phone number, or you can ping me and I will send you mine. I am very interested in the Oud you might be willing to sell. What luck running into you.

Thanks
Josh

Go To Top