Author: Subject: Turkish Tuning for arabic oud
spartan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2012 at 05:02 AM
Turkish Tuning for arabic oud

Hello

I have a little problem

My oud is an arabic Shehata oud tuned CC to cc using Aquila strings

For a few days I have to play with some other guys that use the turkish tuning DD to dd.

What is the best to do?

1. Simply change the tuning of the existing strings one note higher?

2. Change the strings with some other set?

3. Any other advice?

Thanks in advance

Danielo
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-30-2012 at 05:20 AM

Hi,

never tune an arabic oud to turkish tuning with a standard string set ! You will destroy your oud.

If you want to raise the tuning by one full step up, you need to use very low tension strings...

An example of custom Aquila string set for a string length of 61,5cm, tension about 3,6 kg:

d': 52NG
a: 68NG
e: 91NG
B: 124D
G: 155D
D: 210D

Dan

Marcus
Oud Junkie

Mood: Lost in music

[*] posted on 1-30-2012 at 05:47 AM

Hi spartan :wavey:

even if many oudies here get gooseskin.......what about a good capodaster?
I tried it when I steped in a "turkish session" once.
It is not a ideal solution, but it works.It just needs a few hours of practice to get into it.

Greets,

Marcus

Playing the oud is like feeding my soul with peace
spartan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2012 at 07:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marcus  
Hi spartan :wavey:

even if many oudies here get gooseskin.......what about a good capodaster?
I tried it when I steped in a "turkish session" once.
It is not a ideal solution, but it works.It just needs a few hours of practice to get into it.

Greets,

Marcus

i ve already bought one
But even if you can always fit it in the right position, the main problem is that if you want to play on higher tones, is more difficult I think
DoggerelPundit
Oud Junkie

Mood: Odar

[*] posted on 1-30-2012 at 05:37 PM

Hi Spartan,

Another approach would be to consider getting a Cumbus. They are generally tuned DAEBAE--a popular Turkish tuning--and play very much the same as an oud. Happily, you can get hold of a good sounding one at far less money than a good Turkish oud. Mostly I see prices at $250 and down.

The neck adjustment key is cool too. Once the Cumbus is in tune with itself, a twist of the key puts you in tune with the band, almost no matter where they are. Also, it laughs at the damp air associated with camping and camp fire sessions.

-Stephen
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 1-31-2012 at 02:09 AM

Explain to the Turks that they are wrong. That they stress their instruments and their voices, they notate wrong, and they would be much happier tuning one whole tone lower. While you are at it, tell them that their overly frilly ornamentation is unmanly, and their little ouds are for girls. When you get out of the hospital, everything will be corrected, as you will be singing a whole lot higher.
spartan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-31-2012 at 02:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
Explain to the Turks that they are wrong. That they stress their instruments and their voices, they notate wrong, and they would be much happier tuning one whole tone lower. While you are at it, tell them that their overly frilly ornamentation is unmanly, and their little ouds are for girls. When you get out of the hospital, everything will be corrected, as you will be singing a whole lot higher.

:bowdown::bowdown:
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 1-31-2012 at 11:58 AM

Hello Spartan- IMHO the best and most rewarding (in the long term) approach is to keep your oud tuned Arabic as you like it, and then learn to play as best as possible in the keys that your Turkish musical friends are playing in.
For example with some effort and concentration, I don't see why you couldn't learn to play in the keys of E or E minor, Bb, B major/minor, A major or A minor and so on. As for playing in the key of D minor or D major, this is of course not a problem for Arabic tuning, as is C minor or C major and so on.
As far as half sharp/flat notes, this would require further work, but I think any oud player playing in some form of Arabic tuning could and should be able to learn to play in the keys of our Turkish brothers and sisters without tuning some or all their strings up or down. You may not be able to play in all as well as those using Turkish tuning, but I believe those in Arabic tuning can play to some degree in tunings considered tricky. From my own experience I had to play with musicians playing in E major and B major. I tune Arabic/Iraqi with high ff, and after some effort and work I was able to play fairly well in keys that might be regarded as tricky for Arabic tuning.
Tricky yes, impossible no. :)
Or buy a Turkish ud.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 1-31-2012 at 12:16 PM

I dunno, i might have thought the same, but there are resonant effects that only happen e.g. on Rast or Bayati. A lot of the oud sound comes from sympathetic excitation of open strings. If it's an important gig, changing strings to a lighter set and tuning Turkish is not THAT difficult. If it's not, the capo might be good enough.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-31-2012 at 12:24 PM

You can get perfectly serviceable Turkish ouds pretty inexpensively; if this is something you anticipate happening from time to time, it would be worth it to just get a cheap Turkish oud and keep it in Turkish tuning.

Who knows, maybe you'll be drawn over to the dark side . . .

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top