Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Maqam of the Month... Again ((KURD))
bahleh13
Oud Maniac

Mood: Majnoun el Oud

light.gif posted on 9-29-2004 at 11:55 AM
Maqam of the Month... Again ((KURD))

Well, as I see, the Oud spirit is a bit declining here, we barely get to hear poeple contributing with pieces of oud often, and I would love to salute Jameel for his efforts (wonderful man) and revaldo for his enthusiasm for the maqam of the month thread. I hereby declare the start of the maqam of the month thread "AGAIN", same rules, same concepts, only I hope more contributions. One more note to add, this maqam isnt just a showcase of talents, but also serves as a space where the maqam can be discussed in detail, questions would be answered, attempts of reproducing pieces or takasim of great composers contributed. Hopefully, this thread would go on nonstop till the end of October, only to begin with a new thread and a new maqam.
Emad, sorry I took long, but at least, here's where u can post the piece i promised myself with on ur new electric Haluk (mabruk... they rhyme :D ). As for ur questions, the size compared to the old Oud is the same (maybe a bit slimmer), but weight is definitely less (1.6 WITH the leather soft case). The risha is touching the soundboard due to two reasons: strings are close to face (very good actually) and, yes, a soft risha, coz the voice is so strong I cannot sing along without getting a sore throat for a week if I dont play with a soft risha. Awaiting ur contribution (and the others' as well)
All y'all, maqam is "Kurd", so, bring it on...

Yours truly,
Basel :D

P.S. I hope someone who'll check after 30 mins wont disappoint me.
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 9-29-2004 at 07:54 PM

Thanx bahleh for starting the post up again. Its my favorite part of mike's website and the closest I ever get to a lesson. Very nice recording, I like the way you end each phrase. I don't know what it's called but you jump up like two octaves and play a few notes. It is very nice and wraps the phrases very well. I will inshallah post a recording as soon as I get a chance. Once again, thanx for getting us started bro :buttrock:
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 9-29-2004 at 10:01 PM
Electric Oud?

So Basel... this recording is with the Haluk electric oud?

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
bahleh13
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-30-2004 at 06:48 AM
Hey guys

Thanx for the compliments both. Revaldo, I know how much this thread means to u and how attached to the idea u are, and I guess I owe it to you to start it off once again. The part u like in my taksim most is called "qafla", something like concluding sentence, and as u can see, there's a lot of Farido influence in them :)
Lee, the oud u hear is mine, not electric Haluk, I was referring to Emad's Oud, coz he said he wanted to post something on his new electric haluk, and I am looking forward to hear it soon (the sooner the better). Hopefully, we'll be hearing more recordings soon. Peace!

Yours truly,
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-2-2004 at 08:19 AM

Hey all,

Thanx to mike, I finally got my recroding small enough to post on the site. I hope you guys enjoy and your comments are more than welcome. I dedicate the small portion (very small) of farido influence to bahleh for starting the post again :D.
By the way bahleh, I listened to your recording again and I really like the modulation toward the end. I don't know what maqam you switched to but the transition was very smooth. Great Job :buttrock:.
So here is my recroding. The quality is kind of bad but oh well. I hope we get some more recordings. It would be a shame for this thread to just fall back and be forgotten.
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-2-2004 at 10:58 AM
My Noodlings

OK... here is something that I haven't been able to get out of my head. Its not really a Taksim and the makam is ambiguous (it could be Kurd but it also seems to be Nahawand on G) – anyway... here goes nothing:

regards,

Lee Varis
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-2-2004 at 12:38 PM

Lee,

Very nice my man, I thought it was really cool. The melodic line sounds very familiar to me but I can't recall what it is. Lets keep em comin folks :xtreme:
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-2-2004 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by revaldo29
The melodic line sounds very familiar to me but I can't recall what it is.

Yea... I've been listening to way too much Anuar Brahem

regards,

Lee Varis
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-3-2004 at 03:42 PM

Ok, Basel, I think you are a wonderful man too, but don't take that the wrong way ;), if you know what I mean!:))

Since no one besides revaldo seems to want to learn the taqasim from Bil Afrah, I suppose I will take some time to post to this thread. I haven't had a chance to practice that one more anyway. Criticize away, beacuse I can't develop the maqam at all. Just copying some elements from Issa Boulos and Farid of course.

revaldo29
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-3-2004 at 05:21 PM

Jameel,
Great playing. Yeah, I was wondering if we were ever going to learn that taqssim but oh well. We can always pick it back up if you have time, or continue it on this thread. Your oud sounds really good. Do you use a computer mic or something else?

:bounce:
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 10-4-2004 at 04:21 AM
You are a killer Jameel

Hey man

What a wonderful phrases and nice playing Jameel.

You did that comfortably and you even had no mercy on us poor listeners.

Too Good Jameelo

keep on playing man

Emad
bahleh13
Oud Maniac

thumbup.gif posted on 10-4-2004 at 09:00 AM
Wonderful

Jameel this taksim was great, very beautiful, and influence seems minimal, I'd say u r starting to develop (if not developed already) ur own style. You didnt have any mercy on us listeners as Emad says

*suddenly noticed something*

Emad Bay?! Izzayyak?! Wa7ishna awi!!! Nice to hear from u and read ur comments. Where's the 100$... I mean... The taksim u promised us on ur new Haluk electric Oud?! not only I, but I believe a lot await it.

Lee, ur "noodling" is excellent and more Kurd than nahawand (u see the nahawand is actually the upper scale of Kurd, and ur base tone D is all over the piece, so all know even if they only hear the fragments on G that maqam is Kurd). Very good and keep it up. I am sure I also heard it somewhere, cant remember though *scratching head*

Revaldo... I can easily tell u played it off D. Well, all taksim is great, however u need a little work on ur E, which should full flat, not half flat. The taksim is a perfect (and i mean perfect) bayati taksim (makes me confident u know fully how to play bayati). In upper parts however ur sentences were totally Kurd (u sense it by feeling the music), so I guess u wont have a hard time at all to play kurd once u work on ur E. I will post for u a little recording with both bayati and Kurd for u to compare. I will start with bayati (what u played) and later with kurd (what u should/will play- I am confident u will :) ) Hope this clears out any discrepencies on the maqam. Any further questions, I'll be glad to answer when i take a break from the tons of books I have to read :D

Where are all the others?! I thought everybody liked Kurd!! I await your participation. Peace!!

Yours Truly,

P.S. Jameel I didnt get what u meant, but I hope the "wonderful" thing is PG rated ;) (was that it?!)
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-4-2004 at 08:53 PM

Ahhh ya bahleh, enta omri elybtada be3omrak sabahoo.

Thanks for the clarification on the E. I'm still not trained enough to distinguish between the half and quarter steps by ear. I actually spent like a month learning Enat Omri by listening to Afif's rendetion. The thing is that I never learn it with maqams, just memorize the sounds. I'm still not used to the concept of the "core notes" in each maqam.I never really understood the diffence between maqams like Ajam and Kurd, or Rast and Bayyati ( although I believe the quarter E is a little different in each of those scales). So when learning a song like enta omri, I never really know what maqam i'm in although I know that I am in the Bflat major scale. So my question is, how can u tell the difference between kurd and ajam? Becuase I always find myself wondering which notes to settle on when moving up or down the maqam.
But yeah thanx for pointing out the wrong note in my playing. This thread becomes pretty useless if we don't receive criticism where criticism is due.
Great second recording by the way, I really liked the bayyati taqssim.

:buttrock:
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-4-2004 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
Ahhh ya bahleh, enta omri elybtada be3omrak sabahoo.

benoorak* :D
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 10-4-2004 at 11:58 PM

Quote:
[snip] I always find myself wondering which notes to settle on when moving up or down the maqam.

I find the page from http://www.turath.org/Resources/MaqamTrans.htm a very good reference sheet to have handy.

Regards,

Greg
mourad_X
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-5-2004 at 04:09 AM

wow jameel what a great taqasim
very nice, ...mabrouk

and what a nice sound is that the ibrahim sukar oud?
my guru in marocco has an ibrahim sukar oud also
and it has a very deep and wonderfuel sound
i lke to play on it when i'm at his house

egards
mourad

:bowdown:
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-13-2004 at 07:16 PM
Hello Fine people

:wavey:

Sorry for the delay.

Jameel, Basel, Lee and every body. I miss you all - I was just busy and did not have time to record. PLease accept my share in that maqam.

Yours ,

Emad from Sydney
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 10-13-2004 at 07:55 PM

Emad,

You are the maestro. Beautiful!

Regards,

Greg
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-13-2004 at 08:20 PM

Wow, Sydney, you are a true pro. Very nice recording my man. I loved it :bowdown:
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-13-2004 at 10:28 PM
Wow...

Really... everybody is so good! I just went back and listened to everything again and its really inspiring to hear how different everyone's interpretation is.

Emad... you get such a great tone, really lovely vibrato and subtle risha work, very nice phrasing– the ending is great... thats not your electric oud is it?

Basel... you get this great "punch" in your risha, I guess thats the effect of the soft risha – great arabic feel to the lines!

Revaldo... very nice though the recording is a bit harsh – I love that tremolo with baselines that builds into the high register!

Jameel... man... I just love your qaflat... somehow I just can't find the right place to stop but you do it with ease! I think you sell yourself short... really nice feeling to your taqasim!

I bow to all...

regards,

Lee Varis
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 02:58 AM
Thank you all

:wavey::bowdown:

Hey fine people. Thank you so much for your nice words. Greg, Lee and revaldo29 thanks very much.

Lee, Next maqam I'll use my Haluk Electric oud. ... man you won't be able to tell the differance.

Hello Basel , I miss you so much too man. How is life treating you brother? Be well.

Everybody please come on join in

I look forward to the next maqam... any ideas what will it be?

Regards,

Emad
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 11:34 AM

Emad,

fantastic, man. by the way, nice nod to Sounbati . . .

Jameel,
excellent. great transitions & modulations.

you guys are inspiring.

Brian
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 03:39 PM

okay here's something. not really a taqsim and it has a lot of bad notes, i'm warning you now . . . anyway, I figured I should post something.

btw, this is one of Najib's ouds.

kurd improvisation
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 05:51 PM

Hey all,

Thanks Lee for your kind words. Its very exciting to see that the thread is still active and to hear everyone's playing.
Brian, nice job my man. This is what improv. is all about, playing what you feel. It was very soothing. How do you get your recording to be so clean? If you listened to mine, you can tell that the quality is really bad. I just use the computer mic. Do you use any kind of editing software?
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 08:42 PM
Hey Brian

:bowdown:

I simply loved all your bad notes.

Please post more of that brother.

:applause: nice oud , cool risha too

Emad
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top