Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Aquila oud strings on Iraqi oud? Any esperience
alidaood
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-23-2011 at 08:43 PM
Aquila oud strings on Iraqi oud? Any esperience

I play a Munir Basheer style Oud, and I'm curious if any one has any experience with these strings (AQUILA ARABIC OUD STRINGS FADGC'F' SET 59O LIGHT TENSION).

Presently I use Leonida strings out of France. I have to piece them together because some of the strings don't work for Iraqi tuning.

I tune FADGCF.

In my study, I'm learning to play down the neck, so it is important that the notes stay clean when playing far down the Oud.

Thank you.

Ali
Branko
Oud Junkie

Mood: !?

[*] posted on 9-24-2011 at 01:28 AM

I am using Aquila Nylgut normal tension for same tuning on 'basheer' and it works well, not to sharp sound on highs compared to other brands. I would recommend normal tension, if string lenght is 58.5cm.

Ich bin ein Balkaner!
alidaood
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-26-2011 at 09:17 PM

Thanks Branko,

I just got the strings today, and have been playing on them for a few hours now. I'm not 100% sure about them yet, but they really sound and feel alive.

I'm not sure what the string length is because I slide the bridge back so the string length is longer. It opens up the sound a bit. I copied my teacher, not my idea.

I like lighter strings, so far I am really happy with them.

Ali

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 05:14 AM

I would be careful about moving the bridge on a floating bridge oud.
The face is braced to withstand the tension of the bridge in the normal position; if you move it too much, the face may not be able to support the tension and will gradually warp or have other problems.

A centimeter probably won't hurt, but anything more than that could be risky. I would check with a luthier if possible.

The Aquila "light" tension is still not really light tension; it's medium-high.
Most people do seem to prefer the higher tensions on floating bridge ouds, though.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
alidaood
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 11:17 AM

Thank you Brian.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 11:56 AM

Here is my input regarding your question.

First, I dont advise you move the bridge back from its intended position. Floating bridges are suposed to be located in the area of the soundboard which has no brace directly under it because it is the optimal location to promote vibration of the top. Moving the bridge back increases the tension and the downward force on the bridge considerably but it also brings it closer (or directly above) the lower brace which isnt a good thing as it inhibits the vibration of the top.

If your oud responds well to the higher tension, the regular Aquila are an exellent choice. They do take longer than other types of strings to fully stabilize and stretch out but they are wonderfull once they are.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
alidaood
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 03:05 PM

Thank you Samir. The strings seem to work very well, I love their feel and sound so far.

In regard to the moving of the bridge my teacher said people would freak when they saw it. I'm not worried about its placement. My teacher has been playing Iraqi oud for close to 40 years, he has been moving his bridge for probably 25 years and has never had a problem. It does decrease the resonance a little, and you have to tune a little tighter, which does in turn put more pressure on the bridge, but it sounds great, and I didn't just try it based on a rumor.

I appreciate your concern

respectfully

Ali
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 05:39 PM

:airguitar:

Play your oud in good health ya Aloushi.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com

Go To Top