Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Little lost on risha/plectrum...
permanentnovice
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-2-2011 at 08:01 AM
Little lost on risha/plectrum...

Hey, I've got my first oud in the mail coming to me and I don't have any picks for it. I've been trying to find some, but it seems like they range from plastic pieces of junk to $20/pick cowhorn. Can anyone recommend a good plectrum for a starter and maybe a good place to buy one?

Edit: My oud is a sukar212. Not sure if that influences which risha would be best for it.
ahmed_eissa
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oud-y

[*] posted on 12-2-2011 at 08:18 AM

These rishas should be suitable. These are what I use. Pretty much suited for all around playing. Enjoy!

http://www.oudstrings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=...
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-2-2011 at 10:07 AM

Not just because it's my store, but I also recommend the Pyramid picks for beginners. They are inexpensive and more forgiving than cow horn.
Once you get more comfortable, John (Bulerias) makes good horn rishas that I and others enthusiastically recommend.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Aymara
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-3-2011 at 12:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
They are inexpensive and more forgiving than cow horn.

That's why I would recommend both for a beginner ... a Pyramid for the first steps and a horn risha too.

Nothing beats a horn risha. My girlfriend built me one from a piece of raw horn we bought at a medieval market. It needs some practice, but once you get used to it, it's fantastic ... it sounds so much better than any plastic risha.

And it lasts "forever", if you oil it regularly, so I would even pay 20$, if it's a good one.

My tip for the thread starter: Use the search feature of the forum, you'll find tons of info about rishas, from homemade over Pyramid to horn and even feathers. I myself got me a pack of turkey feathers from a craft supplies shop and like them very much, though they don't last long ... but they feel great in my hand and sound very good ... no wonder, it's horn ;)

PS: It might be worth reading THIS thread regarding horn rishas.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
bibo10
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-3-2011 at 10:35 AM

Like Brian and Aymara said, def get a horn risha from john vergara...his horn rishas are a plesure to use plus he makes it custom to your needs. Good luck

+++++++++++
Michael-GOD BLESS EGYPT
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 12-4-2011 at 09:30 AM

I used to be on a quest to find the ultimate risha and I've tried everything imaginable, including horn rishas (which are wonderful), but really, there is a huge variety of characteristics in natural materials like horn, or quills, or tortoise shell, and no two risha, even of the same material, will be alike. Just remember, if you're like me and you have fallen in love with the perfect natural risha, you will be very upset if you loose it!

Rishas are a very personal thing, a big part of your sound on the instrument. Once you start zeroing in on the general characteristics for your risha, hardness, width, flexibility, etc... see if you can't find a reasonable substitute in some more consistent artificial medium like plastic or nylon that you can replace easily. I have a few treasured risha, horn and quill, that I keep safe but most of the time now I'm playing with a fairly stiff plastic that I've shaped "just so." I can easily replace these and shape them the same way so I can keep several around at all times.

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 05:23 AM

:airguitar:

fixingahole2
Oud Admirer

Mood: oudish

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 10:24 PM

I have many cow horn, and buffalo reeshas for sale. I prefer the cow horn, a bit brighter than the buffalo ones, but this is a matter of taste.

I agree that every Reesha is a different planet. Particular cut, thickness, shape, length, curve, color.
Really, each of these factor, makes the difference. Try make two exactly the same, and even them will sound different...

hand_full.jpg - 292kB three_hand.jpg - 280kB buffalo.jpg - 308kB three_finger.jpg - 253kB

Go To Top