Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ibrahim Sukar ouds
oudista
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-29-2011 at 02:47 PM
Ibrahim Sukar ouds

Hi everybody, i´m new on this forum (in fact is my first forum, so i must to learn how is this)
I have a big question about Sukar ouds,,I´m an oud player from Chile, and i need to buy a good quality oud, i mean an instrument that could be worthy of professional use, here in my country there´s not stores or anything about ouds in a serious sense, so i have one that i get in a siryan store who sells any kind of things.the result after 6 years: bad pegs adjustmet, bent sounboard, still good sound but with litle noise on some positions, so i need a real oud. My problem is i ´m afraid to make an invertion of an instrument that i just can´t taste!, i´m talkin´ about buy a sukar oud, importin it to my country via arab instrumet or palmirami store. i dont have money for a fadel or turunz oud, so can anybody tell me something about Sukar oud experience? woods? sound? pegs works?, action? i will really really thanks for any comment, sorry for my long words and my bad english, greetings to all, and thank you very much
Felipe.
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 10-30-2011 at 12:06 PM

Hi Felipe, Welcome to the forum.
I have a Sukar oud. They are what I would call good quality ouds, some players use them professionally. They have a definate Arabic sound and adjustable necks so the action can always be as you want it. Pegs work well. soundboards are usually spruce. The sound is full and quite strong, some are very loud, none are quiet. The sound is open and not nasal. I would recommend a Sukar oud and I do not believe there is a better oud for this price. This said, Sukar ouds are not as good as Ouds from individual makers. Ibrahim Sukar produces many ouds and has created an affordable oud of good quality but they are not made in a personal way. Try arabinstruments.com based in USA they have sound clips of the models for sale. Also do a search for 'Sukar oud' here on the forum. you will find many comments. Good luck.

Best Wishes, Charlie
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 10-30-2011 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by charlie oud  
Sukar ouds are not as good as Ouds from individual makers.

I agree with everything charlie says, except this. I think it's overly broad. There are definitely ouds I've played by individual makers that were inferior to Sukar ouds. I don't want to name any makers (they are ones that generally produce some ouds that surpass Sukar's), but Sukar's ouds are very consistent.
On average, individual makers produce better ouds, but this doesn't mean that you are guaranteed a good oud from an individual.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-30-2011 at 12:34 PM

Yes, thank you Brian. I agree with your comment. Indeed, Sukar ouds do often sound better than individually made ouds. I was not clear, I meant makers of obvious high repute. The point you make about consistency is absolutely true. I dont know any producer of ouds who maintains this level of consistency which is really commendable and confirms Sukar has clearly 'chosen' his sound.

Best Wishes, Charlie
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-30-2011 at 01:18 PM

http://www.arabinstruments.com/112730/Buy-Syrian-Oud
This is the link. They provide a sound clip for every oud they have in stock, I dont konw of any other service which does this or indeed of any individual maker (what does that tell you?). I am yet to replace my Sukar oud and may well buy another Sukar oud as I am struggling to find anything I prefer. Sorry, it sounds like I am contradicting myself, Its Mr Sukar's fault, his ouds have something special in their sound. Perhaps we should really stop and listen more carefully, this maker is perhaps the equivalent of Fender or Gibson in the electric guitar market, extremely dependable. I would use arabinstruments if decide to buy another Sukar, they present there business openly and promote their instruments sincerely.

Best Wishes, Charlie
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 10-31-2011 at 12:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by charlie oud  
Try arabinstruments.com based in USA

"Arabinstruments" is based in I S R A E L !
Imagine: Israeli dealer is an honest agent of a Syrian luthier !
What other thing would contribute to peace in the Middle East more than an oud !?

Sukkar's ouds are made in a factory that manages to produce 10 pieces a day. Engineer Ibrahim Sukkar of Aleppo/Syria has found the secret formula for the Arabic oud sound we all like & "translated" it into a big workshop, in which tens of workers, separately manufacture the parts, then assembled by the boss. They're very good, yes indeed.

Yours indeed
Alfaraby
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-31-2011 at 02:59 AM

My apologies Alfaraby and Felipe. I was under the impression Arabinstruments was based in USA thank you for correcting me.

Best Wishes, Charlie
oudista
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-31-2011 at 06:38 AM

Hi everybody, many thanks for your comments, this has been very clarifying and usefull. Charlie, you describe the sound of my dreams!, this is exactly what i´m looking for in sounds terms. I had already seen arabinstrument videos, but I had my doubts, is hard to catch the real sound of an instrument through a video, so what you tell me make me be sure to get one.
there is one last thing that makes me doubt, i saw this:

http://samirnassifoudluthiery.blogspot.com/2010/08/when-sukar-oud-n...

is about a luthier that repair a sukar oud problem with the neck adjustment sistem, (i think it could be owner misuse, but i really don´t know)

and another thing, Mr. Sukar have his own website, why dont get it one directly from him instead get it from arabinstrument?

i´m agree, MUSIC IS PEACE, in everyplace of the world, that´s why i think this kind of sites are so important among other things

greetings to all and thanks again!

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-31-2011 at 07:14 AM

Hi Oudista, that is a post from my blog.

I can tell you the mechanism most likely broke as a result of EXCESSIVE force being applied to tighten it by the owner. It's important to know that once the mechanism is tightened fully, that is as low as the action will go. Any attempt to tighten further only puts pressure on the metal pin which can break as I found out.

Regards,

Samir.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-31-2011 at 09:39 AM

Yes of course, buy direct from Mr Sukar if you can. Its almost impossible for anyone who does not speak Arabic to do this. If you speak the language then go ahead and see if you can contact him or ask someone to help. Good luck. You may also wish to consider Shehata ouds they are another source for affordable quality ouds. Shehata produces many designs and models, various sounds but still very 'Arabic'. Sukar is more predictable and if you cant try before you buy , at least the consistency of Sukar ouds means you know more or less what you will get. I agree that sound clips dont say it all but the Arabinstruments videos are quite accurate sounding in my opinion.

Best Wishes, Charlie
oudista
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-31-2011 at 10:51 AM

Hi, thanks Samir for your explanation, very clear, i saw your work, very beautiful!, i want start to learn the art of luthery someday. Charlie, i take a look for Shehata ouds, there are very nice too, perfect for egyptian style, but as you said, Sukar ouds means you know more or less what you will get, they also appear to be more versatile. So, i think finally i´ll get a Sukar one, thank you very much for your help, I will tell you soon

regards to all
Felipe
ExtreamTarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: ...Lessa Faker...

[*] posted on 10-31-2011 at 04:09 PM

Hey Felipe,

I can't say more, the guys have explained Sukar oud qualities really well. I personally am a big fan of how they sound...

I sent you a U2U, please check it

Regards,
Ibrahim
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 11-24-2011 at 12:32 AM

I was away and missed a chance to agree: Sukars are the best bet. The Volvo of the oud world. Each model has a different personality, but the common soundboard bracing and clever design means you would have to be a very unlucky ... no, I shouldn't even mention that. With a Sukar your chance of getting a very nice oud is very high. With any other maker, it's more like maybe a 10-99% chance of being very happy, and at a distance like that, they KNOW it won't ship back for less than $$$. Some real firewood has crossed the oceans labeled "professional oud". And Sukars are maintainable and can be resold if you later want something more exotic.

If I'm not entirely too late, I'll put in an objective plug for Palmyrami. They have had some good and bad publicity, like the others. I have used them several times. My experience is that they are sometimes slow, and difficult at times, infuriating, you have to fearlessly stand your ground, be a mensch, but for me, they have always come through in the end. And if you pick one of the ones they have in the US warehouse, and it's important to be sure, the delivery is fast.
oudista
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-24-2011 at 09:04 AM

thanks a lot, but i finally buy it from arab instrument, now i´m waiting for it, regards
Sawsan
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-28-2013 at 03:52 AM

I took a quick look at the website. Besides their affordable prices, the ouds have that arabic unique sound that I'm looking for, however, I am still reluctant. My only concern is the size. I am at loss when it comes to this issue and I am really afraid that I'll buy one and then not find it comfortable. It's going to be my first oud. So, any advice or suggestion will be tremendously invaluable to me! please HELP!! Thanks in advance!
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 9-28-2013 at 11:19 AM

A friend of mine has a Sukar Oud and I've played it. It is a well rounded instrument. I that many Iranian Oud players are using his instruments because of quality and price.
Good luck!

Go To Top