Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: 'Manol"1904 for sale
omazuz
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-19-2012 at 10:24 AM
'Manol"1904 for sale

"Manol" 1904,l .The Oud was bought for 6000$ and I will sell it for 5000$.
The Oud is located in Israel,and I'm not interested in shipping the Oud abroad.
The price is not negotiable,however,if the purchaser comes from America,he will be reimbursed 2/3 of the flight ticket.
A purchaser from Europe will be reimbursed the entire amount of the ticket. For a purchaser from Israel the cost will be 4500$.
I'm having trouble compressing the sound file so i will sent it by request.

manol001.JPG - 74kB manol002.JPG - 73kB manol003.JPG - 59kB manol004.JPG - 67kB

Attachment: manol.mp3 (951kB)
This file has been downloaded 377 times

manol label.jpg - 42kB
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 1-19-2012 at 12:39 PM

Hello,

Would you please post a clear photo or two of the label inside?

Thank you,

Mavrothi

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
omazuz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-22-2012 at 09:55 PM

I sent you utu
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 1-22-2012 at 10:05 PM

Dear Omazuz,

Congratulations, this looks like a wonderful antique instrument.

Would you be prepared to submit high quality close-up photographs of several aspects of this oud for verification by an expert?
I had in mind Dr. Cengiz Sarikus, as he is very familair with Manols.

Regards,

Greg
omazuz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 01:42 AM

Dear Greg and other members of the forum,

Indeed such an oud deserves more professional pictures I will post some of them later on this evening.
Honorable Dr. Sarikus is certainly the ultimate expert for Manols and other antique ouds. In fact this oud was bought from him by my friend Michael Avital so definitely he can and will assure the authenticity of this gem.
I am sure you all have noticed that the oud is strung and tuned for arabic tuning so it is obvious that the oud sounds wonderfull in turkish tuning as well
Best regards
aytayfun
Oud Junkie

Mood: luthier and player

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 05:21 AM

Absolutely Manol. But not sure about the bridge. We had to see the sr,tring holes of the bridge. If it has wo holes for yegah location than its original. The shape of the bridge from the picture is not consistent wih Manol. we had to see more clear pictures.

Dr. Tayfun AYDIN
aytayfun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 05:23 AM

I think that the master used walnut and plum.:)

Dr. Tayfun AYDIN
aytayfun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 05:25 AM

The label is also a classic Manol. (without signature) :))

Dr. Tayfun AYDIN
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 06:36 AM

Hi,

I think this instrument is beautiful in both sound and appearance, and your playing omazuz is wonderful.

However, the label looks like another label I have seen from a known forgery. The tear is in the exact same position (b/c it is a photocopy) and in this label they have even tried to cover the original photocopied date "1904" by writing "1905" over it.

I am not saying that I am 100% certain your oud is not by Emmanuel Venios (Manol), but it is very worrying that the label seems to be "familiar."

Since this oud was from Dr. Sarikus' shop, I hope he can clarify what's going on.

Thanks, and great playing again by omazuz.

Mavrothi

fake label 1905.jpg - 39kB

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 06:44 AM

:shrug:

omazuz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 06:57 AM

Dear Dr. Sarikus

Please put some light on the subject.
This oud came from your shop and you are the person that can clarify the matter.
btw I wish I could play like this but the wonderfull playing is by Udi Nizar Rohana.....
omazuz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 07:41 AM

Dear Dr. Sarikus

I read my last post and it looks to me a little bit vague.
The question is very simple is Mavrothis right// is the oud fake//
Is this sad smily of Spyros in place//
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 01:15 PM

Hello Omazuz,
if something like that [I mean the oud not to be original],than that is very sad,and that will bring the question of how many fake ouds with labels of Manol exist.....
My Face was a wonderind and sad face at the same time.
The price for these instruments sometimes is really high,and believe me I know from my own experience.
I hardly wait to see the end of this discution,because is very interesting and with a lot of suspence.
Warmest Regards
Spyros

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 04:44 PM

Hi,

I have to say, through all of this discussion (here & over email) Ofer (omazuz) has continued to have such a great attitude. I really appreciate it, and the positive and cordial discussion we've been having from the beginning. This is great to see, and I believe regardless all will work out for the best. Ofer, you have a great spirit! And Udi Nizar, health to your hands!

Ofer has asked me to help post some more pictures of the oud, and here is the first batch. Those of you who are most knowledgeable on Manol ouds and others made in the last 50-100 years are welcome to make your observations.

Thank you,

Mavrothi

front.gif - 700kB face2.gif - 442kB face.gif - 371kB bowl.gif - 726kB kafes.gif - 381kB kafes2.gif - 418kB kafesler.gif - 396kB bridge.gif - 604kB bridge2.gif - 631kB end.gif - 373kB

--Edgard Varèse
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 04:45 PM

The remaining pictures:

neck.gif - 709kB pegbox.gif - 672kB pegbox2.gif - 614kB

--Edgard Varèse
veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud making

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 11:31 PM

please wait for response ...
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 12:27 AM

Omazuz!

I hope all works out to the best!

Keep the good spirit!

I think this is a nice oud anyway!

Best of luck

The wood might be dead, but the oud is alive.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 01:52 AM

Fingers crossed but what a beautiful looking and sounding oud whatever the outcome ... I suppose the only difference would be the final price because the sound is the sound :)

Amazing playing from Nizar.

Leon
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 01:54 AM

Dear Mavro,

I'm not sure I understand your argument. The label that omazuz is showing on his oud says 1904 and is not overwritten with 1905.

The label you are showing, which I don't know exactly where it comes from, is the one with the overwritting.

Why does that make omazuz's oud suspect ? Am I missing something? His oud label could have been copied by another party totally unbeknownst to him, or even before he bought it, or even before the previous owner bought it.

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Spyros C.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 03:15 AM

Just a thought, but could the 'fake' 1905 label have been copied from the 'original' label on Omazuz's 1904 oud ???

Tantalising thought.

Leon
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 04:16 AM

Hi Spyrosc -

As I said previously, the tear in both labels is exactly the same (that was the 1st red flag). And since the known forgery clearly also originally had the year 1904, this makes both labels exactly the same. Same tear. Same year.

The fact that the known forgery had a different year written over the photocopied year just made it 100% clear that it was fake. It's easy to just focus on that b/c upon close inspection the hand written "1905" is so clearly a forgery.

*edit* - To clarify more - the known forged label was from an oud offered to me for sale a few years ago, which was located in Turkey. That instrument, and two others also described to me to be authentic Manols, had other clear issues too. The sound boards looked very new for one thing. As far as I know, those instruments had nothing to do with Dr. Sarikus or his workshop.

Could omazuz's label be the original that was used for the photocopies? Possibly, but I think it is reasonable to point out that they are identical. Also, I think it is more likely that the authentic, ripped, 1904 label came from a damaged Manol bowl w/out soundboard, but that is just a theory.

Also, we should remember that a 'younger' oud can look as old as 100 years old. I am fortunate to own a 1963 Karibyan which looks 100 years old, even though it is really around 50 years old. *end of edit*

Thanks,

Mavrothi

--Edgard Varèse
veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 05:49 AM

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
omazuz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 06:31 AM

What's up doc?
veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 08:09 AM

hi eveybody ,

i have read your whole comments and i became sad.

i have repered 551 manol ouds from 1966 till now.

Also i saw a lot of forgery untill now.

most of this ouds were terrible stuations and are not enough for playing. We complate some of thems bars , resettas , allso if there is some missing inlays we repair them as good as we can.

so i can say that its impossible making exactly same copy of manol ouds.because he has very special forum.So i am the only one who knows manol ouds and also i am writing a book about him and i have his first label which is pictured of manol.

Dear omuzaz

your oud is full original. also you sell it cheap . now you can not find this oud less then 10.000 usd.because it became very difficult to find manol anymore.

if you want to be sure you can show some luthier who is good at of manol ouds.

when 1905 years oud came to me there was 4 broken pices over body.this broken pieces were changed.so the label was slited from two part.then pasted again. we didnt do any thing . also i never play to labels.

i realised when i repairing that , this 1905 years oud has repaired three times before me.because i saw one time changed arround rosettas , one time opened the soundboard and changed some broken part , one time opened saoundboard again and changed same parts second times. actually i realised that somebody changed the date but i dont understand who did and why overwrite it.

for instance if its written 1894 instead of 1904 we can say that somebody wanted this oud more aged and gets higer price but only one year to future (not to past) is not important.

i think the master saw the 1904 very waek and wanted to became more clearly but while he was writing he wrete - 5 , instead of - 4 . Also we must consider these old masters knew Ottoman letters (old alphabeth) better then turkish. so this wrong is normal for them.

finally

both labels are different (look at the picture . there are two tears. not one like omazuz oud )

both oud is original and made of manol.

thanks everybody who comment

Dr. Cengiz Sarikus

DSC07889.JPG - 32kB
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 08:20 AM

Hi Dr. Sarikus,

Thank you for replying, I appreciate it. When I first contacted omazuz, I was not aware that either of these ouds came through your shop, let alone both. Also, when someone says something is a "forgery," some parts could be authentic, but maybe something is not - like the soundboard for example.

I don't see two tears/rips in the "1905" label, could you point out where the second tear is?

Also, isn't it strange that the tear in each label has the exact same shape and path through the letters?

I think to be sure for either label they have to be examined to see if the tears/rips are real or just a photocopied image. If you didn't touch the labels, it is still possible someone else did something before you isn't it?

Thank you again.

Sincerely,

Mavrothi

--Edgard Varèse
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top