Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Newly Invented Instrument: Nautilauta
Plum_Pasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-21-2012 at 01:00 PM

Just one week left to help fund this little rebel — we can use a dollar if that's what you can give — thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/610528987/the-nautilauta

Eric
Plum_Pasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-22-2012 at 04:11 PM

6 days left, lads! Woo - hoo!
Plum_Pasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-22-2012 at 11:53 PM

Wow — over 650 views of this thread! If everybody were to throw $3 into the pot you could actually *hear* a nautilauta by summer!

Remember: the last guy in the parade has to clean up after the elephants!
Plum_Pasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-24-2012 at 11:32 AM

The good news? I'll only be bugging you about this for another 5 days! Weee!

Already at 64% — thanks for pledges so far today go to Jonathan Cossu and Rellik Nissassa — pioneers, I tell you!

Come chuck a couple dollars at it yourself, why don't ya!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/610528987/the-nautilauta
MatthewVanitas
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-25-2012 at 01:08 PM

Chipped in for the album, and I posted up plugs for your KS a couple places, and do believe I lured you in a $50 already, so updated that in the Project thread here. Looking forward to seeing what comes of this!

Question on the $100 level: does the song we pick go onto the actual album, or is it just that we get a personal .mp3 of the song of our choice?
Plum_Pasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-25-2012 at 04:54 PM

Matt — that's a good question, which I should have clarified: my intention is that the album be all original material (unless we happen to record a cover that just blows our socks off), so if it's a cover it most likely would be delivered just to the backer, but if it's original work (that I am capable of pulling off decently) then it should be considered for the album, I think... does that sound fair?

Thanks for the interest and the question!
Eric
Plum_Pasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-25-2012 at 08:44 PM

I couldn't predict Kickstarter's clock, exactly, but I think the funding cycle will end around noon on Wednesday, Feb. 29 Pacific Standard Time — just sayin'!
Plum_Pasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 05:49 PM

Let's see, there are 828 views of this post so far and $736 left to go — that's $1.13 each. How much was that cup of coffee this morning?
Plum_Pasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-28-2012 at 08:39 AM

Well, we have reached our funding goal! I guess I was a little surprised that this post had been looked at over 860 times, and another like it under "Oud Projects" about 200 times and yet only 4 people from all of Mike's Oud Forum contributed anything. Live and learn! Thanks to the four of you, and to those who otherwise added your helpful comments to the conversation here!

Best,
Eric
MatthewVanitas
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-28-2012 at 08:53 AM

If you get a chance to put it together, it'd be interesting to see the pie-chart of where all the supporters came from. Partly to see what outreaches worked best.
Plum_Pasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-28-2012 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MatthewVanitas  
If you get a chance to put it together, it'd be interesting to see the pie-chart of where all the supporters came from. Partly to see what outreaches worked best.

Voilà: http://ericederer.com/misc/instruments/images/Nautilauta_Stats_2012...

Sorry it's so small; just a screen grab.

It's possible that some of the "direct traffic" could be from people who first heard about it here, but I think I recognize most of them as coming from other sources. It just seemed to me that this would be a community that would have an above-average interest in such a project, and yet out of apparently over 1,000 people who took a look only four wanted to throw any money at it? $3.60 each would have knocked it out in one swoop — that's what "crowd funding" is!

A blessing on all their children and livestock — I don't know what everyone's situation is, and it's none of my business — I guess I simply shouldn't have had expectations as high as those I had about this particular community. Like I said: live and learn.
abc123xyz
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-28-2012 at 11:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Plum_Pasha  
Well, we have reached our funding goal!

Congratulations. When I went to check your link a few minutes ago (I've been checking it every day) I was delighted to find that you had made your goal, but then right after that I came and read your posts here today.

I guess I was a little surprised that this post had been looked at over 860 times, and another like it under "Oud Projects" about 200 times and yet only 4 people from all of Mike's Oud Forum contributed anything. Live and learn!

What exactly did you "live", and what did you "learn"? It seems as if you believe you gave something to this forum in expectation of some return, but which you subsequently did not receive.

You made your goal, and yet, for some reason, you find it necessary to try to shame those members of this forum who didn't care to fund your project. The wrongness of that aside, what practically do you hope to accomplish by that now?

Thanks to the four of you

But to the rest of us??? lol

It just seemed to me that this would be a community that would have an above-average interest in such a project, and yet out of apparently over 1,000 people who took a look only four wanted to throw any money at it?

[edit]

I don't know what everyone's situation is, and it's none of my business

Our situations are irrelevant. Even if we were all rich as Midas, none of us owes you anything, you do realize that, do you not?

— I guess I simply shouldn't have had expectations as high as those I had about this particular community. Like I said: live and learn.

I guess we should all be ashamed of ourselves for not living up to your expectations.

In any case, good luck with your instrument. I hope you have fun with it.

David

Plum_Pasha
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-28-2012 at 12:55 PM

I admit with shame that I was persuaded by someone with a more aggressive marketing style than mine that I might experiment with his tactic of, as he put it, "shaming people into doing what they actually want to do" — I thought that the harm of it might be little, as the relatively very low level of feedback led me to believe that there was no-one here invested in it even enough to be as put out by such a tack as you were. But you have rightly shown me that it is a thing to regret, and I apologize to you, and to anyone else here whom I have offended by the hubris of my most recent statements.

That said, it indeed did surprise me that so few people in such a relatively small and specialized forum showed as little interest as I have seen, here — that people are conservative with money is not what I meant by my surprise; the money in this case is only a symbolic index of interest (and indeed, if it were literally a matter of $3.60 over 1,000 persons, it would further surprise me to think that most of us would not feel such an expense as symbolic) — but the source of my reaction was not a comparison of what I think I am owed against what I have been offered by strangers; it grew from observing that persons who on the face of it are gathered in a specific community to communicate with each other on a relatively obscure and very particular interest, when presented with a novelty such as this item which, in at least some ways would seem relevant to those very interests, were roused to so little comment. That some of the interest I had expected here might also have been reflected in even symbolic gestures of monetary support is not so far fetched an idea, I think — I can only say that it is an unsettling feeling to offer what I considered an interesting idea to a group of people expressing an interest in very similar things, and to know that over 1,000 persons have seen it and chosen simply to shrug in silence.

There is an example of something I have learned — about presenting something I care about as wares in a marketplace; my expectation was not that I would sell the thing to all who saw it, but that I would find, in this particular venue, a greater number of persons who would care about it.

Am I owed something here? No, I am not. Am I disappointed? I regret that it offends you to know that I am.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top