Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Most oud players are nice players?
luan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 12:30 AM
Most oud players are nice players?

Something that reeeally caught my attention since I'm learning how to play the oud, is that I would say 90% of the oud players I see on youtube are nice players.
By nice players I mean that they can play in tune, and have the basic technique down. If I look for bedroom guitar players on youtube, that number goes down to something like 20% of them having the basics down, IMO.
Another thing that is amazing is that it seems to be sort of a "folk" instrument in the sense that a lot of people play it but they don't necessarily are professional musicians in the sense that they don't work as such and don't expect to do it neither.

Does anybody else agrees and has noticed this?

Thanks!
ameer
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 02:27 AM

Agreed. Much of it is due to the fact that the oud doesn't enjoy the same degree of mainstream popularity as the guitar; people know of it, people will probably enjoy listening to it especially if they're older, but there's no mass production on the scale of the guitar nor is there a bundle of amatures interested in proving their lack of skill. A blessing and a curse at the same time I suppose.
naddad
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 04:29 AM

I'd probably pull down your Youtube average if I were to upload a video... :))

Yes I observed the same thing on youtube, but unfortunately there are way too few videos of oud players, and even fewer learning resources. It saddens me to see that the oud is not a popular instrument in the Arab world, largely overtaken by the guitar. A few weeks ago I was looking on Facebook how many people listed "guitar" as their interest or activity in the Arab world, it came to a few hundred thousand, compared to 5,000 for "oud" if I recall correctly. I'm not sure why that is, I suspect it might be because of a lack of musical innovation in the Arab world and the predominance of Anglo-Saxon music. Another explanation might be that the oud is a pretty damn hard instrument to start with. It's very difficult to play something nice to hear on the oud within a couple of months, while 4 chords on the guitar would cover pretty much 90% of popular songs.

luan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 12:05 PM

Well, we can't really compare the oud to the guitar in terms of how much famous it is. The guitar is an instrument that for most people is like a toy or a computer, everybody has one more or less. That is why there are so many crap guitarists. Simply because there are millions of them! And I have to say, being a guitarist myself, that most guitarist don't notice how far from being good musicians they are. Is not an easy instrument to be fair, but well.
littleseb
Oud Junkie

Mood: high

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 01:23 PM

there must be millions of people who can sort of plug a tune and have an oud at home, dusting it off once in a while, without seeing themselves as 'oud players', and therefor don't bother stating the oud on facebook or uploading clips.
reminds me of the map of oudistan edward posted ages ago:
littleseb
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 02:09 PM

on the oudi vs guitarero point:

i think a lot of guitarists have that rock star fancy about them. liking to pose with their guitars and posting endless clips of themselves hoping to break it big time. oud players seem a little more introvert and get a kick out of playing to themselves and perfecting their skills. i know i'm generalising here, but i think it could partly be the reason for why there is so much more guitar stuff out there. dunno, could be wrong, just sayin like...
luan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 02:23 PM

I agree with that too littleseb
Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 02:28 PM

Oudistan, what a cool idea! LOL :cool:
Recently I discovered the oud in Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Malaysia too..
The guitar has been "abused" a lot, every man and his dog want to be rock stars LOL.
Mind you, Farid El Atache is like the Jimi Hendrix of the oud.
(I like both, by the way).

littleseb
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 02:42 PM

i reckon i'll give the oud a good shot and if that doesn't work out i become a rock star instead.
luan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 04:52 PM

Haha!
Let's check what instrument is better to get groupies
em.20
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 08:17 AM

@littleseb

Does the map show in which regions the oud is popular? Wonders me that Turkey and Greece is on the highest rank.

Go To Top