Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Jameel Khalaf, GoldCaster gold oud.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-11-2011 at 04:11 PM
Jameel Khalaf, GoldCaster gold oud.

I feel silly posting this but it is the strangest thing I have seen in the world of the oud.

This company called goldcaster, which makes stratocasters in solid gold has tried their hand at making solid gold ouds. The only thing is that it was obviously no idea wtf they are doing...

I wonder if the the extent of their research was to google oud and rip the design of the first website they found. They must have landed on Jameel's website and basically they photo copied the design of his first oud shamsa and cast it in gold ! LOL
Obviously the person who made the oud has no idea what was written in side the oud.

Jameel buddy, I dont know if are aware of this but its pretty awful if they did this without you knowing.

http://www.goldcaster.net/oud.html
check this link for close up pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MXuY0DsOnc&feature=related

It also has some design elements from John Downing's medieval oud copy.

$250,000.00 gold laminated oud. Made by some Joseph King from the Khalaf Ikhwan family it seems :D

I have seen everything...

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-11-2011 at 06:40 PM

Samir,

I have to say, when I read your post I laughed out loud. That has got to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen. A solid gold oud? Not surprised there (some rich Arab oil tycoon will buy it, and maybe play it on his gold toilet.)

This Joseph King fellow obviously has no clue that my name is on this "instrument." Or maybe he does. Who knows?

I appreciate your support cousin, but lets both lean back and have a good laugh over this. I'm no lawyer, but I bet if he sells this thing with my name on it I could get a cut of the price. Lets see, 25% of 1.3 million is...

Its so much fun watching that talk show clip with our little "inside knowledge!"

DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 04:15 AM

Oh my, that's surreal. That's possibly the least tasteful thing I've seen all year and it's been a pretty tasteless year.

He might have got the epigram, but he kind of messed up Jameel's nice clean lines.

I'd still be tempted to sue though!
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 05:54 AM

Aaargh!!

Some years ago when working full time as an historical tinsmith I built a full size, functional 'copy' of an early 19th C French guitar (by Grobert) entirely in tinplate - with brass decoration and strings - just for fun (and as an exhibition piece for my work).
This thread reminds me that some time ago on this forum - on a topic dealing with another gold plated oud - I mentioned that an oud in tinplate might be my next metalworking project of this kind. Never did get around to it and I have long since given up trying to earn a living as a tinsmith but ......

The plan would be to make an exact, full size copy of a real oud (Turkish Manol model perhaps?). This would be a lot quicker to make than one in wood and the best part is that I would be willing to sell it for the bargain price of say $100,000 gold plated or a mere $50,000 for the tinplate utility model (plus shipping and handling, of course, to anywhere in the world).
Alternatively one made in contrasting copper and brass would be more of a challenge (those metals are more difficult to work and assemble than tinplate) and which if cared for might last for centuries. I can imagine music historians scratching their heads over it 500 years from now!

So - time to blow the dust of my tinsmithing tools and check my stocks of metal.
Watch this space - but don't hold your breath!
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 09:00 AM

The youtube link is surreal . . .
http://youtu.be/DW-ESk2FBB4?t=2m10s

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
ultragroove
Oud Maniac

Mood: Athar Kurd

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 09:18 AM

WTF??? this is simply disgusting. the oud and that show. brrrrrrrrrr.

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 01:24 PM

Oops! Must revise the pricing.
The other earlier topic about gold plated ouds can be found on ' An oud for $620,000 Ud!!!!!' on this forum posted on 12-21-2006.

Looks like there is a profitable market for this stuff.
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-13-2011 at 12:28 AM

By the way, is there not something a little April Foolish about this maker's name, Joe King??? This isn't Jameel having a laugh is it?
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Jerk :)

[*] posted on 12-22-2011 at 02:31 AM

As it is said in french language:

Le ridicule ne tue plus!!!

spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 12-22-2011 at 05:06 AM

:D

Go To Top