Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Oud ornament
oud.sounds
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-10-2011 at 01:14 PM
Oud ornament

Hello,

As many people here I started oud about 3 months ago.
Started with Marina's method and I am going ok right now.

Anayway, I have an issue with the ornament of oud music. How to fill the melody between notes? I tried to look at lots of videos but obviously, ornament is done very fast and it is quite tricky to see how the work is done.

Is anyone aware of videos/document how to implement these advanced puckling features?

Thank you.
DoggerelPundit
Oud Junkie

Mood: Odar

[*] posted on 11-10-2011 at 03:54 PM

Hi O.S. - Welcome to the forum!

If I'm correctly understanding your question, I think you are referring to the technique "çarpma" (Turkish - pron. charp-mah. i.e. to hit)

This is the grace note, or series of grace notes, attached to melody notes, a held note, or in between each note of a series—say, in a taqsim. There is infinite variation on this and it might be called a part of the soul of Turkish and Armenian styles. In my (limited) experience, I hear less of it in Arabic style.

I'll try to describe my exercise for this...hmmmm).

On the second string, strike the open string once downward with the risha. Immediately finger the second position ("B" in Turkish tuning, "F" in Arabic) with your index finger. This is known many places as a "hammer-on." So, you have just made two notes with one strike. Next, lift your index finger and strike the open string again, then repeat the "hammer-on" with your index finger. Note: depending on how you want your styling, you can make your second strike an up stroke and alternate down/up/down/up/down/up etc. from the start. Or, you can make them all down strokes.

Keep at doing this over and over as slowly and steadily as possible. Never do it faster than you can do it without mistake. Over time your speed will increase until the sound of it shifts into an actual clean grace note between each picked note, just as you have seen on those videos. Note: I have seen and heard it used two ways—with a tone sounding for the grace note, and with the grace note damped, and just sounding as a sort of punctuated stop.

From there, you start fingering notes with your first, second, and third fingers, and using your second, third, and fourth fingers to make the grace notes. (Armenian styling involves doing this with the third finger as much as possible, even on notes only one position apart). In time you will be able to apply this technique anywhere on the neck on any string, and work it into the melodies you play. Your listening will point you to where and how. Best of luck.

If I have misunderstood your question.....nevermind. :)

-Stephen
oud.sounds
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 12:31 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Let me time to digest it and I will comment.

Regards.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 07:34 PM

Aside from the obvious Tremolo, there's another one, I don't know it's name, where after playing a fretted note, you slip/roll your fretting finger off the strings, so the open strings then sound as the main note. It gives a very specific effect. All these techniques are like the baroque ornamentation on the lute and harpsichord, in that they lengthen and fatten up the otherwise plain and short notes of the pluck.
oud.sounds
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-17-2011 at 03:05 AM

Thank you both of you for your inputs.

I finally tried to analyze mike ouds videos and conclude that the main ornament techiniques are based on a mixture of HAMMER-ON and short vibratos (tripplets for example). The issues here is that it is quite difficult to see it on videos beacuse of the video resolution and also because it is done very fast. Anyway, if anyone knows about videos that implement these techniques showing it in slow and fast mode I will be pleased to look at it.

If my point was not understood I was talking about shown in the vide below at 00:00:5 :

http://www.mikeouds.com/video/edu/educational05.rm

Thanks a lot.
littleseb
Oud Junkie

Mood: high

[*] posted on 11-17-2011 at 05:12 AM

never ask a magician for his secrets! ;)
oud.sounds
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-17-2011 at 06:09 AM

I prefer a magician than is surprising you even though you are sure to know all about him... ;-)

By the way, do you know the name of the magician?
littleseb
Oud Junkie

Mood: high

[*] posted on 11-17-2011 at 06:49 AM

joking aside, there are a couple of factors playing into 'good' ornamentation. the first is skill. not only the skill of hammer-ons, tremolos, vibrato, etc, but also the skill of playing note-by-note, in tune, in time, without any fancy bits added. this is more difficult than it sounds and is essential to master before developing any sort of ornamentaion.
the second is personality. ornamentation is a deeply personal thing, and no player can truly copy another player. to develop good, personal, soulful ornamentation takes years of perfecting risha- and left-hand technique, knowledge of theory, creativity and soul.
i strongly suggest to practice playing in a disciplined and uncluttered manner and to study written pieces and maqamat untill you can play them without mistakes when half asleep. ornamentation will folllow naturally.
naddad
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-17-2011 at 06:59 AM

I think DoggerelPundit is talking about this technique which you can see at 00:06 in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suIN4K5uIYE
DoggerelPundit
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-17-2011 at 04:59 PM

Thanks Naddad, Just so, and best seen and heard at the multiple "held" notes in the taqsim.

A Necati Celik example of this in use by all fingers and integrated into the melody is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-5DlMsA0cw

Oud.sounds, you mentioned triplets. Necati's exercise for these is as follows:

Beginning on the open first (highest) string, play -down / up / down-, and also -up / down / up-. These three notes are played as a unit, with some space in between each set of three. As before, slowly at first and with a relaxed wrist. Speed will come. (you can see him using this in the video linked above). I heard him say that both "down" beginning and "up" beginning patterns were necessary, so they could be done from wherever your risha might be just before.

After accurate triplets can be played on all 6 courses, the left hand can move in to provide different note patterns. He also gave the same method for 4 note patterns, i.e. -down / up / down / up-, and -up / down / up / down-

-Stephen
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 12:12 AM

Littleseb's comment is very important.

It's very easy to jump to putting in a lot of ornamentation before you've mastered good tone and got the confidence to let a note ring. It's a bit of a diversion strategy to try to cover up poor technique and "feel" with too many notes. If you can play simply and with confidence, ornamentation will actually follow quite naturally, and, if you record yourself and listen back, you'll find it sounds much better playing simply with confidence and feeling, than neurotically packing in grace notes to hide the fact that the basic technique and feel for time aren't there.

I know, I've done a lot of the latter.
naddad
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 03:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DaveH  
Littleseb's comment is very important.

It's very easy to jump to putting in a lot of ornamentation before you've mastered good tone and got the confidence to let a note ring. It's a bit of a diversion strategy to try to cover up poor technique and "feel" with too many notes. If you can play simply and with confidence, ornamentation will actually follow quite naturally, and, if you record yourself and listen back, you'll find it sounds much better playing simply with confidence and feeling, than neurotically packing in grace notes to hide the fact that the basic technique and feel for time aren't there.

I know, I've done a lot of the latter.

That's a great advice, I've also experienced it when I was learning guitar.
I'm currently at the stage where I still can't play 100% accurately and am falling into that ornamentation trap. I think we do this to spice up our play a bit because otherwise it gets boring... :)

oud.sounds
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 12:34 AM

Hi,

Naddad, Thank you for the video, it was quite interesting.
DoggerelPundit, thank you for the tripplets information. Concerning tripplets, I learned about it for first time from Marina Toshich's book (The Basics of Oud) where she explains that the tripplet should be done:

Down - Up - Down Down - Up - Down

She explains (according to what I understood) that first note should be "down" to give it more power to it where the next Up and Down should be played softer. Is there any contradiction between the 2 methods or is it according to the feeling of the player?

LittleSeb and DaveH, I completely agree with you concerning the importance of building a strong basis. In general I don't switch to complicate stuff until the base is not done properly. My question about ornament was maybe because I am a bit curious about how complicated things are done (I have difficulty of hearing music and not understand how it is done :) ) and also to break the monotony created by simple exercises. Now, my self-teaching is organized as:

- Learning Makamat and playing it with Oud (Bayat, nahawand)
- Right hand exercise (according to videos on Mike's site)
- Left hand exercise (walking fingers) - I hate that!!
- Melody playing according to my ear - I love that!

Anyway thank you all for your help.

Regards.

Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 03:47 AM

I certainly recognise and experience the ornamentation trap and the points are very well made here and not to be taken too lightly ... but there is another thing to consider and that is to develop both in practice, because the thing about 'ornamentation' is it is a bit misleading as a phrase because it implies something that is decorated ... as an afterthought.

Really succesful 'ornamentation' to me is about texture, grain, tonality, personality, passion, feeling, interpretation, flow etc etc. It is also about the sheer enjoyment of playing and it is just as easy to lose sight of this also. I might describe 'ornamentation' as the exploration of the voice of the oud (and player) and is a little like taking a magnifying glass with differing powers of magnification to a tone ... the more powerful the more detail you find.

I think that 'ornamentation' needs loads of practice just to develop the feel and 'roll' under the fingers whilst retaining the tone and flow, and to develop this in parallel with vey 'simple' technique if possible - they all take their own time to crystalise but I think they inform each other.

All this said, I learnt a lot from my brief meetings with Nizar Rohana and UK udis, which was to never lose sight of the importance of the smple practice of good risha strike and tonality at its simplest level as this is the basis to develop from. I make sure I check in on this as a matter of habit - there is always plenty of room to progress.

Cheers

Leon
DoggerelPundit
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-20-2011 at 12:19 PM

Oud.sounds,

"Down - Up - Down Down - Up - Down

She explains (according to what I understood) that first note should be "down" to give it more power to it where the next Up and Down should be played softer. Is there any contradiction between the 2 methods or is it according to the feeling of the player?"

Though the two are different rhythmically, there is no contradiction in this sense that I can see. All are useful.

I'm not sure, though, I would call her pattern a triplet. Played as above and at speed, there would need to be a rest between the ending Down and the beginning one. Otherwise, at speed the two downs would run together resulting in a continuous figure in 3/4 time. Try it.

Further, if you add an "up" at the end of Marina's phrase and maintain her stress on the first down, you will have a continuous figure in malfouf. I hear this a lot in Armenian style, particularly from Richard Hagopian.

"- Left hand exercise (walking fingers) - I hate that!!"

I feel your pain. Years ago in one of John Bilizikjian's master classes, he was strongly advocating we all practice all the western scales, including the full chromatic from the open sixth string to the rose position on the first course. A lot of work that, and I was balky. I asked how that would possibly fit with the maqam system (who says folks are born with any sense?!). He blandly replied "how will you know where the koma notes and quarter tones are if you can't accurately play the whole and half notes you're used to?" To which there was, and is, no answer but practice.

We may be our own worst enemies in the oud journey from slavery to freedom. Much good advice is showing up from others here who seem to have conquered this. Good luck and play on!

-Stephen
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 03:08 AM

Leon, you are the yoda of the oud!
oud.sounds
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 04:59 AM

Stephen and Leon,

Thank you for you detailed inputs. I think that I got the general idea of that post:

"Start from the beginning!".

This discussion was very fruitful to me.

Thanks to all.

Regards.

Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 08:35 AM

yodaudi or udiyoda ?

Leon :)
naddad
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-22-2011 at 02:30 PM

It would be fun and pedagogical if someone could post a video of a taqsim or song played plainly, then played with some ornaments, and then played with lots of ornaments.

Anyway, how's your progress oud.sounds?

oud.sounds
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-23-2011 at 11:01 PM

Hello naddad,

I like your idea. I think that the maqam videos on that site are close to what you request.
The player plays simply at the beginning andthen adds some ornaments...

Thank you for taking care about my progress. I will answer in another post.

Regards.
naddad
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 08:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DoggerelPundit  
Thanks Naddad, Just so, and best seen and heard at the multiple "held" notes in the taqsim.

A Necati Celik example of this in use by all fingers and integrated into the melody is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-5DlMsA0cw

Oud.sounds, you mentioned triplets. Necati's exercise for these is as follows:

Beginning on the open first (highest) string, play -down / up / down-, and also -up / down / up-. These three notes are played as a unit, with some space in between each set of three. As before, slowly at first and with a relaxed wrist. Speed will come. (you can see him using this in the video linked above). I heard him say that both "down" beginning and "up" beginning patterns were necessary, so they could be done from wherever your risha might be just before.

After accurate triplets can be played on all 6 courses, the left hand can move in to provide different note patterns. He also gave the same method for 4 note patterns, i.e. -down / up / down / up-, and -up / down / up / down-

-Stephen

That's a great video Stephen, thanks a lot. Lots of carpmas indeed. I've been looking for a lesson for this technique but haven't really found any. I'm trying to slow down the technique to to see what's going on and have uploaded a short video. I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing and would love to hear everyone's comments.

In the video I start with a descending melody with no ornaments. Then I play the same melody by adding the carpma technique for each note.
So, are the grace notes correct? The right hand doesn't show, but I'm always hitting a down stroke on the first note, hammering the second note, and downstroking the third, just like you described in your post. Of course, the whole exercise should be played faster, but I will practice it.

Here's my slow and sloppy attempt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24rI1E53hVU&feature=youtu.be

In the Necati's video there's a nice run at minute 1:49 to 1:53 that might be a good exercise to practice as well.

By the way, I didn't understand what the triplets technique is, could you point to specific time in the video where it's illustrated?

Thanks
DoggerelPundit
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 06:41 PM

Hi Naddad,

You appear to have done it! The hard part first too, using all fingers. All you need now is lots of slow, relaxed practice. I would also suggest practice on open strings using the first, second, and third fingers plus other finger combinations you may see being played. Good work!

As for triplets, Necati moves so fast it is sometimes difficult to tell if he is using 3 notes or 4. A better video of him on this is here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNz7s-loLDc&feature=related

He begins a piece at 3:28 and uses this technique clearly at 3:34 and 3:39, and later (and be sure to see the later same passages in the piece where he doesn't use it). His right hand appears to be using down/up/down. He used to stress practicing all four combinations as described above. Whether you start with an up or a down depended on where you wanted the risha for the next note after the figure.

I hope Oud.sounds is doing as well.

-Stephen
naddad
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-19-2012 at 06:19 AM

Thanks DoggerelPundit.
I still feel unsure whether it's going to sound right when played at the right speed. When I practice it slowly it doesn't sound right to me.
By the way, is there a short and easy "etude" I can practice instead of just playing dull exercises? It's so hard to find oud learning material on the web. I'd love to see a video of someone playing the technique slowly then at the normal speed.
oud.sounds
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-26-2012 at 01:43 AM
News...

Hello Naddad and Stephen,

Sorry for the late answer. I saw you messages but I wanted to create a video also to show you the progress. Here is it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bxb2ey4_kQ

Please don't pay attention about my seriousness it it because I am so concentrated. In the life I am less serious than that :))

Stephen, thank you for taking care about my progress. It is going up and done. Sometimes I think I really progress and other I say to myself that the way to a good play is still far away.
Looking at such maestro videos like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsrPBNmh5Qk

is hurting me. It is so beautiful on the one hand but so difficult on the other hand... I know for sure that I should always go back to very simple exercises to be able to stabilize my play.

Naddad, I got you U2U only today. I did not see that each time I came to this site I was not logged in.
Your exercice sounds good and I think you are on the right way. You have problem of speeds but I do think that your play is clean (You don't miss strings like I sometimes do). Also, you oud has a very nice sound in my opinion.
Concerning the tripplets, as I spoke about previously is generally speaking the fact to pluck the same string 2/3 times with different pressure force. This is actually the ornement I was looking at the beginning. This fills the blanks between 2 different notes.

Hope to hear from you soon. Again don't be afraid to criticise my playing!

See you.
naddad
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-27-2012 at 08:09 AM

Looking good oud.sounds! What kind of oud is this? The rosettes have an Iraqi style, am I correct?
Glad you liked the sound of my oud (it's a Shehata by the way). The carpma exercise I posted is hard for me to play even at slow speed. I really need someone to show me, maybe in a video, how to slowly build up the speed and how the final effect sounds.

DoggerelPundit, regarding carpmas, I noticed a few days ago that the technique is pretty much absent in traditional Arabic music (Sunbati, Farid, etc...), and much more heavily used in Turkish taqsims. (Naseer Shamma uses it a lot but I don't consider his music traditional). Is this a correct observation in your opinion, or am I just not hearing it in traditional music?

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top