Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: sukar 212 - beginner's neck adjustment question
urus
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 01:28 AM
sukar 212 - beginner's neck adjustment question

Dear members,

just received Sukar 212 from ArabInstruments.

The oud's great, but I'd like to experiment a bit with neck adjustment, 'cause the strings feel too low for me.

As I never did that before (my previous oud had a fixed neck), I'd love to hear your advices and recommendations on how to do this correctly.

(I understand the adjustment should be very gentle and scrupulous, otherwise one can have serious problems, according to:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=10789#pid74...
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=10258#pid69...
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=10966#pid75... )

Thank you.
:bowdown:

The Oud and The Fuzz
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 06:49 AM

Hi Urus,
Ok here goes:1) Losen the strings so you can get your hand inside the oud, you dont need to slacken strings completely, its best to keep some tension on them so you can judge the action hieght you want without having to keep tightening all the strings.
2) Inside the bowl where the neck joins the bowl you will find a wing nut. If you turn it clockwise the action will become lower. If you turn it anti-clockwise the action will become higher.
3) Only turn it a little at a time and check the action after each turn. You will need some tension on the strings to check this but not much.
4) Occasionally the nut can be an ordinary nut. If this is the case you may need a tool, small grips, spanner or similar to turn,
but usually the nut can be turned by hand.
Hope this helps, good luck.:wavey:

Best Wishes, Charlie
urus
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 07:04 AM

Thanks a lot Charlie!
Sorry, if this was a stupid question to bother you with, but I'd rather look stupid now, than a bit later trying to fix the neck)
:wavey:

The Oud and The Fuzz
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 07:07 AM

Not Stupid at all, I felt the same with my Sukar years ago. Enjoy, they are nice ouds:airguitar:

Best Wishes, Charlie
urus
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 11:56 AM

Charlie,
can you give any other recommendations on playing the Sukar 212, then:rolleyes:?
Like, what tuning fits more for the model?
I know it's famous for the low sound, but that's what Fernandreynaud wrote:
"I'll take the opportunity to plug UPtuning too. For some reason a Sukar 212 with a 600 mm scale seems to love being pulled up to Turkish tuning. It blossoms on higher pitch. Maybe it would love F-ff tuning"
( http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=10909#pid74... )
I mean, while experimenting with tuning it's good to know about the reasonable limits. Any experience you can share?
Thank you.

The Oud and The Fuzz
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 03:07 PM

No idea if they are all like this, but my 212 is very light, elegant, and very bright, compared to my sukar 1 that rules the midrange, and my 14 which is heavy ebony (?) and rules the bass. The 212 is what I turn to for more western-style playing, with chords. In the end, because I'd have to find a different pair for, (which was it, the DD third course?), I don't leave it tuned Turkish, it's just a bit more tension than I like with a standard set of strings at 600mm scale, but it sure sounds great tuned high. My theory is that Sukar went down to the shorter scale to accommodate both tunings almost on the same set of strings, but a few strings must still be optimized for the tuning you prefer.

This is not your first oud, so you know the tension that's normal. If it feels too tight, it is. A classical (not steel-stringed) guitar's strings are like oud strings, and, interestingly, about the right gauge, so e.g. two of the guitar's 4th string can work on the oud's 4th course. On the guitar they are pulled about twice as tight. But that gives you ready access to strings to experiment with. Arto's string calculator is a very useful way to figure out string tension.

How low you can take the action depends on how exactly the pieces were cut on that particular oud, and it's very important not to force the nut past finger tight, or you can strip it, or even break the retaining nail, that prevents rotation of the threaded rod, and whose head you can see on the back of the neck. We saw pictures of such a case on this forum. It may seem that if you just could tighten it some more, the action will go lower yet, but it's not so. Once the faces are pulled together, tightening changes nothing. A wrench ("spanner") shouldn't be used. I've never seen one, but anybody with a standard nut there should change it to a wing-nut. To give more range one would pull the neck off and reshape the mating faces. There are some photos and sketches on the forum of how exactly it's built.

To adjust, you probably only need to loosen the bottom string unless you have huge hands. Once the hand is slipped inside, I hold the oud by the neck when adjusting so the neck is being pulled back and that takes the stress off the wing nut. That way you can work with it with all strings but one at full tension. To adjust the action you can loosen the nut all the way, let go and let the neck settle forward, then gradually tighten while pulling the neck back, let it settle for a moment, then repeat, to find the height you want. That way you're never just blindly tightening while listening for something to snap. In can only imagine how that feels! Once you're in the zone, one quarter turn is a big change. It fully settles in over a few hours.

urus
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 07:50 PM

Gramercy, Fernandraynaud!

The Oud and The Fuzz
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-22-2011 at 02:24 AM

Personally, I would not tune Turkish on a Sukar oud. I would recommend standard tension Arabic string set and you can try the high 'ff' for the first course to see if you prefer this. The oud is for Arabic oud sound. Of course if you prefer Turkish tuning then make sure you use a Turkish string set. DO NOT TUNE TURKISH WITH AN ARABIC SET OF STRINGS this is too high a tension. Pyramid orange label is a good set for Sukar, they have firm tension but not too high. Aquilla Nyal gut work well also, so do Pyramid custom (lute strings) but these are expensive.
Hope this helps.

Best Wishes, Charlie
urus
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-22-2011 at 02:37 AM

Yes, sir! :buttrock:
In fact, I got used to standard Arabic (DGAdgc), and now I'm trying different variants for the bass courses (like, CFA / CEA / CGA).
Yes, I have an orang Pyramid set (650/11), and also a white one (665).
But right now I'm trying La Bella OU80 (loved their sound on me old Kubeh), they give that deep bassy sound I love. What would you say about them?

The Oud and The Fuzz
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-22-2011 at 05:06 AM

Hi Urus
Forgive me if I have underestimated your knowledge and experience.
You sound well capable of deciding on the stringing issues.
Yes, I quite liked La bella also, strong sounding.
We all experiment with strings and I sometimes think Sukar ouds tease us even more to do this.
In terms of sound many sets work well on Sukar ouds, tension is may be more important, how the string feels for both hands. Enjoy string time!!!

Best Wishes, Charlie
urus
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-22-2011 at 05:15 AM

No, Charlie, I didn't mean to look like "the experienced one" at all.
In fact, the more I play the oud, the more I understand I have a lot to learn, and it's the simple things that I usually miss. And, honestly, most of the things about the oud I picked from you guys at the MikeOuds forum.:bowdown:
And yes, thanks for the useful info!

The Oud and The Fuzz
urus
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-23-2011 at 09:23 AM

in the long run, Pyramid orange label (650) worked perfectly.
it came out that La Bella OU80 is actually too low for this oud, and I had to tune her lower, like ADEadg (cause otherwise the tension would be too strong), which was pretty funny, especially when you're playing clusters on the bass strings the way Swans did it:)
but she's ain't bass guitar, Fernandraynaud was right. her sound should be light, bright and clear.
so I vote for Pyramid in this case.

The Oud and The Fuzz
permanentnovice
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 09:51 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I jsut bought my first oud, a sukar 212, and I was wondering what the best strings were.

I was a little shocked when I looked up the price for Pyramid orange. $35!!! I'm used to $5 a pack guitar strings...Is there a good place to buy them that won't break the bank?

Also, if any of you guys have any advice on the right risha/pick, that'd be lovely to know.
freya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy in the mountains of WNC

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 10:08 AM

I recommend http://www.oudstrings.com very highly. Pyramid Orange at less than half what you saw.

urus
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-3-2011 at 01:10 PM

ended up with Pyramid F-ff, and totally agree with Fernandraynaud.
:airguitar:

The Oud and The Fuzz
urus
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 06:18 AM

Hello again guys, got a question again,
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=10965
pardon my stupidity, but what exactly is "coating the soundboard with egg white"?:(

The Oud and The Fuzz

Go To Top