Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Oud ornament
DoggerelPundit
Oud Junkie

Mood: Odar

[*] posted on 1-28-2012 at 03:56 PM

Naddad,

You are correct, in my opinion. Thinking of all the Arabic and Arabic style style oud players I've heard, I hear far less carpma from them than I have from the Turkish and Armenian players. The technique is used, but differently, and sparingly. Regarding your speed, of course it is difficult. If it was easy anyone could do it! :) -- Seriously, just keep at it slowly and cleanly and the speed and proper sound will come.

The maestro video linked by oud.sounds is really pleasing. It reminds me of a beautiful taqsim recorded by Nabil Safi (son of Wadi Safi) sometime in the '80s. In any case, it is very much in the tradition of Farid Al Atrache. I have seen that right hand technique demonstrated (the part where the camera was pointed at the ceiling--everywhere but on the player!! :( ) The melody notes are alternated with a triplet on the first course (open). The triplet is always picked "up-down-up," so that the risha hand is set up to strike the melody note downward, and in turn, to begin the next triplet with an "up." At speed, it sounds like a continuous tremolo on the first course. (By the way, I have been trying to master this technique for a long time, with not much success).

-Stephen
oud.sounds
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-30-2012 at 01:32 AM
Oud type

Hi Naddad,

My oud is a Gawharet-El-Fan one according to the supplyer. I cannot validate it since there is the plain sticker in the Oud it self. But he is a good guy and I rely on him.
I think it is a hybrid Egyptian/Iraqi oud.

Have a nice day.
naddad
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 07:00 AM

HakanZ has some good videos and exercises for carpmas. Here's one:
http://www.hakanemreziyagil.com.tr/?&Bid=1182658&/%C3%87arp... (strike)-et%C3%BCd-7-Oud-Technical-studies
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top