Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Poll: Kürschner Strings
Yes, for Classic Arabic tuning --- 8 (61.54%)
Yes, for Arabic high f' Tuning --- 1 (7.69%)
Yes, for old Turkish/Armenian Tuning --- 1 (7.69%)
Yes, for Modern C#-d Turkish Tuning --- 1 (7.69%)
No, they are too expensive --- 1 (7.69%)
No, I don't like them --- 1 (7.69%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Kürschner Strings
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 02:29 PM

Kürschner strings are now in stock.

http://www.oudstrings.com/index.php?route=product/category&path...

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Mehran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 02:37 PM

Hey Brian,

Question.
What are the approximate tensions of the different arabic sets (light, medium, heavy)? Ive asked kurschner but havent got a response yet. Thought you could shed a little light on that for us.

Cheers pal.

Mehran
Plum_Pasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 05:30 PM

Kürschners are pretty much the standard amongst Istanbul luthiers, and although some top udists there are always looking for something better, these strings are sort of the default — when I lived there that was all I ever bought (directly from their workshop in Unkapanı ), both for ud and lâvta. I have come to prefer to put Aquilas on the higher two courses (partly because they sound great and partly because they last forever, if you can avoid a sharp-edged mızrap), but I still use Kürschners for the lower ones — I brought many packs back with me when I returned to the US 2 years ago. I can definitely recommend them, but I must say I am so used to buying them at Istanbul prices (maybe $9 or $10?) that $38-$45 strikes me as outrageous — Brian, I know that shipping costs from Turkey are really high, but I wonder if you can get them for a better wholesale price? This is the shop where I used to get them: http://kenanozten.com/urunlerimiz_eng.htm — they also make and repair kanuns, but I thought they were making the strings in the same building. Good luck!

adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 06:52 AM

Hi Brian,
Just sent you a u2u PM...

Adam
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 07:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Plum_Pasha  
Kürschners are pretty much the standard amongst Istanbul luthiers, and although some top udists there are always looking for something better, these strings are sort of the default — when I lived there that was all I ever bought (directly from their workshop in Unkapanı ), both for ud and lâvta. I have come to prefer to put Aquilas on the higher two courses (partly because they sound great and partly because they last forever, if you can avoid a sharp-edged mızrap), but I still use Kürschners for the lower ones — I brought many packs back with me when I returned to the US 2 years ago. I can definitely recommend them, but I must say I am so used to buying them at Istanbul prices (maybe $9 or $10?) that $38-$45 strikes me as outrageous — Brian, I know that shipping costs from Turkey are really high, but I wonder if you can get them for a better wholesale price? This is the shop where I used to get them: http://kenanozten.com/urunlerimiz_eng.htm — they also make and repair kanuns, but I thought they were making the strings in the same building. Good luck!

I can't imagine that you were paying $10, even in Turkey. If so, it's possible that we're not talking about the same strings, since they have changed in the past couple of years. I don't know what to say about that.

The $38-$48 is the list price that Kurschner states for their strings. I'm actually selling the standard sets for around $30, and the premium sets made from lute strings for $37.75.

Matthias' shop in Germany is selling the 406103 set for $46, whereas I am charging $29.75, so while I can't compare to Turkey, I think my price seems reasonable.

Compared to Pyramid or Savarez, they are relatively inexpensive.

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 08:39 AM

there is a big misunderstanding about the Kürschner strings...
There are 2 (or 3) kind of Kürschner strings... One is made in GERMANY from Bernd Kürschner himself and they are of high quality lute strings (and expensive). And then there are Kürschner MADE IN TURKEY (until this year made in workshop of Kenan Özten and from this year made in workshop of Baris Karatekeli in Izmir). They are good quality and not so expensive but my opinion they are not the same league as the german strings..

I hope i helped a little bit.
Brian has the German stuff

N.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 08:58 AM

Actually, I have both, the "Premium" sets are the lute strings, the "Oud" sets are as described.

All Kurschner "oud" sets are made in Turkey, as far as I know.

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 02:55 PM

Hi Brian,
Confusing stuff but Multi Kulti is pretty much confirming what I was getting at in private.

Really could be wrong but my hunch is also that the strings you have access to are made in Germany and not the Ks that are widespread in Turkey. If they are the same as the K lute strings, I've never tried them before but have been really curious.

I'm sure they'll be more clear if you ask...

Adam
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 05:19 PM

They gave me some extra sets that aren't labeled like the others, just marked "oud". I wonder if they are the ones you are talking about. I sent them an email inquiring.

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 04:44 AM

This Germany Turkey question does need sorting, The Arabic light set 401103 as described on the German Kurschner website is also the basic set Brian has and there is no oud premium set available from direct from the Kurschner site. They really need to make it all clear like Pyramid i.e. Orange label or lute strings. The 401103 set I have ordered several times via the Kurshner site is excellent (lute quality), am I now to believe there is a better set (premium) which they offer via Brian?. Either way, thanks Brian for the fine ongoing development of ousdstrings.com. You are doing us all a great service.

Best Wishes, Charlie
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top