Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Al Aseel and other Oud shops in Egypt
ahmed_eissa
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oud-y

[*] posted on 10-4-2011 at 04:23 PM
Al Aseel and other Oud shops in Egypt

Hello everyone,

In the upcoming late spring/early summer I will be making a trip to Ismaïlia, Egypt to visit my family. While there, I plan to purchase an authentic Egyptian/Arabic oud, right from the homeland and take some lessons as well.

I have seen a lot of mention about the "Al Aseel" workshop in Cairo, Egypt. People seem to refer to the shop and one of the makers, "Maurice Shehata" in such a prestigious way that I am interested to hear from anyone who has had personal experience with the store and its products.

Also, if anyone else is familiar with the musical scene in Egypt, are there any other credible oud shops you can recommend?

I appreciate any advice anyone can offer! I'm in the midst of trying to play my stay while I'm there.

Thank you.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-4-2011 at 05:14 PM

Hi Ahmad,
I can recommend Maurice's ouds.
Al Aseel ouds are some of the best ouds today and definitely the best oud making shop in left egypt in my opinion. The bonus is that when you go there in Hedayek el Kobba you can try various ouds that will fit your taste for sound. His ouds all sound different from one another.

I have been playing his ouds for the last 6 years and I have become accustomed to them
They are also very well made, the neck on the oud I have made in 2005 is still dead straight and the action is as low as it gets.

in any case, you may not find something there that suits you but you will be greeted in a very hospitable way and you will be amazed at the work being made in that small shop.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 10-5-2011 at 08:07 AM

Al-Aseel/Shehata web page: http://www.mauriceouds.com/home.htm
ahmed_eissa
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oud-y

[*] posted on 10-6-2011 at 10:57 AM

Hello Samir,

Thank you for opinion! As I said, everyone speaks about the place with such high respect that I am definitely going to go and check it out. Also, what are their prices like? (In Egyptian Pounds).
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-6-2011 at 12:33 PM

You can get some for 3000 Guineh. I actually tried one for that price that I liked very much but those are his more student models.

Really when you see the other much nicer ouds he has they start at something like 7000 EGP to $3000 U.S. It depends on the wood, the level of decoration etc...

Most of those ouds are not sold in Egypt, rather they are for his 2 stores in the Arab Gulf countries in which they sell like hot cakes.

Good luck.!

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
londonoudi
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-23-2011 at 09:49 PM

So is the al aseeel workshop the Shehata oud outfit?

Or is it a seperate workshop? Or is it the same workshop with different makers?

Go To Top