Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: buying a tar or tanbur for beginner in NYC
Aurelien
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 01:31 AM
buying a tar or tanbur for beginner in NYC

hello everybody,

I am contemplating buying a setar or a tanbur, however, my budget is pretty low and i am a complete beginner. I am aware this is an " oud " forum, but as I could not find any forum dedicated to the topic and considering that those instruments are remotely related, I thought i would ask nevertheless.
So far, the only affordable ones that do not look like toys I have seen are the ones from santoori :

http://www.santoori.com/setar6.html

http://www.santoori.com/tanbour2.html

they are made in Germany though, so I am a bit worried about the shipping. (I am living in upstate New York)

Has anyone any suggestion about the topic ? Thanks in advance,

Aurélien
Aymara
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 11:26 AM

Hi Aurélien,

some people from the US have ordered ouds from the middle east or Turkey and the shipping was no problem ... except the cost maybe ;)

Greetings from Germany

Chris
fayyazi
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-3-2011 at 04:13 PM

اhi Aurelien
i live in the UK and i know quite a few decent setars available for sale for not that much more that website is asking, but generally you need to find a circle of musicians who are active in their field and usually there is always something up for sale. my personal experience with iranian music shops that offer musical instruments is that in most cases the instruments they sell are of the lowest quality and its because you have no way of tracking them. again i emphasis that this is my experience and you might get lucky. your safest bet would be to ask a friend or relative who is traveling to iran to buy you one, the quality wont be much different, i can recomend a number of music shops in tehran that i've sent a few people to shop from. hope this helps
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 12:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fayyazi  
... in most cases the instruments they sell are of the lowest quality and its because ...

... high quality instruments are considered cultural treasures of Iran and therefore are forbidden to export. That's what we became to know in a discussion about an Iranian master luthier.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Aurelien
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 08:11 AM

merci a tous for your answers !

fayyazi, aymara, since I am a complete beginner with a low budget, finding a high quality instrument is not really an issue for me. I am rather looking for something affordable but with an okayish sound to start with.

I do not know anyone playing it in the vicinity so I ordered " Amoozeh e setar" by Alizadeh and I plan to study the radif by myself for a while before i take lessons. do you think it s doable?
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 08:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Aurelien  
do you think it s doable?

Shure, but nobody can tell you, if you will be happy with it.

So, before you order anything, I think, there's someone in California, who might have some helpful tips: Heyraneh.

She is a player with the right cultural background, as it seems from reading her site. So, why not write her a mail? Maybe it's worth it.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Aurelien
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 12:54 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll send her a word.

reminore
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2011 at 01:15 PM

aurelian - you are in luck...

go to santoori.com it is the website of pooyan nassehpor, a player in germany who also deals in instruments and has just returned from iran two weeks ago...i have bought parde (fret rope) from him.

best,

kosta
Aurelien
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-13-2011 at 10:03 AM

Hey reminore,

I did contact him, he is a very nice person. His instruments should be arriving from Iran within the next few weeks. On top of that, you can get online lessons with him through skype or messenger, so I think that's the way I'll go.
reminore
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 04:30 AM

bravo! glad you made the contact...
fayyazi
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-23-2011 at 09:53 AM

there you go! glad you sorted your problem..dear Aymara as far as Tars go there are only 2 tar makers that their instruments are considered national heritage and illegal to take out of the country. those two are "ostad farajollah" or (oos faraj) and yahya (the second yahya who is the famous yahya)

Go To Top