Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lama Bada in the lessons section??
eagle-y
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-29-2004 at 06:23 AM
Lama Bada in the lessons section??

Hello every one,

there is a video clip in the lessons section and the player was playing "lama Bada" could any one explain to me what does that mean, i think this is a name of a song?

:D This is the reason why i'm playing Oud and i would really reaaaaaally want to download the full song but i need the real full name of the song and artist. Anyone??

By the way, i'm currently translating some arabic music literature to English and i think that allot of English speaking beginners will find this very useful. Will keep you all posted about this.
Thanks a ton....:rolleyes:
david
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ouderific

[*] posted on 9-29-2004 at 10:33 AM

Hey Eagle-y, I believe that Lamma Bada Yatathanna is by Fairuz. Also I dont remember what it means. The sad thing is that I should know what it means seeing as it was one of the first songs my oud teacher showed me:(
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 9-29-2004 at 01:14 PM
Lamma Bada Yatathanna

There are many experts on this list who could answer this better than I, but here goes... This song was recorded by Fairuz, but it has a much longer history. It is a traditional Arabic song (some say it originated in Palestine). It is of the "Muwashshah" variety, meaning it is based on a poetic form originating in Spain (Andalus). In my understanding, it is a simple love song sung normally by a man about a woman.

I hope this helps

Greg
chuckerbutty
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-29-2004 at 01:17 PM

Although there is a version by Fairuz, I believe the original Lamma Bada is much much older than that. My favourite version is the one by Hamza El-Din on Oriental Tunes - very simple, just oud, voice and percussion. Almost takes you back to Granada or Corodoba in their heyday.
Awwad
Oud Admirer

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 10-6-2004 at 02:13 PM

Hello all,

It is said that it was compsed by an Egyptian composer named Al Sheikh Abdel Rahim al-Masloub. He was a famous composer in the mid 19th century (maybe 1840s - 50s). It is used in most conservatoires in the Middle East. It is an excellent example on the 10/8 beat rythym. And yes, it is of the muwashshah form. I might be able to forward some different recordings to Mike (if that's ok with him) so he can post them. I don't know how to myself.
carped
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 10-9-2004 at 06:55 AM

Mouashah Lamma Bada Yatathanna is one of the most popular mouashahat in the Arab world and certainly ranks among the most overplayed oriental tunes. The lyrics seem to be Andalousian and very, very old. The melody is not. According to the sources I have, it was written by Saleem el Masry (Egypt, 19th century). The Hamza el Din CD provides a translation which is very free.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-16-2004 at 07:39 AM

Hey guys,

I have just updated the MP3 Page with two versions of this muwashshah that I have. Look for some other versions that Awwad is sending me soon.

Take care,
Mike

Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 10-16-2004 at 12:06 PM

Here is hypnotizing rendition of it by Doula from "In the garden" CD which has 18 tracks of Arabic standards. These two womens' vocals as the explore their Arabic heritage are beyond praise. You gotta listen to them. I hope the file isn't too large. You can get the CD here http://www.coolname.com/go/doula

Here goes nothing...
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 10-16-2004 at 12:51 PM

Here's Fairuz version http://music.6arab.com/fairooz..lamma-bada.ram
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-13-2004 at 08:55 AM

Here's another one from the Jalilah's Raks Sharki series of CDs. It is on Volume 3. These are very nice CDs by the way. I recommend them highly.

Mike

Go To Top