Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Badat Min al Khidri
Amos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-5-2011 at 06:49 PM
Badat Min al Khidri

Hi everyone,
I recently began studying Arabic...I spent a month an intensive language school in Morocco this summer and I have been accepted as a student at Middlebury at Mills Arabic School for 2012...I love muwashshat but I have not played them much because the poetic Arabic so difficult. I hurriedly recorded this sample just now (please excuse the oud playing, I was rushing) and I am interested in feedback from Arabic speakers or those who familiar with this type of Arabic. I know there are many mistakes here, I am just getting started and I have a long way to go. Any feedback is appreciated...also, this is a new singing style for me so my voice is a bit shaky. Anyway enough excuses. Thanks again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W9DNP-vv2E&feature=mfu_in_order...

Our music is like an ocean...
Amos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-8-2011 at 06:59 PM

No help here? I know there are Arabic speakers here...I'm not afraid, let me have it! Seriously, if you have time please do give it a listen and let me know! Thanks!

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 08:01 AM

Hi Amos,
I just listened to the clip. Nice playing! sweet sounding oud too. I admire your passion for this kind of music. Not many people, even of arabic decent listen to muwshahat

As far as the critisim, I have to first comend you for posting your clip and going out of your comfort zone to try this. It takes cojones :)

If I may give you some advice, try to sing from your gut not as much from your throat and mouth. Arabic style singing requires that king of strong/confident delivery. I am saying this while being totaly aware that its really difficult to do especially while playing and this not being your first language its hard to be confident and not doubt yourself.
I have the same problem when I sing songs I am not to comfortable with or unsure of the lyrics, my voice goes bellow the oud which is something to avoid in my opinion. The oud is acompanying your voice, not the other way around :)

I hope you find my observations usefull and remember to have fun with it too :)

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 03:46 AM

Great stuff Amos! I admire your commitment and think you create a great feel. I think the oud accompaniment is excellent - really clear and appropriate. Perhaps the taqsim section could also be a little more committed and a little less "feathery"? Singing isn't my strong point and I can't help on the diction which is perhaps what you're looking for. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing though.
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 04:28 AM

Thank you Amos, very nice. I am not an Arabic speaker but would agree with Samir that the oud seems to be taking the lead. I can certainly hear some quality in your singing voice and hope you will throw caution to the wind, and not fear the language too much. If you are going to sing in any language other than your own then you may aswell go for it in the same way as your own. Nice oud playing.

Best Wishes, Charlie
Amos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-13-2011 at 06:11 AM

Thanks everyone these are really helpful comments...definitely my singing is hesitant here. It's different when I sing in Turkish (in which I am much more comfortable). And Dave you're right the taqsim was a little soft, it was late and I was just kind of blasting through. I'll work on being more committed in my phrasing. Any Arabic speakers have input on the diction? Again, thanks guys for taking the time and for your very helpful feedback!

Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-15-2011 at 03:06 PM

Very nice!:applause:

Go To Top