Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: pick guard
fayyazi
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-13-2012 at 07:09 AM
pick guard

does anyone know if oud pick guards are available for sale on the net? and if not how do you make them so thin? i have come across blank guitar pick guards which are self adhesive PVC plastic but they are at least 1 - 1.5 mm thick and do not look very natural...thanks
ExtreamTarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: ...Lessa Faker...

[*] posted on 1-13-2012 at 08:31 AM

A nice piece of wood veneer cut to the desired shape can make a pick guard, I think that's what most oud makers use...
BaniYazid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-13-2012 at 08:34 AM

Hi,

You can use wood veneer, some are very thin. Depend on your location, look for a wood supplier. Thin veneer is not easy to cut. Other in this forum can advise you better than me on the good way to do that.

Regards
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 1-13-2012 at 01:15 PM

Other than the tape on the back (essential!) I also found that saturating the veneer with shellac helps "keep it together". I had good success using transparent tape, which allowed me to cut with a razor blade from the back, through the tape, which also helped prevent chipping. And worst case, even if it splits in a spot on you, if it's otherwise a successful cutout, once you glue it down (liquid hide glue works well for this, and is easily undone), a crack can be barely noticeable and only add to the "natural" look.
fayyazi
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-13-2012 at 05:49 PM

wow guys! thank you all soo much for your informative replies :bowdown: i shall follow your advice to the detail. thanks again

Go To Top